Mythic trial mage struggling badly, fear for trial

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
kromula

Mythic trial mage struggling badly, fear for trial

Unread postby kromula Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi guys,

I joined a Mythic guild last week, where as of Killrogg dieing last night has the guild 5/13 Mythic. I applied to the guild as my friend moved there, and to my surprise I was accepted.
I want to move into mythic raiding, as historically I would have raided at the highest difficulty, but various contraints in WoD did not make that possible until now.

I am trialing on my Mage, which I started playing at the end of BRF. Before that I was a Warlock since WOTLK.
Last night while I was present for the Killrogg kill, my DPS was really bad and I was benched for Gorefiend start of progress. I feel like I'm tunneling a little on mechanics to avoid dieing and causing wipes, but that is being detremental to my DPS. I'm totally new to Mythic, so I know I'll get better as my experience of the fights grow, but as always with a trial time is not on my side.

Attached are logs both from last nights Killrogg, along with other mythic kills. Would appreciate some feedback or critique.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/NTCGAxDVyXn2Lv4B" target="_blank[1]
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/QgGjdYk7BCvHpLMm" target="_blank[2]
kromula

Re: Mythic trial mage struggling badly, fear for trial

Unread postby kromula Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Some initial feelings from myself is that I'm not using Frost enough. I see Fiscal in my new guild, and he utilises Frost spec a lot more.

I'm Kromula btw in the attached logs
Zelendria

Re: Mythic trial mage struggling badly, fear for trial

Unread postby Zelendria Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Assault:

You had 310 missiles, but only cast 273 which means you munched/clipped a lot. You could add a [nochanneling] macro function to eliminate this issue (clipping). Then once you're more experienced remove it again.
You've got a monster 90s burn in there.
Between burn 3 and 4 there's a gap almost big enough to fit another burn in the middle of it. Tighten up your CD use.
You inadvertently burn after your last burn putting you at lower mana levels all the way until the finish.

Reaver:

You're using RoP which is not so easy to use as is evident by 15 casts and 81% uptime. You would've done much better here taking IF and using that time spent casting AB instead.
You've only got 3 Evo's to 4 burns. You second burn has you regen mana naturally. That's cost you more DPS

Council:

Strong case for Frost here. The whole time spent taking down Bloodboil has a lot of cleave done to Jub.
Biggest issue here is 90% activity which means you're spending considerable time casting nothing which is the biggest DPS loss you can do. Perhaps a little lost in the movement/illusions/ghosts etc.
If I was Arcane I'd perhaps take AO instead of PC. Just popping it at the two stacked is 3xAC. If Dia is kept with the ranged stack point that's the full 4x AC and missile procs every whatever the CD is I forget.
It'll also help a lot on the illusions for missile and AC generation.
I've never bothered with Arcane though so I could be wrong on that.

Kilrogg:

Your activity is really bad here at 80%. That's 20% of the fight doing nothing, and you only died right towards the end.
Taking Evanesce cost you dearly here. I assume you were either told to take it or took it yourself to remove the debuff from Heartseeker. Don't take it you already have GI and IB that can remove teh debuff. Anything more than that is terrible RNG.
Death Throes will crush DPS without IF, and if you're forced to take Evanesce go Frost so you have at least some procs for backup.
Mana usage looks better on the burns, but as with your activity there are lots of flat tops meaning capped mana.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”