General Arcane Question

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Starpeen

General Arcane Question

Unread postby Starpeen Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 am

So I have been raiding on my Arcane mage for a while now and a simple question arose as I had been fighting Heroic Gul'dan as I realized I had been in this situation a lot. As I had been focusing on mechanics more and not perfectly achieving each individual second of my rotation as an Acane Mage, I started to see that after using Arcane Power, it would often be close to coming off cooldown before I was able to fully burn my mana. I was wondering if, in that situation, I would want to continue bursting still and then use Evocation before using Arcane Power, or if I would want to hollup a second and conserve just a bit until I can use Arcane Power again and THEN use Evocation.
maynord

Re: General Arcane Question

Unread postby maynord Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:16 pm

It's a bit complicated, I hope I can explain my thoughts well!

I would use AP ASAP, mainly because of the new Mark of Aluneth trait which refunds mana. Even if you're at 20% mana, MoA will explode before you OOM during AP, and you can finish your AP burst at near zero mana.

If you Evocate, then AP + MoA, the mana refund will go largely wasted.

To avoid the awkward synchronisation of these CDs, I have a WA which clearly shows my Evocation CD, and I try to dump extra AMs (with 4 set) and use all my mana so that AP is 6+ seconds BEHIND Evo.

This awkward sync is also why I really like Gravity Spiral, and use it with Kilt often -- it makes it so that you never "waste" Evocation, as a second charge will always be ticking when needed.
Forrader

Re: General Arcane Question

Unread postby Forrader Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Never postpone AP if there is a risk that by the end of the fight you will miss another AP due to earlier postponements. Otherwise if you are confident about fight length and you have another 30-60 seconds to postpone - feel free to wait for evocation and then burn.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”