(Fire) Some hardcore Min-maxing

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Zant

(Fire) Some hardcore Min-maxing

Unread postby Zant Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:49 am

Tonight after my raid, I opened up my garrison cache and received a highly perplexing item; Leggings of the Molten Torrent. Additionally, during the raid, I received a Caged Living Ooze. The reason it's caused me such turmoil is because from a min-maxing standpoint (because of the Warforged/Socket procs), I find myself now able to gear differently for Arcane, Fire Cleave and Fire Single-target. Below is my armory link, but that's all subject to change, so I'll try and elaborate a bit further.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... t/advanced" target="_blank

For a Single-target Fire setup, I use the following interchangeable items to gain the highest yield while still staying above the 900 Haste breakpoint (without a single Haste gem, I fall to 883 Haste):

Fang of the Earth, Mark of the Thunderlord
Caged Living Ooze, Greater Haste Taladite
Leggings of the Molten Torrent, Greater Critical Strike Taladite
Inferno Breath Sandals

For Cleave Fire, I use the following in the same slots:

Inferno Flame Staff, Mark of the Bleeding Hollow
Turret Mechanic's Legwraps
Cavedweller's Climbers

So, assuming Arcane isn't part of the equation and the rest of my gear remains static, my question here is whether the above choices are ideal for each build, and whether I should perhaps use a certain warforged or socketed item over a standard piece despite the clashing base stats. I know this is a really small overall gain we're talking about either way, and it's also a highly specific query, but the math interests me, and I'd love another's take on it. I guess this is what Blizzard had in mind when they said "more rewarding loot".
Frosted

Re: (Fire) Some hardcore Min-maxing

Unread postby Frosted Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:29 am

900 haste isn't a breakpoint. The breakpoint is like 637 or something in that range, I forget the exact number. Low 600s.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Yeah, Frosted is right, its something around there. The 800-900 number that you've heard of is just to give a little leeway in dealing with latency or player reaction time. I definitely wouldn't gem haste.

I think the question is - why do you want a fire single-target gearset? You’ve got everything on farm at this point, so what’s the goal during your farm runs? If you still want to min/max each fight, you’ll swap from Arcane to Fire. If you want to use Fire on single-target to try to rank well, then you want the same Mastery build that you use for Arcane or cleave. Crit is fire’s best single-target stat, but the people who are going for high ranks single-target are hoping for great RNG on the opener and a fast kill time to put up great numbers. That would be done with Mastery – you’ll have more variance, but when it all comes together you put out big numbers. And when it doesn’t you just try again next week.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Zant

Unread postby Zant Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:25 pm

The overall mindset is one of being very bored of the same Arcane single target snoozefests week in and week out :\ And now that you mention it, I recall the haste point being lower. Essentially, what I was wondering was since I had the option to swap out certain pieces here, could I get better output going one way or another for each type of fight, theoretically.

I guess what I take from this though is rather than going through all of this hassle, I should just continue stacking Mastery and hope for the god pull.
Zelendria

Unread postby Zelendria Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Ideally you would get the next http://www.wowhead.com/item=113920&bonus=567" target="_blank to go with the Ooze.
I luckily picked up a WF dagger last week with the same socket Ooze
yungg

Unread postby yungg Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:45 pm

not 100% on this, but i'm pretty sure turret mechanic's leggings and cavedweller's climbers shit on molten torrent and inferno breath for st, even w/ wf or socket. mastery is a really strong st stat for fire, iirc around 2x the weight of versatility, and 1.2x the weight of multi.
Killget

Unread postby Killget Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:11 pm

not 100% on this, but i'm pretty sure turret mechanic's leggings and cavedweller's climbers shit on molten torrent and inferno breath for st, even w/ wf or socket. mastery is a really strong st stat for fire, iirc around 2x the weight of versatility, and 1.2x the weight of multi.
From the 'Fire Talent Comparisons, Stat Weights, Racials, Trinkets' thread
http://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=750" target="_blank
Single Target
SingleTarget Stat Weights

But I do believe that, as Wilderness Says, If you are going for the big Combusts and top parses, Mastery is main stat

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”