Frost opener with gloves

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Mcpenco

Frost opener with gloves

Unread postby Mcpenco Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:40 am

Hey guys,

I know the standard opener with gloves is:
Ebonbolt-IV-IL-Frostbolt-flurry-IL then orb.

That's what I am currently using and I have 2 questions.

1) Should I consume all additional flurry procs before using orb or just cast orb and use the flurry procs after I run out of FoF procs

2) When using this opener, Ebonbolt does not shatter. Wouldn't it be better to go like this:
Frostbolt-IV-IL-Ebonbolt-flurry-IL then orb?

I know that it makes more sense to pre-cast ebonbolt but having it crit is also a good idea.

Thanks for the help!
Mcpenco

Re: Frost opener with gloves

Unread postby Mcpenco Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Bump!
Drozzy

Unread postby Drozzy Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:03 pm

The opener I prefer is:
Ebon->flurry->IL+IV->orb->IL->stuff

I have seen arguments from both sides and the two openers are probably a negligible amount of difference in dps.
Comparing the other opener to mine:
Pros (of mine):
Shatters ebonbolt
Gets out orb asap
Consistently the same. You'll never have a chance BF proc which messes with your opener
Cons:
ebonbolt+flurry don't benefit from 20% frost dmg buff from Chilled to the Core (IV golden trait).
No chance for stacking chain reaction

Notes:
-My opener only works well because of spell travel time. Travel time allows for IV to be up before the first IL hits the target, so it extends IV. If the target is going to be pulled on-top of you during the opener, the window you have to use IV gets smaller.
-I am uncertain if sims can accurately measure for my opener. Every other class/spec has damage/effects calculated on spellcast finish, so that would be the standard for sims to use. However, frost mage spell damage/effects calculate when the spell hits the target.
-My opener may cause glacial eruption to shatter, which may change the strengths of the openers. I know I have read that glacial eruption can shatter, but I personally don't have the trait yet so I don't know how things play out.
Mcpenco

Unread postby Mcpenco Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:19 am

The opener I prefer is:
Ebon->flurry->IL+IV->orb->IL->stuff

I have seen arguments from both sides and the two openers are probably a negligible amount of difference in dps.
Comparing the other opener to mine:
Pros (of mine):
Shatters ebonbolt
Gets out orb asap
Consistently the same. You'll never have a chance BF proc which messes with your opener
Cons:
ebonbolt+flurry don't benefit from 20% frost dmg buff from Chilled to the Core (IV golden trait).
No chance for stacking chain reaction

Notes:
-My opener only works well because of spell travel time. Travel time allows for IV to be up before the first IL hits the target, so it extends IV. If the target is going to be pulled on-top of you during the opener, the window you have to use IV gets smaller.
-I am uncertain if sims can accurately measure for my opener. Every other class/spec has damage/effects calculated on spellcast finish, so that would be the standard for sims to use. However, frost mage spell damage/effects calculate when the spell hits the target.
-My opener may cause glacial eruption to shatter, which may change the strengths of the openers. I know I have read that glacial eruption can shatter, but I personally don't have the trait yet so I don't know how things play out.
Thanks for the response.

If I understand correctly you use IV after the first IL so that the IL gained from using IV with gloves is not wasted. I wonder if that is the correct opener to use since a lot of damage is lost from not having the 20% buff to Ebonbolt, GE and flurry.

Sometimes I watch Xyroblast's stream and he uses:
precast frostbolt - IV - IL - Ebonbolt - Flurry - IL - Orb.

I don't know how I feel about that either because Ebonbolt cast time is long and doing it as a pre-cast seems the smarter thing to do.

Can anyone else give their 2 cents on this?

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”