subtilities between Kindling/Meteor and FP/UM??

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Waddell

subtilities between Kindling/Meteor and FP/UM??

Unread postby Waddell Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi guys,

First of all, I am an Arcane mage trying to make the switch to fire (just waiting to get my bracer) so still learning the fire job !

If I look at the parses of Dylemma, I am having a couple of isues with his kindling and meteor choices...

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... metric=dps

He is using Meteor/UM on Harj but kindling/FP on Mistress which, I thought, was almost the same kind of fight (AOE).

Could someone explain me the subtilities of Kindling/Meteor and maybe flame patch/unstable magic please ?

(I know the difference, I've read about every guide out there, I really need the subtilities of the fights please)

thank you very much !
Andrestes

Re: subtilities between Kindling/Meteor and FP/UM??

Unread postby Andrestes Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:29 am

I'm not an expert and I've only been pugging lately, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. In my experience, the adds on Harj tend to be pretty spread out and don't have a ton of health. In contrast, the adds on Mistress tend to stay grouped up and have a decent amount of health.

Meteor/UM are your single target talents, but have the added benefit of creating large ignites which can spread to adds. Kindling's going to give you more combustions and FP is good for adds that are fairly stationary and will live for at least 8 seconds.

My guess is for Harj, he's mainly targeting the boss and having that ignite spread to the adds. On Mistress, he's trying for as many combustions as possible, holding it until the adds are out and their tank is keeping the adds pretty stationary when possible for maximum FP damage. Just my 2 cents.
Syana

Unread postby Syana Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Flame patch vs UM, essentially the adds on Harjatan don't live long enough to take advantage of the FP damage, I usually think of this fight as almost pure ST. Mistress on the other hand, those adds are almost constantly up, which means FP pretty much gets to do its full amount of damage.

Another reason for his choice in talents has to do with fight lengths. We can safely assume that with kindling, combustion has around a 1m30s cooldown and If you fully want to take advantage of this the fight length should ideally be just under 2 minutes or longer than 3 minutes. Otherwise kindling is essentially not having a talent, since it is there to grant you extra combustions. Unless you use it to hit certain combustion timings on a boss.

His Harjatan kill is 2m44s, which means that regardless if he is running kindling or not he will get 2 combustions out of that fight.
And if you look at one of his Harjatan logs where he ran kindling, you notice that he didn't get full use out of the last one as the fight length was 2m55s. Which is most likely why he swapped over to running Meteor.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/vJ ... ity=190319
Waddell

Unread postby Waddell Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:34 pm

oh.. wow.. thank you for both great response.. I never thought to look at fights that way...

Thank you very much guys.. now, if I can get that damned fire bracer!!! :)

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”