A compendium

Kver
Administrator

A compendium

Unread postby Kver Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:16 pm

As I was discussing with Frosted yesterday, there is a need to "archive" so to say old guides and theorycrafting threads, but it is also necessary to keep accessible those sources which might hold value today.

We could build an archive forum for the threads easily, but that does not provide us with anything useful for the latter. There are a few possible ways to go about this: first of all there is just making threads and copy those over, but this means that the archives will become crowded and hard to navigate. We could build a wiki and do something like Lhivera's site. The downside is that it requires setting up, and probably people full time on the job, for something which won't be used that much. The last possibility would be making it part of the main website once that is done, but that means more work for me.

Either way we are going to need at least 1 person who can keep track of everything and point out what should be archived.

P.S. no anecdotal discussions about archiving, I want practical solutions.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

I solve problems. Have a problem? Send me a PM!
ZomgDPS

Re: A compendium

Unread postby ZomgDPS Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:35 am

I want practical solutions.
A (imho) potential practical solution could be to leverage already existing infrastructure, such as the existing wikis out there.

Wowpedia or Wowwiki, whichever one, already has class specific sections set up and can (perhaps) be considered "long term" enough to serve purpose.

Though I guess the key is if where the information actually lives is important. If its not, then it shouldn't be too taxing (relatively) to set up a section under mages and keep the info updated there. Sure it would probably require constant effort/updates, but that would be the same under any schema.
"Zom is the ace in the hole you keep for when sh!t hits the fan and you need that clutch. Unleash him then sit back and in just a few seconds all your problems disappear, mainly since they were just melted"
- Archlord Dymon (rBG lead)
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:43 am

I want practical solutions.
A (imho) potential practical solution could be to leverage already existing infrastructure, such as the existing wikis out there.

Wowpedia or Wowwiki, whichever one, already has class specific sections set up and can (perhaps) be considered "long term" enough to serve purpose.

Though I guess the key is if where the information actually lives is important. If not, then it shouldn't be too taxing (relatively) to set up a section under mages and keep the info updated there. Sure it would probably require constant effort/updates, but that would be the same under any schema.
I can quite easily build a wiki here, or just make a special archive forum on archives.altered-time.com. I agree that it'll always require identical effort, I'm primarily concerned with accessibility of said systems. I want people to be able to enter 'ignite' and get all relevant pages. At least, I want them able to easily find them through clicking max 3 deep, rather than reading an entire topic.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

Crabmodem

Unread postby Crabmodem Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:29 am

On the guitar forum I run we take all old but still informative threads to a special section called epic threads. They still come up in the search and people can find them quickly since it only has the best of the best capped threads.
ZomgDPS

Unread postby ZomgDPS Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:19 pm

I want people to be able to enter 'ignite' and get all relevant pages. At least, I want them able to easily find them through clicking max 3 deep, rather than reading an entire topic.
It sounds like you need a librarian.

We have pretty much the exact thing on our guild forums. Basically a wiki with tons of reference material from old posts and patch notes and so on. Though we have a guildy who serves as our Librarian pretty much full time. He sorts and structures the data, categories, and cross links and keeps it all updated in a way that makes it quite easy and intuitive to search through.

So yea... if you were looking for some underlying software back end that does it for you, I'm sure there is some php module out there that does, though in the end, the 'set up work' might end up having more to do with coming up with a sensible data and categorization schema rather than finding a software silver bullet.
"Zom is the ace in the hole you keep for when sh!t hits the fan and you need that clutch. Unleash him then sit back and in just a few seconds all your problems disappear, mainly since they were just melted"
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:51 pm

We would actually need to have somebody incredibly good at theorycrafting(and thus able to distinguish bad from good, etc.) who can be the "librarian" you speak of though. A wiki, a subforum, it all works for me, but it needs to be maintained.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:29 am

We would actually need to have somebody incredibly good at theorycrafting(and thus able to distinguish bad from good, etc.) who can be the "librarian" you speak of though. A wiki, a subforum, it all works for me, but it needs to be maintained.
It can be easier to have Lhiv to keep is blog up-to-date (wiki/calculator) ...
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
Lissanna

Unread postby Lissanna Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Easier for everyone but Lhiv. lol
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:57 pm

Easier for everyone but Lhiv. lol
Yep. I realise that that will never happen :D
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

nathyiel

Unread postby nathyiel Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:11 pm

A quick useful confirmation :
Lhivera ‏@Lhivera
@Nathyiel @Frost1129 "Increased by x%" wording is always multiplicative in Warlords. See new theorycrafting thread in alpha forum.
So in short, a brainfreeze Frostfirebolt will do with 20% perk and 25% buff :

Code: Select all

base_damage *1.2 *1.25
my twitter : @nathyiel
my armory : Nathyiel (DalaranEU)
Frost rocks on cleave but Fire reigns on AoE. Where is Arcane ?
ZomgDPS

Unread postby ZomgDPS Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Talking about dataz and compendiums. Whoever will take charge of this compendium should probably add this post somewhere:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... ?page=1#16" target="_blank

While most of the hit or miss stuff may end up not applying too much, it will help in the immediate timeframe by allowing us to compensate for the damage scaling that happens per level during testing.
Berlinia

Unread postby Berlinia Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:52 am

Maybe someone start checking the old WoD bta threads and add them to the archive?
Kver
Administrator

Unread postby Kver Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:29 pm

That's perfectly fine if somebody wishes to volunteer. That person can get into contact with me so we can figure out the juicy details.
Twitter!

It were as it be it were

Return to “Suggestions and Feedback”