871 Frost Mage Trying To Maintain 400K DPS

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
nataleafrost

871 Frost Mage Trying To Maintain 400K DPS

Unread postby nataleafrost Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:10 am

So my guild has been doing Nighthold since it started, but I haven't been able to participate with the main group anymore due to my dps. I've worked it out to where I can get 550K dps off the bat with my starting rotation, but after that it seems to slowly decline to, and stay at around 300K dps. At this point I'm not sure what, or where I am going wrong with this.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... nya/simple" target="_blank

Also while the armory shows 910 on my legendary it's actually a 940. I haven't raided, or really played through a expansion since Burning Crusade so I know there's a lot of changes compared to how frost mages were back then. I'm just not sure what I'm missing. Any help is appreciated!
thingy

Re: 871 Frost Mage Trying To Maintain 400K DPS

Unread postby thingy Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm not sure if the talents you logged out in are what you use, but I would swap out of Comet Storm and into Thermal Void - especially because you have the legendary gloves. Lonely Winter is typically less dps than Bone Chilling unless you're really bad at using water jet near cooldown and getting procs from it correctly. Splitting Ice is good for any fight where there's some cleave and if not I would take Frozen Touch. Unstable Magic is only good on pure single target so I would swap to Arctic Gale and use Blizzard on 2+ targets for the cooldown reduction on frozen orb.

Read this guide for possibly more help: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/view ... f=5&t=3548" target="_blank
Krenth

Unread postby Krenth Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:56 pm

Even if you are playing Frost perfectly, 400k sustained DPS isn't reasonable to expect at your ilvl for pure single target.
nataleafrost

Unread postby nataleafrost Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:36 am

Thanks you two. I will rearrange the talents to what was suggested, and yea I've tried to tell my guild that Frost can't reach the dps like Fire, and Arcane but they said I was wrong. If someone manages to post the logs on our next run I'll put those up at as well.
Krenth

Unread postby Krenth Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Sorry my response may have been misleading. It is definitely possible to reach 400k DPS single target with frost, but you need to be close to 880 to achieve it. You should be able to get close to or break 300k pure single target at your ilvl. If cleave or AoE is involved you should be able to hit 400k.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”