Fire Mage DPS Low. Help analyze and learn to self Analyze

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Nerdcommando

Fire Mage DPS Low. Help analyze and learn to self Analyze

Unread postby Nerdcommando Sun May 07, 2017 12:06 am

Hello,

My damage is way low. I know some gear would help improve my DPS, but there is no way that is main problem. The other fire mages in my guild seem to be consistently 75k+ better than me on each pull (I know they have they have the writs and I don't - but again that's not going to explain enough of the difference).

We are working on Krosus and Tich

My question is two-fold
1) What am I doing wrong (trying to match Rinoa's guide). Using Pro-longed Power and either Suarmar Feast or Hungry Magisters Food.

2) How are you figuring this out - because when I compare logs I am not seeing it. What next step-analysis would you suggest in order to improve?

Thanks,
Here are all my logs -
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/usercalendar/228891" target="_blank

And if you cannot open that. Here is my last Krosus logs
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/co ... amage-done" target="_blank

Tich Logs
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dwM6nWvr9zKJp1xY" target="_blank

Armory
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/z ... cks/simple" target="_blank

Thanks in advance.

Also any guidance on how to do this sucessfully myself is appreciated.
DevolGaming

Re: Fire Mage DPS Low. Help analyze and learn to self Analy

Unread postby DevolGaming Mon May 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi mate actually i dont have something special to answer to your questions but overall whould prefer to give u some advices. I was fire mage like you, i loved it but when i joined a good guild i was in the bottom of the dps roster. With good gear i was doing at krosus arround 600-680k dps without wrist. Wrist makes a really difference for fire mage and you can't really compete with other mages having wrist. My advice is really to switch to frost and u will see really great dps and without to much effort. When i was about to switch i was totally afraid for the time that will get me to get artifact traits etc but imagine with 52 traits on fire pre 7.2 and 40 traits on frost i had way more damage with frost. Overally its worth to switch and now i am top dps on guild doing 1m + on triliax, chrono. Finally wanna add that your guild have really low dps for Krosus dont think u can make it with this dps. Hope you consider my advice.
MashTactics

Unread postby MashTactics Tue May 09, 2017 7:59 am

My advice is really to switch to frost and u will see really great dps and without to much effort. When i was about to switch i was totally afraid for the time that will get me to get artifact traits etc but imagine with 52 traits on fire pre 7.2 and 40 traits on frost i had way more damage with frost. Overally its worth to switch and now i am top dps on guild doing 1m + on triliax, chrono. Finally wanna add that your guild have really low dps for Krosus dont think u can make it with this dps. Hope you consider my advice.
This is just super not-helpful.

Yes, Frost is better than Fire most of the time. I have a hard time believing that this is the first time they've heard that. But they likely just don't *want* to switch. Hell, the only reason I even switched to Frost is because, against all odds, the gloves were my first Frost legendary. Otherwise I would have just stayed fire. Maybe they just don't have the means to switch right now.

Or hell, maybe they're trying to, but they don't have the legendaries/traits to pull their weight as Frost.

But none of that matters, because they didn't ask about being Frost.
DevolGaming

Unread postby DevolGaming Tue May 09, 2017 10:28 am

Yes, Frost is better than Fire most of the time. I have a hard time believing that this is the first time they've heard that. But they likely just don't *want* to switch. Hell, the only reason I even switched to Frost is because, against all odds, the gloves were my first Frost legendary. Otherwise I would have just stayed fire. Maybe they just don't have the means to switch right now.

Or hell, maybe they're trying to, but they don't have the legendaries/traits to pull their weight as Frost.

Laughed so hard when i saw your comment mate :). You are just the guy that want to be smart in a post. If u dont mind you can check what i said to this guy above quoted message. I already told him i dont have something special to help him but told him my little story and tried to let this guy know my thought. So if u dont have something special and helpful to say dont post under a helpful post about something super not-helpful as was your comment.
Have a nice day!
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Tue May 09, 2017 11:18 am

Hey there,

Here's how I would go about finding your problem. To disentangle rotational and fight-related performance I'm looking at fights where you should have no problem with the mechanics. In your case, that would be a kill of Trilliax on Heroic, let's say May 1st: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/HG ... amage-done You should always try to master for basics before you move on to master the fight-specific adjustments. Before anything though let me state that the bracers are a big deal for ST fights, but you can do well without them. Just sim yourself with and without them to see what I mean, but also check the logs of outstanding mages who don't use them.

Your ilvl% is the first thing that I'm looking at. Given your very low raid DPS overall, 58 is not super bad but there's a lot of room for improvement. After that I'm checking your activity level. 98.74% suggests that you're not wasting a lot of GCDs and that you didn't die, but you must have had some short downtimes. The problem thus has to be with what you're doing with your time.

Next I'm digging deeper into your personal performance, starting with the summary overview. Since Trilliax is a single target fight (aside from padding) you could drop some of your mastery. How much and in favour of which other stat you should always sim. If you have the option you could exchange Darckli's for a more useful legendary - most of the damage it does in this fight is meaningless. My choice would be the bracers or Shard of Exodar. Regarding your talents, assuming you switch legendaries you should also switch to Flame on, but the setup you've chosen is not an issue from my point of view.

After that I'm looking at the Damage Done tab. The aforementioned expected drops are visible here, you seem to have stopped casting altogether around 01:05, 02:15 and 03:45. Especially the last drop hurt you badly because it must have happened during Koralon's execute phase.

I'm not going into the damage taken side of things, but you could have blinked a lot more. Don't forget that it heals you significantly (nicely visible in the fire mage challenge) and every bit helps.

Personally, I find the buff section to be the most helpful to find mistakes. Apparently you delayed your second Mirror Image as well as your combustion by almost a minute. That meant that you lost 15 seconds at the end of the fight where you could have had them, which is a huge DPS loss. You also did not use your second pot during combustion, but afterwards and you didn't use a rune. However, all of these things still don't fully explain what's going on. We have to look at your individual casts.

You seem to have done an awful lot of scorching, apparently during the beam phase. Keep in mind that you have a lot of other tools to stay mobile, such as your instant casts and your shimmer. Especially the latter should be your skill of choice in case something forces you to move. You only want to use scorch if you have no instant that you can use and you have depleted both stacks of shimmer. You also missed one Meteor by not casting it on cooldown every time. The same goes for Dragon's Breath, and that's where I think much of the problem lies. After all, you have the legendary as well as AF as a talent - you don't want to delay it at any cost. Consequently, you lost a bunch of instant pyros by not utilizing it as much as you could have. Finally, you don't have to use slow fall if you soak a bomb - shimmer will place you on the ground without any fall damage as well, which you can do while casting another instant.

Finally, let's look at some of the details. You need to clean up your opener a bit and take a look at your execute phase. You can use a Fire Blast while you're casting Scorch to force a HS proc at the end of it and then launch a pyro immediately, allowing you to get out more of them in a shorter period of time. You want to make the best use of that long execute phase, and the drop there hurt you badly. The biggest benefit of having the belt is that you don't have to stand still anymore, making it very easy to dodge damage and play the mechanics.

To sum it up: Never delay your cooldowns (unless you're absolutely sure that you have to) and never stop casting (ever).

One final remark: Always try to fix one problem at a time. I just looked at your Krosus logs very quickly in the end, your current problem is definitely that you delay your cooldowns. Don't try to fix anything else until you nail that.
Last edited by Katsumi on Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katsumi

Unread postby Katsumi Tue May 09, 2017 11:27 am

Laughed so hard when i saw your comment mate :). You are just the guy that want to be smart in a post. If u dont mind you can check what i said to this guy above quoted message. I already told him i dont have something special to help him but told him my little story and tried to let this guy know my thought. So if u dont have something special and helpful to say dont post under a helpful post about something super not-helpful as was your comment.
Have a nice day!
He's not trying to be smart, he's right. Suggesting our friend here to switch to frost is like telling someone to take the bus who's trying to fix a flat tire.

Your comment regarding the wrists is also misguided, because you absolutely can do competitive DPS without them. They're a big deal, but as I've shown above there's usually a variety of things you can and have to take care of before they become your main concern.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”