To Hell WIth the Crit Cap?

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Infarc

To Hell WIth the Crit Cap?

Unread postby Infarc Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Quick story and then a question for the experts out there...

Aside from myself, there are two other frost mages that raid regularly in my guild. I'm thermal void, one is glacial spike, and the other waffles between the two. We all have our 4 piece set bonus for the T20, and our stats are pretty much identical (including 34% crit) except for versatility. Even though my item level is slightly higher, these guys are blowing by my on the dps charts. I've studied the logs, and we're all doing the same rotations and using the same priorities for the most part. One does have Shard of the Exodar which I know is a dps boost, but I knew there was more.

So as I said earlier, their versatility was anywhere between 8-10%, where I was at 5%. My gear did not allow me to raise that number without sacrificing my crit cap, so I studied everything else...logs, rotations, guides, you name it.

Finally (and a little out of desperation) I did my gear swap. I still have my 4 piece set bonus, but now I'm sitting at 25% crit, 12% versatility and 29% haste. The weird thing is, I'm simming higher dps like this than with the crit cap at 33.34%.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? Is the crit cap that important? My sims seem to think that this is the better setup. Now I won't have a chance to test this in action until our raids again next week, but I'd like to hear from the frost mage community on your thoughts. No logs, no sims, just your honest opinions and theory craft.

Look forward to hearing from you!
Stay Frosty
Infarc

Re: To Hell WIth the Crit Cap?

Unread postby Infarc Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:24 pm

P.S.

Here is my armory though in case anyone wants to know exactly what I have equipped:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... ran/infarc :D
Stay Frosty
alpacapacino

Unread postby alpacapacino Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Dude, shatter cap has been outdated for awhile. You don't stack crit until shatter cap then start stacking, haste and vers. You typically want a 1:1 ratio but you should ALWAYS sim yourself and import your pawn string.

Stat weights are not static. They have DR, for example the more haste you stack the more versatility is buffed. The values never stay same and that's why you sim.
Syntek

Unread postby Syntek Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:43 am

Simcraft stops valuing crit very high at like 31%. It then is rated even lower than mastery for me. Having shatter cap is probably the safe variant which guarantees you a solid DPS every fight while stopping at 30% and stacking vers will give you some insane pulls and others not so much.
Infarc

Unread postby Infarc Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:49 am

Thank you so much for your input! At times I have a very static way of looking at things (which isn't ideal in this case). I really appreciate your thoughts, experiences and opinions on this! Keep the knowledge coming!
Stay Frosty

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”