Frost Mage Help (Logs inside)

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Trauma1

Frost Mage Help (Logs inside)

Unread postby Trauma1 Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:03 am

Hello everyone.

As the title says. Im looking for someone to help me learn/help me analyze my logs for the past couple of weeks as I recently joined a new guild and they over all perform better than my old guild, so naturally I want to do as best as I can myself as I'm currently in trial status, and I want to stay with these guys and raid with them. However, im not exactly sure how to read and analyze logs to know what exactly i should be doing and looking at to improve.

My WoW Armory Page can be found here:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... garclivery

My first week with this new guild can be found here. I am "Garclivery": https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/fL ... amage-done

My second week logs can be found here:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/4b ... amage-done

I did not include the 2nd night of raiding each week as I was sat both nights due to lower DPS and the guild trying to push hard to down KJ, which is perfectly fine and understandable to me.

You may notice that my second week is better than my first week. This is because I consulted a guildie who has a 927 Frost Mage in another guild and he parses 95+ on every fight. He helped teach me the opener and give me some quick tips to improve, which did help tremendously. But I can't help but feel that I am still tremendously lacking the the DPS department.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys could give me in regards to improving my performance or tips and pointers when it comes to using warcraft logs to target trouble areas and to do better.

Thanks in advance!
Xinder

Re: Frost Mage Help (Logs inside)

Unread postby Xinder Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:55 pm

So I'm at work but just a quick glance I found a few things that stand out. I am using your Goroth Heroic kill for reference as that fight at least has more mechanics than normal so there's the chance for more forced movement that you have to adjust to while DPSing.

1. You're using FT over SI. You can SIM yourself to be sure, but going FT over SI even on pure ST is likely a very small DPS increase, while going SI gives you a higher potential high end if RNG shines on you with lots of ILs. If you look across Warcraft logs on Frost mage parses, even on Goroth Heroic, I'd wager a large portion are using SI. FT is just a sad talent and has been mostly dead since Blizzard changed its behavior.

2. You casted 59 Ice Lances but between BF procs and FoF procs you had 65 potential empowered ILs. Which means either you're munching procs or just not using them fast enough so you lose some. 6 lost ILs at your average dmg of them of 1 mil is 6 mil overall dmg missed over the course of the fight. That's just shy of 30k more dps you'd have done. If you have a BF and IL proc and you're clearing the BF proc first, then yeah you'll have munched a "free" IL cast, but actual FoF procs should always be used when you get them especially if you've just thrown out a frozen orb since that can generate 3 charges right off the bat if RNG smiles on you. So make sure you don't already have 3 stacks when you Orb. If you have 2 stacks and you orb make sure to immediately IL to clear them before the orb hits so you don't risk munching.

3. You missed a shattered Ebonbolt. You have the shatter cap, yet you only had 80% crit on Ebonbolt. You should be using the free BF proc that occurs right as you finish your Ebonbolt cast to shatter the ebonbolt. I looks like Ebonbolt > Flurry > IL. This also should be your opener with a prepot in front of the ebonbolt and popping IV of course. I'm not sure what opener your friend gave you but Pre-Pot > Precast Ebonbolt > IV > Flurry > IL and then you can Orb and start IL. I personally pop owl right after I throw out my orb since it gives me potentially a lot of IL casts to proc the extra dmg on owl.

4. You pre-potted but didn't use a 2nd pot during the fight. That's lost dmg.

5. I don't know who casted the Time Warp on that fight at the start, you or the other mage, but if it's you....stop it. You have Shard, the fire mage doesn't. Make him lust on pull so you can control when you get your 2nd lust. Also, you didn't use a 2nd lust that fight which is why I suspected you may have been the one to lust on pull and then you just forgot to ask someone to lust you when you wanted your 2nd. Regardless, you need to be using the 2nd lust so that's lots of missed dmg too.

Start with those and see if that helps your DPS. Let me know if you have any questions.
Trauma1

Unread postby Trauma1 Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for taking the time to point a few things out.

The opener you said is the same opener my guildie told me so that's not an issue there.

Also I don't believe I casted Time Warp in that fight but it could be possible. I do have a tendency to forget that I have a second blood lust at my disposal. So you make s great point there that I shouldn't be the one to lust.

Everything else here are good points and I do believe I've had instances where I have munched procs. That's something that I'll have to work on.

Quick question, DPS wise am I doing alright for what my ilvl is? I feel like I'm doing much, that said my guildies are all better geared than me so maybe seeing them do souch damage and me not doing as much has me feeling like I should be doing more.
Trauma1

Unread postby Trauma1 Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:22 pm

The opener you said is the same opener my guildie told me so that's not an issue there.

Also I don't believe I casted Time Warp in that fight but it could be possible. I do have a tendency to forget that I have a second blood lust at my disposal. So you make s great point there that I shouldn't be the one to lust.

Everything else here are good points and I do believe I've had instances where I have munched procs. That's something that I'll have to work on.

Quick question, DPS wise am I doing alright for what my ilvl is? I feel like I'm doing much, that said my guildies are all better geared than me so maybe seeing them do souch damage and me not doing as much has me feeling like I should be doing more.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:45 pm

Yeah you look to be doing fine for 910 ilvl (what you were in the heroic goroth kill). It's hard to compare yourself to guildies who don't play the same class as you for starters AND have 10 to 15 ilvls on you. That makes a pretty drastic difference from fight to fight.
Trauma1

Unread postby Trauma1 Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:40 am

Yeah you look to be doing fine for 910 ilvl (what you were in the heroic goroth kill). It's hard to compare yourself to guildies who don't play the same class as you for starters AND have 10 to 15 ilvls on you. That makes a pretty drastic difference from fight to fight.
Ok cool. Im just kind of one of those people who feels compelled to be on top or as close to top as possible on damage so its kind of like this drive to constantly do better and beat others regardless of class. So even though I probably shouldn't compare myself to other classes, i do anyways.

Thanks again for the pointers and the re assurance that my DPS seems fine. Looks like I'll just keep working on the things you mentioned alongside the other things ive made note of about myself and keep gearing up.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 am

Ok cool. Im just kind of one of those people who feels compelled to be on top or as close to top as possible on damage so its kind of like this drive to constantly do better and beat others regardless of class. So even though I probably shouldn't compare myself to other classes, i do anyways.

Thanks again for the pointers and the re assurance that my DPS seems fine. Looks like I'll just keep working on the things you mentioned alongside the other things ive made note of about myself and keep gearing up.
Good luck!

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”