Need help with frost. Many Questions and Logs.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Xidian

Need help with frost. Many Questions and Logs.

Unread postby Xidian Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:42 am

It seems once again I'm off the pace in heroic as for mythic I'll probably just go fire and my priority will be helping to kill bosses more than doing silly dps.

I have many questions but here are my logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... tar/xidian

Please let me know if you see anything super obvious. (I'm pretty sure I missed an Sentinel Medallion or a pot in a couple of those kills) also while I'm not heart broken at my play when I look at how I do for bracket it is a bit disappointing.

Now the questions:

1) I have a mythic nighthold cloak and the rest of the tier I have is heroic (890) what if anything should I use form that tier / what should I aim to pick up?

2) As well as a 920 Sentinel Medallion and 920 Terror From Below I have a 920 Whispers in the Dark as well but looking at the logs I'm not sure when I should use the Whispers or what I should use it with. Basically when should I use it and should I use it over terror or medallion.

3) Should I delay orb if Icy Veins is coming up? How long should I delay for? should I delay ebonbolt as well?

4) The opener I'm doing is 3s before the pull Pot>Ebonbolt>CDs>Flurry>Ice Lance>Orb>IL in to the standard rotation. Is this what I should be doing?

5) How can I get rid of some mastery? (I'm serious)

6) I have the 930 haste+vers ring from Arcway should I drop down to 30-31% crit and replace my thumb ring? Thumb ring is giving me a ton of crit and also has vers but not a lot and I think the ring has 200+ haste. . I also have 920 haste+crit shoulders from Fallen Avatar but can't really scoop up any haste / vers elsewhere and would have to use tier legs which just give me a ton of mastery.

7) On Mistress and Harjatan should I wait for the first wave of adds to pop Frozen orb and Icy Veins? (I know it would be padding really)

8) Should I save IV for the green/yellow orb buff on maiden? (We hero on the pull).

Thanks a in advance. <3
Eldeluc

Re: Need help with frost. Many Questions and Logs.

Unread postby Eldeluc Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 pm

For most of your questions I would suggest you use raidbots.com to sim your different gear options. (Top Gear).
I just checked your best heroic Goroth log. A clear improvement could be that you make sure you don't munch any Brain Freeze procs. You had 23 procs and only 20 casts of Flurry. This needs to be 100%. Same goes for Fingers of Frost + Brain Freeze > Total Ice Lances. You are always going to munch FoF procs but the goal is to keep this number as low as possible. Check the frost guides on this forum for the different situations that can occur and what your best move is at that time.

1) Ideally you would use the Shoulders and Legs from tier19 since they don't have mastery. Since you have the mythic cloak perhaps that will be a better option so use raidbots to figure that out. I can imagine a combination of cloak and shoulders/legs t19 will still be better than using off set pieces.

2) Sim yourself with different types of fights if you want to know which trinkets are best for what fights (Patchwerk, Hectic Add Cleave, etc). Doubt whispers will be better for anything and both of the others trinkets are much easier to utilize to their full effect for you.

3) You don't delay frozen orb for more than a few seconds. To know if you should delay ebonbolt you need to know how many ebonbolts you can cast for the duration of that particular fight. So if you delay it will it cost you another cast before the fight is over. If you don't want to do that just don't delay it for more than a few seconds as well.

4) That opener is correct.
5) Replace your Shoulders and Legs asap with tier19 or items without mastery.
6) Sim the different combinations

7) Don't delay your cooldowns on the pull. If you're lucky you can even get frozen orb back up during the first add spawns. If you don't then just hardcast blizzard right before they spawn. And recast if they don't die before it comes off cd again. Personally when adds are about to spawn I hold off on casting frozen orb but if your raid destroys them anyway there is little to gain from that.

8) Don't save your cooldowns. You will sometimes have IV come back up way before a shield phase so use your own judgement whether you should hold off on using it or not. Don't delay it so long that it will cost you another icy veins during the entire fight, Make sure you don't pop it right before a shield phase starts (when you still have to move). And time your second time warp with an IV obviously.

There are a lot more 'tricks' that give minor gains like shimmerlancing but I would suggest you optimize the basics before anything else.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”