DPS help on Brackenspore

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Songette

DPS help on Brackenspore

Unread postby Songette Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:37 pm

So, we managed to kill mythic brackenspore last night. I'm not very satisfied with my DPS since the other mage in the group had much lower item level and still had higher DPS.

Here's the log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/q2 ... y&source=9" target="_blank

Any tips are appreciated. Thank you in advance :3
smartys

Re: DPS help on Brackenspore

Unread postby smartys Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:36 pm

I know its not a really good tip but arcane is much stornger on this fight than frost which is one of the weakest speccs :P

Might be the easiest solution :P
Shinobars

Unread postby Shinobars Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:01 pm

I know its not a really good tip but arcane is much stornger on this fight than frost which is one of the weakest speccs :P

Might be the easiest solution :P
Eight of the top ten mage parses on Mythic Brackenspore are frost. Only one is arcane.
At the 50th percentile, frost is only slightly behind arcane.

My guild is currently progressing on Mythic Brackenspore, so I don't have any attempts longer than two minutes to compare with yet. However, the choice of specialization shouldn't be that large of a hit to DPS on this fight.
Azo

Unread postby Azo Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:26 pm

Most obvious is that other mage played with PC and you with TV. PC seem to be more common amongst high ranks excluding those with flamthrower buff. Good use of PC will most likely generate a higher overall DPS. The possitive thing with TV is that you don't lock yourself to a target and can easily swap to sporeshooters but neither of you barely touch the sporeshooters so that isn't relevant here.

Both of you've roughly the same CPM. Who of you got higher haste or is there a noticeble difference? If there isn't you're not running around doing nothing while other mage is killing things. The other mage also used blazing speed while you used ice floes. I't subjective to some degree I guess but I find ice fleos more usefull.

Cooldowns.

Your cooldown usage is unconsitent. Shard of nothing is macroed with MI which is appropriate. It's a 9 minute fight so you have potiential 5 uses of your MI+trinket macro but you use it 4 (1+3). First incombat use you delay 1 minute to stack it with IV that way you loose 1 use of MI and trinket. You just plain loose 1 use that way since you only use MI with IV 1 time. If you used both MI and IV when they came of CD both would stack at 6 minutes so you would get them stacked just as many times. So you delay MI 1 minute to stack it with first incombat IV and for that you trade 1 MI use. But if you didn't delay MI and IV would stak just as many times.

Every third frozen orb should be used with IV especially if you play with TV. At 3 minutes they stack nicely. At 6 minutes you cast frozen orb 12 seconds before you cast IV. In a 9 minute fight you'll cast IV 3 times. You should have delayed that IV at 6 minutes (since you used FO earlier) to 8 minutes where you once again would've the oppurtunity to use it with MI+FO (and with MI+trinket if you didn't delay first use) without loosing an IV-use. Your frozen orb despawn and then you pop IV and without casting it later. Delaying FO is perfectly fine because it might be the only time when boss stand still or there might be an add up but if so you should delay IV to either next FO or next MI+FO depending on fight duration and situation.

Other mage had planned his cooldown usage before the fight. He or she had decided to use FO on every PC and time cooldowns after PC. At 0, 3 and 6 minutes other mage stack FO+IV+PC. As it turns out he or she lost 10 seconds of IV for MI. But if fight lasted 20 seconds shorter other mage would have lost uptime on MI if delaying it. So there and then it might stil have been the right descision.

Other mage stack cooldowns better and used trinket+MI 1 more time then you.

FoF, BF-FFB.

You casted 4 more ice lances then you got procs which mean you propably didn't munch any. But can you amke better use of your ice floes and/or position yourself ebtter so you don't have to cast IL iwthout FoF? Other mage casted 1 IL without FoF. Doesn't say if any of you munched thou.

BF-FFB there'isn't many to say either except other mage harcsted one FFB.

Other stuff.

You used ce barrier 1 time. If you use ice barrier 1 time in 9 minutes maybe it's better to go with flameglow. Same with other mage.

The other mage lost 2 uses of frozen orb doing as he or she did. 6 versus 8. My opinion is that FO should be casted on CD which I found timed well with the Flesh-Eater and delay PC to every second FO (also it to me seemed easier to use PC every 2 min since I felt boss moved less). I think PC is superior to IV in that fight. Other mage FO got 1,2 more hits on average per FO, did he or she time it better when there was multiple targets up or RNG? Other mage got much more multistrikes per orb since 1 more orb was stacked with IV.

You used healing tonic other mage used healthstone. ~20K difference in your favour.

You had 23 casts of IN other mage had 18. You 18 WJ other mage 17.

Other mage time his or her cooldowns better. But isn't cating more spells. It might be circuimstances. Different talent choice, better use of cooldowns other factor might be general gameplay, timing movement beter and positioning better. Or it's some RNG.
Xenost

Unread postby Xenost Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:28 pm

The other mage lost 2 uses of frozen orb doing as he or she did. 6 versus 8. My opinion is that FO should be casted on CD which I found timed well with the Flesh-Eater and delay PC to every second FO (also it to me seemed easier to use PC every 2 min since I felt boss moved less).
I read pretty much everywhere that most of the time FO should be synched with PC, except for some really specific cases (Blizzard resetting FO, imperator interval with anomalies).
I really think it's better on brack to bank FO, in the best case situation your FO without PC will hit 3 targets, I don't think it's worth using it when it happens instead of banking it for PC. (+ you might delay it too if you want to have 2+ targets everytime you use it, PC is a guaranteed 2nd target which increase all the damage from FoF you get so it's way more compliant than add from fight)

PC provides 1 more target for FO which means more procs and double damage from FO (crystal dupplicate every AOE damage, synergizing hard with all AoE spells), in a situation where you have only one target crystal double the damage of FO (a little more in fact 110% on crystal + 100% on the target) and double the procs beyond the initial one.

That means that your FO gets double effectiveness if there is only one target, it's like getting 2 FO out of one (less than that because of the initial guaranteed FoF but that doesn't matter that much).

Edit: This might change with T17 2P though, i think T17 2P promotes the use of FO on CD but might also promotes the use of IV.
Songette

Unread postby Songette Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:45 pm

I see now that my cooldowns are not very well timed. Will work on that, thanks :)

As of not delaying FO for PC, I find that confusing since most people say it's a DPS gain to delay it. Also, I looked at some logs from brackenspore kills and most mages were using TV, but now I'm unsure about that choice ):
Xenost

Unread postby Xenost Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:50 pm

You can potentially gain dps using PC on this fight BUT considering the size of brackenspore and the fact that the tank might move it during encounter I'd advise going for TV.

If you can't cleave off PC, TV is better.

As Azo noted before you should probably have delayed the last IV to sync it with FO but there was a moment where you kept FO during 1 min (between 4:00-5:00), maybe it was due to heavy movement on the boss but it shouldn't happen, 1 min is way too long furthermore if it's not to sync it with a CD; this is the reason why your last IV came up slightly after FO.

If you know a blue shroom is coming soon you might also want to delay some CD for it (MI in particular, FO to a further extent, int potion+IV if it really aligns perfectly)
Azo

Unread postby Azo Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:02 pm

I read pretty much everywhere that most of the time FO should be synched with PC, except for some really specific cases (Blizzard resetting FO, imperator interval with anomalies).
That is true but it is in single-target situation with minimal movement and assumes target stay within FO 100% of the time. That theory doesn't take enviorment into consideration. Brackenspore is moved a lot. How do you make sure Brackenspore stand in your FO and possibly PC for the full duration? Tidal waves and green mushrooms are the things which force movement of boss, blue mushroom is optional and can be placed on specific spot with good cordination. I mentioned I felt boss mvoed less when FO came of cooldown and that is due to green mushroom spawning every minute and boss is always placed on green mushroom.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/q2 ... &source=73" target="_blank

Considering green mushroom spawn every minute I tihnk it's better to use FO when boss is standing still. When I've done Brackenspore I've felt like it's hard to predict boss movement at 1½, 4½ and 7½ minute and that that PC often is "wasted". Might be some l2p-issue and other guilds may experience diferent movement patterns.
PC provides 1 more target for FO which means more procs and double damage from FO (crystal dupplicate every AOE damage, synergizing hard with all AoE spells), in a situation where you have only one target crystal double the damage of FO (a little more in fact 110% on crystal + 100% on the target) and double the procs beyond the initial one.
Elaborate the bolded please.

The difference between hiting 2 or 3 targets isn't as big as hiting 2 instead of 1. With only 1 target PC give you cleave if there already are two targets you already cleave. In this case you're already cleaving every time PC is off CD except at 4½ minutes. Also spore-shooters spawn at 1½ and 4½ so you're "forced" to delay that PC unless you ignore those spore-shooters. Spore-shooters spawn with an intervall of 1 minute aswell and can possibly time well with FO depending on how boss uses his abilities. Spore-shooters have higher prio then boss and flesh-eater so it might in some cases be beneficial to cast every second orb on them.

On Brackenspore I believe it's beneficial to use FO on CD due to positiong/movement-timing green mushroom force and that spore-shooters spawn when PC comes of CD and have higher prio then boss but don't live long enough to be worth using PC on.
Xenost

Unread postby Xenost Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Elaborate the bolded please.

The difference between hiting 2 or 3 targets isn't as big as hiting 2 instead of 1. With only 1 target PC give you cleave if there already are two targets you already cleave. In this case you're already cleaving every time PC is off CD except at 4½ minutes. Also spore-shooters spawn at 1½ and 4½ so you're "forced" to delay that PC unless you ignore those spore-shooters. Spore-shooters spawn with an intervall of 1 minute aswell and can possibly time well with FO depending on how boss uses his abilities. Spore-shooters have higher prio then boss and flesh-eater so it might in some cases be beneficial to cast every second orb on them.

On Brackenspore I believe it's beneficial to use FO on CD due to positiong/movement-timing green mushroom force and that spore-shooters spawn when PC comes of CD and have higher prio then boss but don't live long enough to be worth using PC on.

I fucked up my sentence, i meant with 1 target, but yeah you're right I didn't account for the movement on that part; by the way i really think that TV is better than PC for that fight.
Songette

Unread postby Songette Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Although my damage was lower, I did 6m~ on the flesh eater while he did about 4m~. I was concerned about that in our attempts because the add was getting to many stacks and killing the tank in the process. I personally prefer TV because I don't think I have enough player skill to use PC :P

Also we didn't have many blue shrooms, the healers focused solely on the green ones.
Azo

Unread postby Azo Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:21 pm

Although my damage was lower, I did 6m~ on the flesh eater while he did about 4m~. I was concerned about that in our attempts because the add was getting to many stacks and killing the tank in the process. I personally prefer TV because I don't think I have enough player skill to use PC :P

Also we didn't have many blue shrooms, the healers focused solely on the green ones.
Doing most DPS and killing boss isn't nescesarilly the same thing. What if you choose to sit in an ice block to block 1 or 2 spore-shooters during infested spores to greatly reduce raid-dmg taken. You'll most likely end up doing less DPS but are you playing worse?

Can do perfectly fine with TV. Personal preferences can differ.

Blue mushroom spawn where players stand just like mind fungus do. At ~4 minutes (second blue third(?) green) green mushroom spawn a few seconds before blue. If everyone (not likely) but all range and healers move to green when it spawns you'll have a decent chance that blue spawn on green. Might be easier to heal if both are very close to each other.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”