What is wrong with my fire mage?

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
uritchmage

What is wrong with my fire mage?

Unread postby uritchmage Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:39 am

Mod Edit: Moved to Q&A
I do not know what else to do. I do not have good legend, but I have reasonable items but my dps in my guild is the worst of all 25 members, I believe I may be wrong in the rotation but I do not know what to do to improve. My armory is http://us.battle.net/wow/pt/character/a ... tch/simple" target="_blank and https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 08/latest/" target="_blank for logs. Note: In AOE fighting I use arans chestpaired (860 ilvl) with Brinewater Slime in a Bottle (865) and single target i use arcanocrystal (875 ilvl) with but i have erradic metronome (870 ilvl) and star gate (890 ilvl) all have been tested on simcraft
Lahrast

Re: What is wrong with my fire mage?

Unread postby Lahrast Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 am

I do not know what else to do. I do not have good legend, but I have reasonable items but my dps in my guild is the worst of all 25 members, I believe I may be wrong in the rotation but I do not know what to do to improve. My armory is http://us.battle.net/wow/pt/character/a ... tch/simple" target="_blank and https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 08/latest/" target="_blank for logs. Note: In AOE fighting I use arans chestpaired (860 ilvl) with Brinewater Slime in a Bottle (865) and single target i use arcanocrystal (875 ilvl) with but i have erradic metronome (870 ilvl) and star gate (890 ilvl) all have been tested on simcraft
jesus fuck, sephus and norgannons. :D
aran's is total garbage(0.9rppm now down from 3), stick to arcano and metronome or bottle, whatever sims higher - skill LB or patch for ae fights, better and more scalable dps

otherwise.. yeah keep trying you got the loosing ticket on legendaries, sucks to be in that place :/
pottoman

Unread postby pottoman Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:45 am

From a quick glance at the logs you linked, I found out a few of things that seemed amiss.

First of all, you're often waiting for your fireballs to land before you start casting another spell. I assume it's because you want to see if it crits so you can cast a fire blast to proc an instant pyro? This isn't what you should do. Do you know you can cast a fire blast even if your fireball cast is going on? That is something you should utilize to get pyroblast procs.

One thing is you seem to shuffle your talents around quite a bit. For single target fights I suggest you use Mirror Image, Unstable Magic and Cinderstorm. In fights that have some adds you may replace Unstable Magic with Living bomb.

Another important thing to keep in mind; when playing with the talent Mirror Image you should use Potion of Prolonged Power instead of Potion of Deadly Grace, and use it in sync with your Mirror image's since they gain a great amount of damage from this potion. (Note that you should ALWAYS use two potions in every fight; one before the pull, one during the encounter. You seemed to have logs where you used no potions, or only one.)

One big problem I found is your opening sequence of spells. When using the combination of talents I mentioned above, I would suggest you do a slight correction;

Use a potion of prolonged power 2-3 seconds before the pull and start casting fireball. Cast Mirror Image. Use all your cooldowns (Combustion, Berserking) and hope your first fireball crits. If it does, Cast Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Phoenix's Flames, Pyroblast and continue on proc'ing as many instant pyroblasts as you can.

If your first fireball isn't a critical, cast Fireblast and Phoenix's Flames and continue with the same sequence I mentioned above to generate as many pyroblasts as you can during your combustion.

These are some basic tips to help you play in a slightly more optimal way. Try to remember to keep casting as much as you can and don't wait for spells to land before deciding on your next spell. One way to practice this (even though it might not seem like fun) is hitting training dummies and pretending it is a raid encounter. This way you'll get more comfortable with your spell usage and it should help you out a lot.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Also, you should use Binding of Intellect enchant on your cloak and you should enchant your other ring. :)
uritchmage

Unread postby uritchmage Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:53 pm

I do not like using cinderstorm because I do not know the right time that I should use it. Was it basically every time he's out of cd? About fireball, I usually use fireball with fireblast together, and when I probe pyroblast I always use it in conjunction with fireball, would this be my mistake? I also always use fireball with phoenix's flame, I never use phoenix's flame alone. And about potions, sometimes I forget to use another one again, but that's something to work on.
uritchmage

Unread postby uritchmage Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:27 am

From a quick glance at the logs you linked, I found out a few of things that seemed amiss.

First of all, you're often waiting for your fireballs to land before you start casting another spell. I assume it's because you want to see if it crits so you can cast a fire blast to proc an instant pyro? This isn't what you should do. Do you know you can cast a fire blast even if your fireball cast is going on? That is something you should utilize to get pyroblast procs.

One thing is you seem to shuffle your talents around quite a bit. For single target fights I suggest you use Mirror Image, Unstable Magic and Cinderstorm. In fights that have some adds you may replace Unstable Magic with Living bomb.

Another important thing to keep in mind; when playing with the talent Mirror Image you should use Potion of Prolonged Power instead of Potion of Deadly Grace, and use it in sync with your Mirror image's since they gain a great amount of damage from this potion. (Note that you should ALWAYS use two potions in every fight; one before the pull, one during the encounter. You seemed to have logs where you used no potions, or only one.)

One big problem I found is your opening sequence of spells. When using the combination of talents I mentioned above, I would suggest you do a slight correction;

Use a potion of prolonged power 2-3 seconds before the pull and start casting fireball. Cast Mirror Image. Use all your cooldowns (Combustion, Berserking) and hope your first fireball crits. If it does, Cast Fire Blast, Pyroblast, Phoenix's Flames, Pyroblast and continue on proc'ing as many instant pyroblasts as you can.

If your first fireball isn't a critical, cast Fireblast and Phoenix's Flames and continue with the same sequence I mentioned above to generate as many pyroblasts as you can during your combustion.

These are some basic tips to help you play in a slightly more optimal way. Try to remember to keep casting as much as you can and don't wait for spells to land before deciding on your next spell. One way to practice this (even though it might not seem like fun) is hitting training dummies and pretending it is a raid encounter. This way you'll get more comfortable with your spell usage and it should help you out a lot.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Also, you should use Binding of Intellect enchant on your cloak and you should enchant your other ring. :)
I do not like using cinderstorm because I do not know the right time that I should use it. Was it basically every time he's out of cd? About fireball, I usually use fireball with fireblast together, and when I probe pyroblast I always use it in conjunction with fireball, would this be my mistake? I also always use fireball with phoenix's flame, I never use phoenix's flame alone. And about potions, sometimes I forget to use another one again, but that's something to work on.

obs: today i take the trinket kiljaeden burning wish

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”