Gear questions - (Arcane)

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
hartonfamily

Gear questions - (Arcane)

Unread postby hartonfamily Mon May 16, 2016 8:38 pm

Mod Edit: Moved to Q&A
Hi all! I have a few questions about gearing if anyone has a spare sec -

In general, I don't play my mage that seriously, as any casual observer of parses would attest. My warrior is my main. As such, I guess I don't seek out as much outside information on it, beside the guide here on this site as well as the normal mage forums. As such, usually when it comes to gear I tend to use AMR to let me know what my upgrade path is for my various equipment slots. I know that using SimC against more specific pieces of gear gives a better answer, but usually, I figure I will eventually get my BiS stuff anyways, and if not, if I'm doing a little bit less dps because I am using a 735 piece over a better 730 piece in general, it doesn't bother me that much.

Well, i never payed attention that closely until we started on Fel Lord. So I'm looking at the AMR gear list and am like, oh, great, it drops my BiS feet. Cool. The stats on it seem pretty meh, it's CS and VERS for the Bloody-Dagger healed pumps, which aren't exactly my best stats, but hey, I figure other people know more then I do, so whatever. Alright, but then the boots just below it on the list, the BoE ones, are only 5 item levels below, and have according to this site the best stats. Haste / Mastery (Desecrated Soulrender Slippers) So my spidy sense would tell me that seems fishy. Shouldn't the slightly more int on the pumps be offset by the better stats on the slippers? I would think it would be better by a couple touchdowns.

All this to say is, am I looking at things poorly? Or is AMR not really right in this case? Before posting I tried to look up more gear specific posts, and the only thing I can find people talking about is how much haste do you need.(Of which I know I am severely lacking in) I just kinda figured that as I get better gear the haste thing would kind of work itself out. I couldn't find anything outside of AMR and Icyveins (which honestly, icyveins BiS list looks more like a straight listing of gear w/ the highest item levels at the bottom) on exactly what exact pieces we are looking for.

Thanks in advance!
Wilderness

Re: Gear questions -

Unread postby Wilderness Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 pm

ilvls make more of a difference than people think - Int is really good. Plus, for Arcane there really isn't much of a difference in the secondary weights for most stats.

So basically those 2 boots are equal. One may flip ahead or behind the other based on individual stat weights and your current gear, but the differences are incredibly minor at best. If you get one before the other just hang onto that until you find one that's wf/gem or from a higher tier of raiding.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”