Help with single target Frost DPS

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Giggerdigger

Help with single target Frost DPS

Unread postby Giggerdigger Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi all, medium term lurker, first time poster since I frankly can't add much! Anyways, I'm posting now because I'm having a bit of an issue, my single target DPS is really low! I sim about 410k, but in practice I get about 350k over the long term. I'd imagine it's a problem with my rotation, given that. My rotation is thus; >pre cast RoP into Ebonbolt, proc IV as casting Ebonbolt, throw Flurry and ice lance, then proc Water Jet and frost bolt away. Once that's done, I dump my FoF charges and any brain freeze (frostbolt>flurry>ice lance for the chain reaction proc), throw Frozen Orb, and begin my regular rotation.

Said regular rotation works like this:
FoF charges
Brain freeze charges (frostbolt>flurry>ice lance)
Rune of power+ebonbolt
Frostbolt if none of the above are available

I don't know how good my IV uptime is; I run TV, and I get about 45 seconds to a minute out of IV usually, so I presume that's ok? Anyways, below is my armor and combat log of me hitting a dummy in the mage hall.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... ger/simple" target="_blank (my crit is super low, bad luck with drops for a while, at least Magtheridon's is good, right?)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7ZdgHTvGQRkM4tXm/" target="_blank

Basically, any improvement to my standing-still single target DPS is what I'm trying to do, I figure if I can at least do that right, I can do better in movement too. Any help/advice would be much appreciated, I'm fairly new at this.
Krenth

Re: Help with single target Frost DPS

Unread postby Krenth Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:42 pm

I personally find that I do the lowest DPS when I am running RoP with frost. Try out IF or MI and see if that helps at all. Other than that the rotation sounds good to me.
Giggerdigger

Unread postby Giggerdigger Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:14 am

That helps a bit, yeah, thanks! But now I sim at about 420k DPS (also swapped to lonely winter) but in practice I only manage about 330k DPS now, 325k DPS without lonely winter. Am I somehow screwing up what should be an easier rotation? It's unchanged except now I don't manage waterbolt or RoP.
*EDIT: I brought my DPS up to 352k by fixing some Ebonbolt mismanagement. Still, a lot lower than the 420k I sim!
Tiefman

Unread postby Tiefman Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 am

I recomend using Incanters Flow and Unstable Magic. Deffenitley use Bone Chilling, the pet is OP. Also make sure youre shattering frostbolt and ebonbolt. to do this, say you had 2 fof procs and 1 flurry proc. dump FoF procs, cast frostbolt, then flurry. flurry will get there before frostbolt, thus shattering frostbolt
Giggerdigger

Unread postby Giggerdigger Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:33 am

I recomend using Incanters Flow and Unstable Magic. Deffenitley use Bone Chilling, the pet is OP. Also make sure youre shattering frostbolt and ebonbolt. to do this, say you had 2 fof procs and 1 flurry proc. dump FoF procs, cast frostbolt, then flurry. flurry will get there before frostbolt, thus shattering frostbolt
What makes bone chilling worth over lonely winter if it's easier and I sim higher with it? And yeah, I am shattering those two when possible :p sometimes I munch a FoF proc due to it, but I figure it's worth still.
Simseh94

Unread postby Simseh94 Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:00 pm

What makes bone chilling worth over lonely winter if it's easier and I sim higher with it? And yeah, I am shattering those two when possible :p sometimes I munch a FoF proc due to it, but I figure it's worth still.
The pet synergises well with TV, since you can get 2 FoF procs through water jet, and at the same time BC just increases your overall frost damage. Just make sure to keybind water jet, and remove the auto-cast from it. Otherwise the pet screws you over.
Giggerdigger

Unread postby Giggerdigger Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:00 pm

The pet synergises well with TV, since you can get 2 FoF procs through water jet, and at the same time BC just increases your overall frost damage. Just make sure to keybind water jet, and remove the auto-cast from it. Otherwise the pet screws you over.
I have it macro'd, how do I remove the auto cast? Even setting it all manually and trying to cast water bolt will cast water jet if it's off CD.
Venno

Unread postby Venno Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:25 am

I have it macro'd, how do I remove the auto cast? Even setting it all manually and trying to cast water bolt will cast water jet if it's off CD.
Right click on the water jet ability on the pet bar.
Personally I've found LW can work well if you aren't trying to push for IV uptime. Basically at crit shatter cap with low haste, LW is super close. Higher haste BC really starts to pull away for me.
Giggerdigger

Unread postby Giggerdigger Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:48 am

Personally I've found LW can work well if you aren't trying to push for IV uptime. Basically at crit shatter cap with low haste, LW is super close. Higher haste BC really starts to pull away for me.
There is no water jet on the pet bar, I had to macro it and right clicking that does nothing.

Right clicking water bolt to take it off auto also does nothing, manually telling it to cast water bolt will still result in it casting water jet.
Venno

Unread postby Venno Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:59 am

There is no water jet on the pet bar, I had to macro it and right clicking that does nothing.

Right clicking water bolt to take it off auto also does nothing, manually telling it to cast water bolt will still result in it casting water jet.
Go to your spells (default P), go to the pet spells tab, find water jet, drag it to the pet bar. Right click it off so it doesn't auto cast. Make sure water bolt casts automatically still.
Giggerdigger

Unread postby Giggerdigger Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 am

Go to your spells (default P), go to the pet spells tab, find water jet, drag it to the pet bar. Right click it off so it doesn't auto cast. Make sure water bolt casts automatically still.
I fixed it! The game bugged and, well, it literally bound bolt and jet to the same button. GG.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”