Question about the new artifact path

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Mcpenco

Question about the new artifact path

Unread postby Mcpenco Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 am

I noticed that in the frost guide, it says that we should get all the new traits at the start.

I understand for obsidian but why freezing rain and glacial erruption? Wouldn't it be better to put points in Let it go or frozen veins?

I have gloves and shard.

Thanks
Drozzy

Re: Question about the new artifact path

Unread postby Drozzy Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Single Target-wise, It's technically best to get old traits + OL and ignore freezing rain/glacial eruption, because freezing rain provides no benefit in ST, even though glacial eruption is the strongest single trait option (Basically, it's not worth 2 points) This is what sims show.
However, in real play, every single boss fight will see freezing rain getting value. Not only is it a quality of life/playstyle change, it's also added depth. It allows you to use blizzard for movement during frozen orb, because it's an instant cast. Blizzard sees usage on every single fight. (Krosus and Star Augur see the least, but they still see some use). Technically it's more single-target optimized to get the old traits first, but the difference is fairly negligible. Also, pure single target isn't reality. The difference is small enough that I'm getting the new traits first, just because I'd rather get the new traits.

TLDR: We as a playerbase overvalue pure ST damage. Single target matters, but it's not the only thing that matters.
Zulandia
Global Moderator

Unread postby Zulandia Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:35 am

The artifact paths were put out with a message accompanying them. You really do yourself a deservice by not reading it.

Source
Mcpenco

Unread postby Mcpenco Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:35 am

I see, thanks for the help

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”