[6.2] Optimizing FBomb + PoF Trinket + T18 4pc

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Eyescar

[6.2] Optimizing FBomb + PoF Trinket + T18 4pc

Unread postby Eyescar Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:48 am

Mod edit: Moved to Q&A
First of all, hi, thank you for the information about mages on guides. Been starting this class a month ago.

Now for the questions:
1) Worth it using this combination on HFC?

2) If yes, is there an optimized rotation when water jetting?

OBS: The other trinket I thought it's best to go along is Gaze

Thank you and sorry if I done something wrong about posting. First one.
Zyrachiel

Re: [6.2] Optimizing FBomb + PoF Trinket + T18 4pc

Unread postby Zyrachiel Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Mode edit: Moved to Q&A
1) Worth it using this combination on HFC?
2) If yes, is there an optimized rotation when water jetting?
OBS: The other trinket I thought it's best to go along is Gaze
Short answer: no

Long answer: Assuming the other trinket you'd take would be Tome, since it's BiS by quite a significant margin, Frost Bomb becomes very complicated to use and conflicts with our other mechanics. Shatterweaving is simply incompatible with Frost Bomb due to the slow ice lance usage in your rotation. Unstable magic is passive, scales well with haste and multistrike, and allows you to focus on shatterweaving, which is why it's the go-to talent for most frost mages this tier, save for bosses where the burst provided by Ice Nova is more beneficial.
The only boss where I've seen frost mages drop tome in favor of PoF+Gaze is Hellfire Assault, but that is purely for ranking and not progress.

Alternative: if you were to forget frost bomb altogether, there is a viable combo for PoF+Comet Storm, which introduces more risk/reward into frost dps. You simply try to line up Comet Storm with every Mark of Doom.

Supporting evidence: https://altered-time.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=749

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”