Looking for some advice after switching from fire to frost.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Jobui

Looking for some advice after switching from fire to frost.

Unread postby Jobui Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am

Mod Edit: Moved to Q&A/Help

I'm a long time lurker on this forum, but decided I wanted to get some advice from you very knowledgeable folks. I had been playing fire since Legion was released. After how far fire had fallen in the charts, I made the decision to make the switch to frost. I've read over a ton of posts about frost and gotten what I think is a pretty good start in setting up my frost spec.

Here is a link to my armory as it currently stands.

I have Ebonchill up to rank 44. I have all the new ranks and 4/4 in "Let it Go" and "Frozen Veins".

My relics are: 885 (The Storm Rages), 885 (Let it Go), 895 (The Storm Rages). I know The Storm Rages isn't optimal, but they're the best I've been able to get my hands on so far. I've been trying to get them all to be Let it Go or perhaps Frozen Veins.

I'm currently sitting at ilvl 895 with a 4-piece set (wearing the head, back, hands, and legs). I have a decent tier chest piece but only LFR shoulders. I can make some adjustments to my tier setup if needed.

I have the following legendary gear for frost (stuff I collected as fire that works with frost):
Shard of the Exodar (worn)
Belo'vir's Final Stand (worn)
Norgannon's Foresight
Sephuz's Secret
Kil'jaeden's Burning Wish

I haven't gotten a frost specific legendary since I made the switch yet.

My stats are as follows:
Crit: 32.93%
Haste: 19.64%
Versatility: 5.03%
Mastery: 34.85%

My gems and enchants are currently set up for Crit (except the ones that go for Int). Should I be switching those over to haste instead? I'm unsure about that. SimC has been giving me the following stat weights lately:

Int: 18.27
Crit: 6.7
Haste: 15.6
Mastery: 11.01
Versatility 17.15

I suspect that it is devaluing Crit at this point because I'm close to, at, or above the the "shatter cap" (which I understand is 33%). My concern is that if I switch out my gems or gear for Haste/Versatility that it would affect my crit too much and I would end up with worse DPS?

So can any of you folks give me some insight as to what I should change on my current setup to get the most out of it? I'd rather get some advice before buy gems and make enchants to switch it around. Thanks for your time.

Mod Edit: WCL Link:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... 35/latest/
Katsumi

Re: Looking for some advice after switching from fire to fro

Unread postby Katsumi Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:55 am

Congratulations for getting the Gloves.

It was pointed out elsewhere around here that simcraft becomes inaccurate around the shatter cap. I was confused by the same issue, because while you're not over it yet, you already get the reduced stat weight. Simcraft seems to add a certain amount if crit to recalculate the stat weights, which then pushes you over the cap. Just disregard the crit stat weight in this case and stick to the finding that it remains your best stat until you hit the cap.

Other than that your stat distribution seems fine. If you can maintain the crit cap you can start to slowly gear towards versatility now, but unless you're over the cap I wouldn't touch your crit. The only thing I'd change from what I can see in your armory right now is to get rid of the mastery on your wrists and wear set shoulders instead of the set robe, again getting rid of the mastery there.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”