Sat from Mythic. Low DPS (Fire)

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Scrittles

Sat from Mythic. Low DPS (Fire)

Unread postby Scrittles Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:53 am

Greetings denizens of altered time. I am a long time lurker of these forums from the day I found a link on MMO champ. I come to you now hat in hand begging for help. My situation is simple, I was sat from our mythic progression team because my damage is much lower than the other mage in our raid. One of our officers is a big sim guy and says I sim only 5k below this other mage and I am NOT meeting that benchmark. We are 8/10 mythic in BRF and I would say I have a strong understanding of the class and have for a long time. Just this tier I am struggling horribly to stay competitive. Please if anyone has the time I would appreciate any help I can get to improve my damage and get me off the bench.

My typical rotation outside of opener is
fireball till heating up
inferno blast if its up
fireball till pyro and heating up
fireball and instantly pyro to refresh heating up and pyro
maintain this cycle as long as possible

One thing I have noticed on my own is it seems the other mage in my raid uses inferno blast way more often than I do. Can that cause such large damage disparities? Our disparities are:

Gruul: 9k

Kromog: 9k

Hans and Franz: 13k

Operator: 16k

Iron Maidens: 8k

Flamebender: 23k

My armory

Most recent logs

Link to guild log page
Shinobars

Re: Sat from Mythic. Low DPS (Fire)

Unread postby Shinobars Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:02 am

From my quick glance through your logs, you seem to have very low Combustion values. I'd recommend reading one of the many fire guides and threads for how best to improve your Combustions.
Azo

Unread postby Azo Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:42 am

One thing I have noticed on my own is it seems the other mage in my raid uses inferno blast way more often than I do. Can that cause such large damage disparities?
You shouldn't cap on inferno blast charges unless you're saving charges for a doubble-spread combustion. How big difference the usage is I've no idea about. But inferno blast is guaranteed crit, instant and hit for 108% SP and fireball 138% if I remember right. It do decent damage and result in more pyroblasts. It's 8 ilvl difference it's noticeble. On armory other mage show 10% more spellpower.

Operator Thogar. Other mage ignore gunnery seargants. On thrid men-at-arms other mage combust and spread to all the ads while you don't. He also use his second potion there while you don't use any at all. It's at the third men-at-arms I think you loose the most damage. You should pot and combust there. Other mage completely ignore all obliterate canons so he got higher uptime on boss, ignore second I would be fine with cause it's more important to get damage on men-at-arms as fire mage with combust and spreading but the other two especially first there's no reason to ignore really in my opinion.

Iron Maidens. Haven't done this boss myself as fire so have nothing to say.

H&F. Other mage cast a lot more spells then you do, 170 vs 139. You get a lot less pyroblst! procs. Not sure if you're really unlucky or if you should dump more aggressivly when inferno blast is off CD, don't know. You actually cast roughly same ammount of inferno blasts. Other mage get last combustion off with doubble spread IB I think.

Flamebender. Other mage combustion when cinder dogs is up and cast five when you cast three. You swap target for some reason. You cast 20 living bomb with 106 hits other mage 11 cast with 143 hits. Other mage had combust up for cinder wolves, didn't do unnescessarry target-swap and other mage living bomb actually exploded when wolves was up.

Kromog. No idea how to play fire there.

Gruul. Other mage is playing prismatic crystal and you're playing kindling. PC is just plain better. You stand outside your rune of power first ~28 sceonds. Rune of power might be bugged, buff never shows on other mage.
Scrittles

Unread postby Scrittles Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:49 am

Thank you so much for the replies so far guys! I sat down with our other mage as well and my combustion damage is definitely low and I think we figured out a way to get that up with a bit of better proc management.

Azo I greatly appreciate the large amount of time you invested in helping me out! One of the comments that the other mage told me is our guild does lots of our fights incorrectly for mages :p

Operator thogar: I did die on this fight towards the end and I blatantly missed my potion. I do spent a lot of damage on the cannons because that was our raid strat :s I guess I will be sitting on the boss from now on and see if I can maintain great cleave.

H&F: You are right I do think I need to dump more aggressively. I specifically remember during that fight having a combust not spread too since I had a boss jump away on my right when I used it :S

Gruul: That was the most derp gruul kill of the year for me. The logs were not wrong. I was trying to defend myself typing against getting called out for low damage and I straight missed RoP at the beginning and didn't have a chance switch to PC. You are 100% right though about PC.

If anyone has anymore feedback I will greatly accept any and all. My farm raid is this upcoming Tuesday so even if nobody posts anymore replies I will update with a progress report to see how much I was able to Correct. Once again thanks for helping me out so far Azo and Shinobars!
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:30 am

Have you had a thorough read through Dutch' Fire guide? It should explain the principles of the spec rather well.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”