How to read logs

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Syntek

How to read logs

Unread postby Syntek Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:45 am

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to improve as a frost mage and a player in general. For that I'd really like to learn how to read my logs and I guess it would enable me to help others too.

Is there a comprehensive guide for reading logs or anybody who would be willing to give a few hints how to read logs?
Xinder

Re: How to read logs

Unread postby Xinder Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:01 pm

A second of typing "how to read warcraft logs" into youtube resulted in this: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... opensearch

Have fun. I've personally watched the Preach Gaming video on it and think he does a pretty good job of explaining it but there's lots of options to pick from if you don't care for his style.
Syntek

Unread postby Syntek Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 am

Thanks for your reply. I obviously did that first and well ... there are a ton of videos about it and I didn't want to sit through 10 of them without knowing which are actually worth watching. I'm also more of a reader so I'd love a written guide which I could just open up to look up something specific if I forgot how somehting works.

I was also hoping for some general tips on what to look into as a mage. As a Frost mage I guess it would just be not munchin BF procs, cap on FoF and stuff like that but especially as fire and arcane I'd have no idea how to start.

Will look into Preach Gamings video. Thanks for the suggestion.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:47 am

Icy-veins or wowhead doesn't have anything? Not sure where else would have something if they don't. An easy thing to find on logs is how many shatter ILs you should have had vs how many IL casts you did. If you click on yourself in the dmg breakdown, then go to dmg done, you will see how many IL casts you did. Then you can go to the buffs tab and add up all the BF procs and the FoF procs you had. In an ideal world they'd equal each other.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”