I'm at a loss on my Frost dps!

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Bearshoes

I'm at a loss on my Frost dps!

Unread postby Bearshoes Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Howdly doodly kids. I started playing frost mage this tier and I feel like I have read and watched every guide out there and I just can't figure out why I am parsing so low. There is only one other person in my guild who is a mage and I really just don't know what I am doing wrong.

Here are my logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... low/bujoji
Eldeluc

Re: I'm at a loss on my Frost dps!

Unread postby Eldeluc Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:40 pm

A few things I noticed. (Just checked Goroth hc)

- In your opener use your cooldowns (IV + Owl trinket) straight after the Ebonbolt Cast. So EB > IV + OWL > Flurry > Ice Lance.
- Use potion of prolonged power instead of potion of deadly grace. Make sure you prepot as well.
- I don't see the on use effect of your Charm of the Rising Tides. Have you been using it? I've never used this myself so maybe I'm missing something. Ideally you don't have two 'on use' trinkets since you can't use them at the same time. Do you have any other trinkets?
- Do you have any other Legendary than Norgannon's?
- Overall your gear is lacking. You should try to get 2piece tier 19 from the Nighthold raid asap. Even when they are of lower itemlevel than your current pieces!! Preferrably the shoulders and legs since they don't have mastery. So you will be using 2piece tier 19 and 4piece t20.
- If you want to compare different gear sets, raidbots.com is an easy way to do so.

I don't see any glaring mistakes in your rotation so the biggest improvement would come from better itemisation. Do all the available content to get upgrades asap!
Bearshoes

Unread postby Bearshoes Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 pm

A few things I noticed. (Just checked Goroth hc)

- In your opener use your cooldowns (IV + Owl trinket) straight after the Ebonbolt Cast. So EB > IV + OWL > Flurry > Ice Lance.
- Use potion of prolonged power instead of potion of deadly grace. Make sure you prepot as well.
- I don't see the on use effect of your Charm of the Rising Tides. Have you been using it? I've never used this myself so maybe I'm missing something. Ideally you don't have two 'on use' trinkets since you can't use them at the same time. Do you have any other trinkets?
- Do you have any other Legendary than Norgannon's?
- Overall your gear is lacking. You should try to get 2piece tier 19 from the Nighthold raid asap. Even when they are of lower itemlevel than your current pieces!! Preferrably the shoulders and legs since they don't have mastery. So you will be using 2piece tier 19 and 4piece t20.
- If you want to compare different gear sets, raidbots.com is an easy way to do so.

I don't see any glaring mistakes in your rotation so the biggest improvement would come from better itemisation. Do all the available content to get upgrades asap!
-I just realized I should be using prolonged power. rip
-I recently got charm and didn't realize it was an on use
-I sim the other legendaries I have (Soul of the Archmage and Belo'virs) and they aren't any better :(
-Will do nighthold

Thanks!
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Only thing I'd comment on about using the Owl trinket is it's not off the GCD to my knowledge. So you'd potentially lose the shatter of ebonbolt if you try and cast it with your IV. IV is off the GCD so you can use it at as the end of your Ebon is happening and be ok, the Owl trinket is what I'm unsure about.

Also try not to use IL for movement if you can help it. Looking at the same Heroic Goroth kill, you casted 49 ILs but had the chance for 51 total shatter ILs (32 FoF procs + 19 BF procs). Make sure you use IL after every Flurry and make sure to avoid situations where you might much FoF charges by already being at 3 and casting Frozen orb. Also you have shimmer and the boots, try and work on your positioning so you don't have to cast non shatter ILs just to move. Either bank FoF charges for upcoming movement or position yourself better in advance to be able to shimmer and still keep casting.

Looking over your crit at 30% some of these low dmg ILs may just be ones that didn't shatter but were properly casted ILs. It's hard to tell from the way the logs break it down. Your crit percentage was 91% on IL which means either you casted the ILs at the right times but they didn't shatter or you had to use an IL cast for movement without a proc. You'd have to tell us if you recall doing that.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”