Help with DPS, logs inside

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Nova_xp

Help with DPS, logs inside

Unread postby Nova_xp Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm

I've recently been trying to really clean up my rotation and up my DPS. I'm usually lower in the DPS standings of our guild, and I really want to change that. We wiped all night on Fallen Avatar yesterday, and, although as a guild we need to work on mechanics, I feel I may be holding us back sometimes due to my poor performance. I've read guides, done sims and stat weights, really tried to optimize what I can, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Here is the logs from last nights raid:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/YW1wTyjBft6N8FGm

I'm Novene. I was parsing last alot of the time except for the one time I randomly parsed a 97 (pull 21). I'm really just trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong in my rotation, if it's just bad luck in procs, or something else entirely and figure out if there was something different in the pull that I parsed high.

Any advice is welcome. I'm open to any criticism.

Armory:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... dan/novene
WoWProgress:
https://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/illidan/Novene
Xinder

Re: Help with DPS, logs inside

Unread postby Xinder Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:23 pm

So for starters, it's not just you btw, but people's obsession with linking pulls and commenting about how they parsed is just silly. You can't determine how you parsed unless you kill the boss. The Rankings tab of warcraftlogs doesn't even work if you don't actually kill the boss. Also full fights where the boss is killed allow you to better gauge how many CDs(IV for example) you should have had over the course of the fight. How many Ebonbolts should have been cast if they were cast on CD. Etc. /rant over

On to the logs. I picked on your 21st pull because you mentioned feeling like you did the best on that one(granted you used the ranking number to say that, but I digress).

1. You don't appear to be shattering ebonbolt. Your ebonbolt shatter rate is 75% on 4 ebonbolts. So one didn't crit. Given your armory stats you should be at shatter cap so if you're always casting Ebonbolt and immediately following with the free Flurry you get at the end of Ebonbolt then you should have 100%

2. You're using Frozen Touch over Splitting Ice. You might be nervous about cleaving to Maiden when her shield isn't up, don't worry SI is broken on this fight no matter how close she is to him. SI will also give you more IL dmg overall and likely is worth taking over FT

3. I don't know what Trinkets you have available to you but Star gate is not the best on ST fights, which avatar qualifies as because you only attack Maiden at specific times. If you have been passing on them or have them in your bags, Terror from Below and/or Sentinel's Medallion are going to be better to use. If you are unsure if the ilvl of them is better than the stargate you can go to radibots.com and sim yourself to find out. I'd guess even an LFR ilvl version of either of those two is going to be vastly better than the Stargate.

4. Lastly, is there a particular reason you're only using 2pc T19 and 2PC T20 and not 2pc T19 + 4PC T20? Just not received the drops you need or something else? The 4PC T20 gives you more frozen orbs over a fight which will be more IL casts and that should help dmg as well.

Those are things I found in digging through that particular log. It also looked like you were shattering ILs correctly and not casting unempowered ones, yet your crit % was only 81% on ILs. So i'm not sure if the very slightly below 33.34% just screwed you on a few of them or what, but that looked solid. There appeared to be maybe one munched BF proc, it wasn't cast at least, but that could be because you all wiped at that point and the fight ended after the proc.
Nova_xp

Unread postby Nova_xp Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 pm

1. One question I did have that I forgot to include in my original post was should I be using the BF proc from Ebonbolt to shatter itself every time? I've been going using the proc from EB to shatter a FB immediatly after for the IV cd reduction. My opener usually goes Pre-pot, pre-cast Ebonbolt, IV, FB>Flurry>IL, FO, etc. Should I be shattering that EB and activating IV after?

2. Ok. I was just thinking about ST talents and never really knew if the 5% damage from SI is worth over the FT buff.

3. Those are my best trinks atm. I'm using every seal I have to get the sentinel and terror lol

4. I dumped my 4 piece T19 to add the 2 piece T20. I ran sims to make sure that it was worth. I do not have the 4 pc T20 yet unfortunately. Missed a few raid weeks due to personal reasons and am a bit behind.
Nova_xp

Unread postby Nova_xp Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm

As far as the shatter cap and being slightly below it, I'm going to trade out a gem or enchant for a crit one just to push it over the edge.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:55 pm

1. One question I did have that I forgot to include in my original post was should I be using the BF proc from Ebonbolt to shatter itself every time? I've been going using the proc from EB to shatter a FB immediatly after for the IV cd reduction. My opener usually goes Pre-pot, pre-cast Ebonbolt, IV, FB>Flurry>IL, FO, etc. Should I be shattering that EB and activating IV after?

2. Ok. I was just thinking about ST talents and never really knew if the 5% damage from SI is worth over the FT buff.

3. Those are my best trinks atm. I'm using every seal I have to get the sentinel and terror lol

4. I dumped my 4 piece T19 to add the 2 piece T20. I ran sims to make sure that it was worth. I do not have the 4 pc T20 yet unfortunately. Missed a few raid weeks due to personal reasons and am a bit behind.
1. You are correct. The free BF proc from the end of the Ebonbolt cast should be used to shatter the ebonbolt. Because of travel times, as long as you're about 15yds or so back the flurry will reach first and apply winter's chill so the ebonbolt will shatter. Your opener would be similar, pre pot around 3 secs > Start Ebonbolt cast > IV(cause it's off the GCD) > BF proc Flurry and your ebonbolt should shatter. Then you can go into tossing out the frozen orb and go from there. When you do get 4pc t20, the opener doesn't have to change.

2. You'd have to sim yourself to be 100% sure. Typically the advantage of SI is it has a higher highs and lows in dmg because of the randomness of FoF procs. If RNG shines on you it will outshine FT. Also in situations where you can cleave even just a handful of times, SI will outshine FT. (poor FT, nerfed to shit lol)

3&4. Sorry to hear that, yeah keep using those rolls :) and good luck on getting the 4 set.
As far as the shatter cap and being slightly below it, I'm going to trade out a gem or enchant for a crit one just to push it over the edge.
That should work. Honestly you're really really stupid close that it shouldn't matter, but it was something I noticed. You may also want to hold off until you can put in a full fight and see how many chances for shattered ILs you had versus how many you casted. It's very possible the 1 difference I saw is what caused the 81%. You had 58 IL casts and 59 total chances for a shattered IL (30 BF procs + 29 FoF procs). This is why I say hold off, you didn't get to use all of it b/c it wasn't a full fight. Which is why using wipes to analyze things like this can be problematic.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”