Tips for archi

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Pkm

Tips for archi

Unread postby Pkm Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:09 am

Hey

We just got mythic manno down and moving on to archi. I was wondering what are some mage specific tips for use on mythic archimonde? We are going to attempt the 1 doomfire strat as our class line up is pretty good with burst. But beyond that what else should I be doing?
Fnoptik

Re: Tips for archi

Unread postby Fnoptik Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 am

If you feel that your healers have problem on certain stage (adds with chaos, infernal drops) use evanesce to help them, its cd line up with each chaos, each infernal drop. Use alter time before you soak marks of the legion from other for health return.
You can solo marks of the legion on you with evanesce (or other mitigation ability you have) and alter time (for position return), also for position return you can use blink, but it must be pressed early after mark knockback.
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:14 pm

So do people not usually take ice floes on this fight?
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:11 pm

Most people use Ice Floes. Using Evanesce to possibly solo marks of the legion wouldn't be recommended by most people and you'd be losing a lot of dps for little reason.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
yungg

Unread postby yungg Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:14 pm

Don't use greater invis for chains, aggro drops like G invis auto-break chains which is basically a guaranteed wipe unless everyone has moved out of your chain.

If you're going for one doomfire, ignore the first deathcaller until the boss is phased.
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:56 am

Don't use greater invis for chains, aggro drops like G invis auto-break chains which is basically a guaranteed wipe unless everyone has moved out of your chain.
AHHH yes this kept killing me was wondering why. So do i want to use any defensive when breaking chains or just walk/blink out of them?
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:04 am

Just walk/blink out of them. Without GI we don't have any real defensives so if I get chains during the 2nd wrought I'll usually just iceblock and sit through it until its time to break.
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:16 am

What about the twisting nether phase, i use alter time for mark soaking, ginvis/iceblock used for anything else?
DyLemma

Unread postby DyLemma Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:08 am

I use alter time on every mark of the legion so when I get knocked back I get put right back to start casting again with full health.
Fnoptik

Unread postby Fnoptik Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:00 pm

Most people use Ice Floes. Using Evanesce to possibly solo marks of the legion wouldn't be recommended by most people and you'd be losing a lot of dps for little reason.
Evanesce is full imunity with 45cd, it can be used on progresion run to mitigate lot of damage in that encounter, not only marks.
On farm run of course obvious choice - Icy Floes, but he is not doing farm runs for now.

And Icy Floes its not lot of dps, if you can plan you movement without it.
Sometimes you can stand still with evanesce, for example if infernal drop right at your position, or if you solo mark of legion, or you can stand still when someone else break chain, or you can stand still when there is tight chaos pattern with dogs adds casting at your position.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Icy Floes its not lot of dps, if you can plan you movement without it.
What spec are you talking about?
Fnoptik

Unread postby Fnoptik Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Arcane of course. I dont tell that icy floes is not dps gain, it is dps gain, but its not BIG, even on movement heavy encounter like Archimonde mythic.
Last edited by Fnoptik on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Sorry i should have mentioned im talking about arcane.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Arcane of course. I dont tell that icy floes is not dps gain, it is dps gain, but its not BIG, even on movement heavy encounter like Archimonde mythic.
I guess so, after progression is nearing over Arcane can be pre-planned well. Arcane is "consistent in being inconsistent" while you don't know a fight well yet. But once muscle-memory kicks in well and the guild strategy remains identical, it gains momentum.

It might be in a grey area during early progression though since one might be pushing for certain breakpoints.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:30 pm

Evanesce is full imunity with 45cd, it can be used on progresion run to mitigate lot of damage in that encounter, not only marks.
On farm run of course obvious choice - Icy Floes, but he is not doing farm runs for now.

And Icy Floes its not lot of dps, if you can plan you movement without it.
Sometimes you can stand still with evanesce, for example if infernal drop right at your position, or if you solo mark of legion, or you can stand still when someone else break chain, or you can stand still when there is tight chaos pattern with dogs adds casting at your position.
I know what it is, and its not very useful on that fight. Standing still while someone breaks chains? Why is that necessary - the rest of your raid is moving to the next position, so what does standing off 50 yards away from everyone else get you? You're going to have to move to that position anyway so you're in healing range and in position for the next wrought anyway.

There's little benefit to standing still directly under an infernal spawning when you can simply move out of it and not take that direct damage. The healing requirements from them hitting the rest of the raid mean you're going to be using CDs and group heals as much as possible so you personally taking less damage isn't going to make or break the fight.

You have to get chosen for mark of the legion, which is random. And you can solo it with Iceblock as well, so you'd have to get picked for it at least twice, which isn't exactly great odds. You could even take cold snap for another iceblock if you really were concerned about it, though GI is really more useful overall.

The one time that myself and our other mage would always die during progression was getting picked for the 2nd chains since you have wrought/dogs/allure all happening in a quick timeframe. We can't use GI b/c chains so sitting in Iceblock was the only way we lived through that consistently. Having 3s immunity instead wouldn't have helped there, its too short.

You can't "plan" your movement in the last phase. There's a very constant need to change positions and a lot of it is random to dodge infernals, dodge seething, etc. And you can't use Evanesce for both infernals and mark, they aren't far enough apart. Not using Ice Floes is missing out on a good chunk of dps, not an insignificant amount especially in the last phase. Evanesce is not at all the best choice during progression. You gain very little and lose a lot of dps.
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:29 am

since you have wrought/dogs/allure all happening in a quick timeframe.
This happened to me too. We are 3 healing so... Should I not take the risk and just block if this happens? Although I could try alter time, and not waste any dps but by this time we are heading into P3 and gotta save alter time for marks.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:00 pm

This happened to me too. We are 3 healing so... Should I not take the risk and just block if this happens? Although I could try alter time, and not waste any dps but by this time we are heading into P3 and gotta save alter time for marks.
That's what I do - even now on farm. If there's no dogs around me at all I'll sometimes take the first wrought blast but then iceblock the next 2. On progress I'd just block the whole time. Its just not worth the risk of dying then and without GI we just don't have anything that useful. You can try alter time but in my experience when you die its because of everything hitting at once - wrought, a dog or two, the ticking of the chains, so you're unlikely to have time to dip low, hit AT to go back to full health. Plus that only works for that instance, and it can happen more than once if you get unlucky with dogs.
yungg

Unread postby yungg Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:17 pm

I agree with wilderness, evanesce isn't that helpful on this fight and it can be downright detrimental if you get chains during wrought (where ice block is better suited). Evanesce can help you avoid damage from mark/infernals but alter time already negates any healing you'd have to do for mark, and if you REALLY need to mitigate mark, you have g invis.

Healing required in p3 is minimal anyway, pretty much only the waves of four infernals need any kind of raid wide CD, and taking a talent that reduces your DPS is silly when dps in p3 is worth so much more than any potential healing saved.
Fnoptik

Unread postby Fnoptik Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:04 am

Tryed Ice Floes yesterday and change my opinion, its optimal, even for progression pulls if your healers dont have problem with healing after infernal drop.
As someone mention above, on progression, if you catch chains on chaos+adds stage, it much safer to just sit in Ice Block whole chaos
Pkm

Unread postby Pkm Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:43 am

We are getting into P3 now, and I'm not quite sure what to do with PC. I think it's around the 3rd wave of infernals is when the cross over happens with the mechanics and void stars, the raid leader calls for all CDs and ring but yeah everything that spawns dies within seconds.

Is it ok for mages to ignore the adds during this phase and focus boss?

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”