Trinket choice for fire mage

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Marsellus

Trinket choice for fire mage

Unread postby Marsellus Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:36 am

Hey all,

I got couple of new trinkets and I can't make my mind on which ones to use. Sims don't seem conclusive, especially in AOE scenarios. I got the following:

Unstable arcanocrystal 860
Wriggling Sinew 865
Naraxas' Spiked Tongue 865 + socket
Aran's Relaxing Ruby 860
Devilsaur Shock Baton 835
Eye of Skovald 880
Bough of Corruption 870

I really can't decide which combo is best for Mythic+, which for raid ST, and which for Raid aoe. So far I'm running Sinew + Aran's in all cases but I really feel this is not optimal. As I said, simcraft doesn't seem to be very reliable to me, as it values Haste much more than Mastery and Vers, and I'm already itting on 3300 of it. Any tip is welcome.
Emazing17

Re: Trinket choice for fire mage

Unread postby Emazing17 Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:01 am

Probably bough + arans m+

Bough+sinew raid aoe
Bough or crystal + sinew raid ST
Marsellus

Unread postby Marsellus Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:44 am

Appreciate your inputs. I forgot to write that I also have Corrupted Starlight 860. Does it affect the choices you suggested?
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:06 am

If sims are inconclusive how can someone easily conclude? You need to analyse your results. e.g. is it an AOE fight, is it a mixed AOE, are some trinkets impractical?

e.g. I have a Twisting Wing trinket and that thing seems to hit nothing sometimes.

Also why do you think the secondary scalings have anything to do with it?
Marsellus

Unread postby Marsellus Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:11 am

Because it is an inditcation that there might be something wrong with simulations. So far I knew that Haste was the least valuable past the 1800 cap, so I'm surprised / concerned to see that Simcraft values it the best past Crit and Int.
Also, Arcanocrystal is a pure stats stick so knowing the stats weights is crucial to assess the value of the trinket.

Furthermore, I knew that Simcraft may not be modeling / using all trinkets correctly. If that's not case, I will just trust the sims results, but I was looking for some back up from you expert guys.
Curnivore

Unread postby Curnivore Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:30 am

Because it is an inditcation that there might be something wrong with simulations. So far I knew that Haste was the least valuable past the 1800 cap, so I'm surprised / concerned to see that Simcraft values it the best past Crit and Int.
The problem here is that you place too much value on preconceptions about secondaries. There is nothing saying haste is bad on fire. The same people that coded simcraft were the first to produce that crit was good or that haste was good at 1800 and the same people produced a simcraft that gave you those new results.
Marsellus

Unread postby Marsellus Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:51 am

got it, thanks :)

By the way, for possibly interested people, sims done with the new Simcraft release kinda confirms the suggestions above, placing Sinew + Bough best for Patchwerk style.
Marsellus

Unread postby Marsellus Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:04 pm

One more edit: I also don't trust sims completely because I have Koralon and Simcraft makes me cast Scorch in execute phase, which is considered a dps loss by general consensus (see Lexi guide for example).

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”