Mythic Gruul as Arcane

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Valounette

Mythic Gruul as Arcane

Unread postby Valounette Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:09 pm

After clearing 4/10 we just started Gruul and had maybe 90 minutes of pulls.

Our raid lead decided to go with an immune group tactic - a 3rd group with just hunters/mages who use immunity (Evanesce for mage!) in order to not get the debuff or take damage every X inferno slices.

My question is... is it worth it? I imagine I lose about ~4k dps by not having Ice Floes for the knockbacks/overhead smash/fireballs/cave-in

I was wondering if something else would work like... Use alter time to heal myself after first slice, let myself have 1 stack of debuff, greater invis the next slice and so on?

No idea what the concensus is for Mages on this fight on mythic difficulty, whether everyone uses an immunity group to soak some slices or not, and whether it's worth this big dps loss for Mage. Insight appreciated
Joorad

Re: Mythic Gruul as Arcane

Unread postby Joorad Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Everyone I know uses an immunity group. Mages and Hunters are the best at it. Hunters are obviously better though.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:35 pm

It is really annoying not having Ice Floes because we're so used to it, but to be honest there generally isn't that much movement on that fight - both of us mages in my group use Evanesce to immune every other one with Invis covering in between. You can get bad RNG and have to move for a bunch of his smashes, but on average the movement isn't too bad, and Evanesce is just really helpful on that fight.

I'm not sure that Alter Time would work, at least not without some help - at least a priests shields, maybe more. The times that I've been too slow or derped and hit the wrong immunity while it was still on CD the slice has killed me.

Maybe once its on farm and people are competing for ranks, then you can figure out some other options so that you can do max dps, but for progression I wouldn't recommend it. The enrage isn't that tight with most groups gear at this point, as long as everyone stays alive, so there's no real reason to do something different that puts more of a risk on you surviving.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
recom

Unread postby recom Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:40 pm

You can immune the slash with Glyph of Ice Block, you just need to pick Cold Snap to refresh IB before the second phase 1. That way you can keep Ice Floes.

This works if your group soaks 1 and only 1 cleave per phase.
Bashlow

Unread postby Bashlow Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:45 pm

I killed it yesterday after 3h and there are Spots which require almost 0 movement acc to the fire flares which shoot the floor. We 3 tanked it and just used fix immunities on the 3rd slice (also 3 soaker groups). With Not executing the fight 100% perfectly, but no dead damage Dealer before the enrage we killed it after 6:16 mins. Raid avg 685. So if you3 tank,which is easy mode, damage Performance might still be an issue
Valounette

Unread postby Valounette Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:43 pm

You can immune the slash with Glyph of Ice Block, you just need to pick Cold Snap to refresh IB before the second phase 1. That way you can keep Ice Floes.

This works if your group soaks 1 and only 1 cleave per phase.
I'll try this tonight since we're only soaking 1 cleave per phase. Thanks!
Valounette

Unread postby Valounette Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:46 pm

I killed it yesterday after 3h and there are Spots which require almost 0 movement acc to the fire flares which shoot the floor. We 3 tanked it and just used fix immunities on the 3rd slice (also 3 soaker groups). With Not executing the fight 100% perfectly, but no dead damage Dealer before the enrage we killed it after 6:16 mins. Raid avg 685. So if you3 tank,which is easy mode, damage Performance might still be an issue
I dunno... with each knockup you practically lose one and a half casts from waiting to fall back to the ground, not having ice floes. That and overhead smashes is meh
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Pretty sure Inferno Slash was stealth nerfed awhile back, is there still a need for those kind of tactics?
Bashlow

Unread postby Bashlow Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:37 pm

I dunno... with each knockup you practically lose one and a half casts from waiting to fall back to the ground, not having ice floes. That and overhead smashes is meh
I used icy floes, not evanesce :D
Valounette

Unread postby Valounette Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:44 am

Killed it now after about 3 hours total progression. Evanesce is by far not worth it.

Ice block+coldsnap with glyph was best; for both dispelling a Fireball debuff (if fucking up and being hit) and also to immune inferno slice if for some reason you're not topped up

... and if anyone reads this thread in the future, only ice block removed the fireball +20% fire damage taken debuff, not greater invis
gameorg

Unread postby gameorg Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:28 am

the immune tactic is not really nessesary. We did it, and even if some1 failed activating deterrance/evanesce, nobody died. When we realized that we just made 3 groups that took the slices 1 after another.

However, i still played evanesce in that fight. And in the end it saved the kill because i dodged a slice in enrage, and was 1 of the 3 last players standing on our kill. There is actually not that much movement in this fight. Fireballs can be rather ignored (if you dont have like 2 stacks already). However, i most likely will still go Ice Floes next time, since we wont reach the enrage i guess, with the upcoming item buff.

Btw gratz on killing hansgar first, we actually already have more wipes on them than we had on gruul.
Valounette

Unread postby Valounette Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:49 pm

the immune tactic is not really nessesary. We did it, and even if some1 failed activating deterrance/evanesce, nobody died. When we realized that we just made 3 groups that took the slices 1 after another.

However, i still played evanesce in that fight. And in the end it saved the kill because i dodged a slice in enrage, and was 1 of the 3 last players standing on our kill.
Fair enough but I'm sure the extra DPS from ice floes would have also made your fight a slightly faster and you would have killed it before relying on blocking that last slice :D

Personally my guild killed it on enrage too. I finished on about 46k, died at 2mil and dropped to 44k. Pretty sure we would have wiped if I was using Evanesce x_x.

And yeah, after killing both, I find Hanz Franz harder. Not sure why we did them first ^^
Bashlow

Unread postby Bashlow Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:47 pm

I think so too, that hans and frans are easier, but you get access to freeloot kagraz who drops token and some Nice weapons :P
Sorry for Offtopic
Mageski

Unread postby Mageski Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Pretty sure Inferno Slash was stealth nerfed awhile back, is there still a need for those kind of tactics?
It's not. We use a rotation of 1-1-1 for our 3 groups now with 2 tanks and we are surviving fine.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”