5/13M mage need some help on FIRE.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
InOrbit

5/13M mage need some help on FIRE.

Unread postby InOrbit Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:42 am

Hello I'm Inorbit, 734 mage mainly playing arcane but with upcoming progression, I'd like to be better at fire. My combustions are only doing 10k-30k, while I see others getting 80k+. Is this because of my rotation on the crystal?

I played fire on Sorcethar, Tyrant, Xhul'horac, Archimonde and Hellfire high council. If you want to look at my arcane logs and maybe see some faults in there, your help would be appreciated.

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... bit/simple" target="_blank (Crit enchants from playing fire)

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wG ... ne&boss=-3" target="_blank
Shalltear

Re: 5/13M mage need some help on FIRE.

Unread postby Shalltear Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:32 am

I haven't played fire in a while but one thing that never changes is the amount of Crit you need to get the most out of Fire as a whole, specially when it comes to building up your combustions.
I'm only in heroic gear myself, but due to some lucky runs I've done I've got all the BiS fire gear I can besides 1 trinket and the cloak and even I'm getting higher combustions than 10-30k.
Think mine's are in the range of roughly 35-45k.

Looking at your gear you need to get your hands on wrist, feet and belt, even heroic versions should do wonders for your crit and the cloak 'COULD' be changed, but the one you have from Zakuun is already good enough.
But there's also this option from Assault: http://www.wowhead.com/item=124136/spar ... &bonus=566" target="_blank
The ones you have aren't good for fire in any way shape or form
Wrist - Tyrant Velhari : http://www.wowhead.com/item=124186/cont ... &bonus=566" target="_blank
Feet - Fel Lord Zakuun : http://www.wowhead.com/item=124149/bloo ... &bonus=566" target="_blank
Waist two options, last being the 'best' one arguably, not bad for arcane either though the belt from Zakuun is BiS for Arcane.
Trash belt(can buy this of AH too): http://www.wowhead.com/item=124182/cord ... &bonus=567" target="_blank
Archimonde: http://www.wowhead.com/item=124200/demo ... &bonus=566" target="_blank

Beyond all of this, if you want to focus on fire, you need to optimize for it and it'll be time consuming to do so as you'll want to switch between fire and arcane depending on the figths, so having 2 gear sets is key so you don't have to switch enchants as much.

At this time of hour I couldn't dissect your logs much, just had a quick peak there and you seem to be doing avg on the kills I saw. Perhaps you should head over to the arcane mage forum and read some there.
This Arcane mage guide for raiding by Dutchmagoz! [6.2 updated] has a lot of usefull information for the experienced and even the newer mages.

Hope any of what I said was to some form of help, if not.
It was my two cents on the matter.

kind regards,
Shalltear
Irugard

Unread postby Irugard Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:26 pm

Plain and simple: you don't have enough crit. Or mastery for that matter.

Essentially you need to have a pyro and heating up proc ready and when sandman's procs, you blow crystal and just pump pyros into it (with sandman's critting should be likely even at your crit levels). Make sure to use dragons breath also. Once you pump as many pyros into it as possible, hit combust and inferno blast.

Changes are you are already doing something similar but if you don't do it with sandman's proc, you barely get any pyro's onto the crystal. With sandman's you can literally turret out pyros.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:08 pm

but with upcoming progression, I'd like to be better at fire
Why?

Fire really needs pretty good gear to do well, and you don't have that yet. Arcane is going to be your better choice for progression on just about any fight you have left. Xhul would probably have the best argument for being Fire over Arcane, especially now that ilvls have made the final burn phase less important, but Arcane has a few strengths on that fight too. And with everything happening during Xhul, playing a spec with more mobility that you're more comfortable with to best focus on mechanics is a big plus as well.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
InOrbit

Unread postby InOrbit Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:36 pm

Plain and simple: you don't have enough crit. Or mastery for that matter.

Essentially you need to have a pyro and heating up proc ready and when sandman's procs, you blow crystal and just pump pyros into it (with sandman's critting should be likely even at your crit levels). Make sure to use dragons breath also. Once you pump as many pyros into it as possible, hit combust and inferno blast.

Changes are you are already doing something similar but if you don't do it with sandman's proc, you barely get any pyro's onto the crystal. With sandman's you can literally turret out pyros.
Is 45% crit self buffed not enough? what should I be aiming for then?
Shalltear

Unread postby Shalltear Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:34 pm

For every level a mob is above you, you have 1% lesser chance to crit that specific mob.
Since raidbosses are always 3levels above you, you're sitting at 42%crit during the encounters.
You should want to have at least a minimum of 48-50%
50% is a good round number, specially when Sandman's Puch proccs you'll be as Irugard said a pyro turret.
The items I mentioned are a few you need to look into getting, there's a few more you could get to min max your crit potential without losing the 4set and so on, so wowhead items that include crit, because even the heroic versions of the items will boost your dps, regardless of it having a lower ilvl than your current item.

Tertiary stats are always better once you reach a specific ilvl "break point", there's no actual break point when it comes to ilvl's so don's missunderstand now, but you should understand what I'm trying to convey here.
InOrbit

Unread postby InOrbit Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:33 am

Alright I'll try getting those items on next reset. Thanks for all the helpful comment, I really appreciate it :)
Astaine

Unread postby Astaine Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Just doing my bit here, if your crit is 45% buffed, thats fine, you dont rly need more crit, with a sandman proc you should be near crit cap anyway so it does not matter for combustion.
For your combustions to do dmg you need a good crystal rotation and good trinkets and mastery. I have about 55% mastery buffed and i can pull off about 110k combustion ticks.

The trinket to aim for is DSI, its an extra 500 mastery as well as 2k int proc sethe is so meh for fire. From the look of things your first crystal rotation on council is correct but it should be doing more dmg so something is going wrong there.

fire is all about maximizing combustion, personally i run with a mastery weapon proc to get that little bit if extra ignite dmg on pull
It looks to me like its all about the mastery, ignite is doing to little dmg which says alot about the state of your mastery.

Wish you luck if you have any more questions i would be happy to help.

Astaine
Astaine <squishy> - Kazzak EU
Logs
Armoury

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”