587 Arcane mage need help!

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
detrex

587 Arcane mage need help!

Unread postby detrex Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:05 am

Well I tried out the 2pc and 14242 haste BP and frost armor last week and I mean I didn't do bad but i feel like i've done better with my 4pc. But basically I want to know if theres anything else I could do to increase my DPS (it's not bad but i would like to see it a lot higher). I do play on a shitty 15 inch laptop and lag pretty hard at times but I don't like to make that an excuse. My guild has taken a break from raiding so I have been raiding with some buddies of mine off server so my raidbots isn't to up-to-date but you can still check it out. You can also look me up on warcraft logs for the most recent raids i've done. For some reason I can't link anything in this post but my characters name is Detrex (troll) on US Area 52. Any feedback regarding what I could do to increase my DPS or what I can do to better optimize my gear/stats is greatly appreciated!
Niphyr

Re: 587 Arcane mage need help!

Unread postby Niphyr Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

Armory

Warcraft Logs

I'll leave it to the Arcane Mages to post advice though.
Cycobi
Staff emeritus

Unread postby Cycobi Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Doesn't help that he's currently logged out in PvE gear on his Armory, but oh well.

Looking through your parses, your spell priority is generally a bit odd. Feel free to chuck me a PM if you want a more detailed break-down, as I can find errors in your play on almost every boss I've looked at.

The point of the 14,242 breakpoint + 2PC isn't to go balls-to-the-walls AoE, btw. Remember that you're actually DROPPING Mastery, so your AoE isn't going to be as good; focus more on ST DPS and only AoE when it's a definite increase over ST.
detrex

Unread postby detrex Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Doesn't help that he's currently logged out in PvE gear on his Armory, but oh well.

Looking through your parses, your spell priority is generally a bit odd. Feel free to chuck me a PM if you want a more detailed break-down, as I can find errors in your play on almost every boss I've looked at.

The point of the 14,242 breakpoint + 2PC isn't to go balls-to-the-walls AoE, btw. Remember that you're actually DROPPING Mastery, so your AoE isn't going to be as good; focus more on ST DPS and only AoE when it's a definite increase over ST.
Yeah sorry i'm logged out in my PvE gear now and hmmm okay yeah I'll send you a PM and if anyone else has any other input feel free! :D
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:30 am

I took a quick look through your parses, and I wonder what you're looking for. In general you're doing well - well enough that your goal is probably to get ranks instead of just "improve dps". If you were to ask me, details on how to pad meters would seem more useful than any generic advice we can give.

I did however notice that you're fishing for Arcane Missiles with Fire Blast. I know that some Arcane Mages do this (Hotpots comes to mind), but my own understanding is that this does not give a gain, especially on single target scenarios. The DPET of Fire Blast is inferior to a 2 stack AB, and the chance to proc AM is only 20%. When I tested it on sims, it was a DPS loss. Personally, I only do it on pull when PBoI doesn't proc - also because Fire Blast has a GCD worth of time for me to react to, if the 4th AB procs PBoI.

The 14242 2T16 build isn't meant to be "superior". As I stated in the thread, 4T16 still reigns supreme on single target. 2T16 is a "compromise" build that tries to get the best of both worlds: GCD capping NT, and also slightly higher stats with 2T16 for multitarget LB/NT. As Cycobi said, the point isn't to go balls-to-the-wall, but still to do exactly the same rotation, and only taking advantage of the additional stats in multitarget fights where AM procs are abundant.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
detrex

Unread postby detrex Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:50 am

I took a quick look through your parses, and I wonder what you're looking for. In general you're doing well - well enough that your goal is probably to get ranks instead of just "improve dps". If you were to ask me, details on how to pad meters would seem more useful than any generic advice we can give.

I did however notice that you're fishing for Arcane Missiles with Fire Blast. I know that some Arcane Mages do this (Hotpots comes to mind), but my own understanding is that this does not give a gain, especially on single target scenarios. The DPET of Fire Blast is inferior to a 2 stack AB, and the chance to proc AM is only 20%. When I tested it on sims, it was a DPS loss. Personally, I only do it on pull when PBoI doesn't proc - also because Fire Blast has a GCD worth of time for me to react to, if the 4th AB procs PBoI.

The 14242 2T16 build isn't meant to be "superior". As I stated in the thread, 4T16 still reigns supreme on single target. 2T16 is a "compromise" build that tries to get the best of both worlds: GCD capping NT, and also slightly higher stats with 2T16 for multitarget LB/NT. As Cycobi said, the point isn't to go balls-to-the-wall, but still to do exactly the same rotation, and only taking advantage of the additional stats in multitarget fights where AM procs are abundant.
I appreciate the response Komma! I believe I did have the wrong mindset going into the new 2pc build lol but now i'm just curious as to what Cycobi has to say about my spell prioritization!

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”