I am so lost.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Vividzs

I am so lost.

Unread postby Vividzs Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:38 am

Mod edit: Moved to Q&A
Hey all, So I am basically brand new to mage. Been a resto druid for my entire wow career. Now that my guild no longer needs me to heal. I picked mage to reroll. Specifically arcane mage because I enjoyed the rotation the most. I am however really struggling with doing damage. I read all the wonderful guides you guys wrote, but I still feel super lost in doing damage. Particularly on Guldan and botanist.

Here are my kind of embarrassing logs :(

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 90/latest/" target="_blank

Thanks All
Gotta
Asara

Re: I am so lost.

Unread postby Asara Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:28 am

tbh your percentiles and damage look alright, especially for a first time mage, and arcane one at that. I think its more of a gear and knowing fight issue, but i havent looked at your logs in detail
gurudox

Unread postby gurudox Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:07 am

Guldan and Botanist are two or our less-amazing fights due to lots of target swapping and cleave, which are not the best attributes of Arcane.

Parsing on Botanist will look crappy if you're doing ranged mechanics correctly, because there's a bunch of Arcane mages that just sit on the melee and AoE the whole fight to inflate their logs. I'm sure something similar happens with Guldan, too, though I haven't looked at many top logs for that fight yet.

Honestly, you're at or above median for most encounters, I wouldn't be too ashamed of that. I think you'll only get better as you get more comfortable with the encounters and recognize when it's better to AoE vs. ST. Also, no Kilt. A huge percentage of top Arcane mages have the Kilt.
Vividzs

Unread postby Vividzs Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:37 am

Guldan and Botanist are two or our less-amazing fights due to lots of target swapping and cleave, which are not the best attributes of Arcane.

Parsing on Botanist will look crappy if you're doing ranged mechanics correctly, because there's a bunch of Arcane mages that just sit on the melee and AoE the whole fight to inflate their logs. I'm sure something similar happens with Guldan, too, though I haven't looked at many top logs for that fight yet.

Honestly, you're at or above median for most encounters, I wouldn't be too ashamed of that. I think you'll only get better as you get more comfortable with the encounters and recognize when it's better to AoE vs. ST. Also, no Kilt. A huge percentage of top Arcane mages have the Kilt.
Is the kilt really that amazing. I have seen the sims and done the reading,but i have never really gotten the chance to see it in action.
x1xruex1x

Unread postby x1xruex1x Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:31 am

Is the kilt really that amazing. I have seen the sims and done the reading,but i have never really gotten the chance to see it in action.
I have the kilt, and it's nice, don't get me wrong tho, but I don't think it's a godsend right now. I find it helpful when I have a fight that really hones in on constant aoe damage like Skorpyron for example. Allows me to keep in the game more frequently (when im not eyeballing DBM for the guildies who need timer assists).

In a single target, I don't feel like it's giving me a huge boost or anything. I still find myself maintaining my mana normally, and sometimes using barrage to get a usage out of the kilt, but otherwise it's almost passive.

I could be rambling right now. brain is a bit fried from trying Heroic Skorpyron for 21 wipes tonight. (guild is not really a heroic raiding guild but we're trying to convert to it).

Either way. Here's the TL;DR for my rant:
Kilt is very nice, but is more passive than anything. Forcibly trying to incorporate it doesn't feel good playstyle wise. It's nice for AoE fights, or as a passive gain while you're managing mana after a heavy burn phase ends.

Hopefully that shines some light on it from someone who just recently got it.
~Rue~
User Details:
Spoiler:
Battle Tag: Rue#1731
Character: Felona
Realm: Llane
Faction: Alliance

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”