[Fire] Question on Sassz'ine logs

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Razyl

[Fire] Question on Sassz'ine logs

Unread postby Razyl Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Dear fire mages, here a comparison between one of my last raids and another player :

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/co ... analytical

I am Razyl (on the left) and the other fire mage is the top parsers in the ilvl bracket with similar raid conditions. He has the same spec and more or less the same gear.

I have a questions I cannot find an answer to, after a detailed analysis of the logs: why his pyroblasts deal a 30% more damage on average the mines?

For the rest, I believe that the difference in dps is mostly due to the above point and the much larger number of flame patch hits he got with respect to me (probably his raid had better control of adds, or simply less aoe dps hence his patch had time to hit more).

Thanks to whoever is able to help me with this analysis
Syana

Re: [Fire] Question on Sassz'ine logs

Unread postby Syana Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:49 pm

There isn't really a good metric that illustrates what I believe is the difference, however the one below shows signs of it.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/co ... lity=11366

If you think of every major spike of damage as a crit from a hardcast pyroblast you can see that he crit a larger amount of them, leading to the difference in averages. Another thing might be that he crit his hardcasted pyros while having 5 stacks of Pyretic Incantation.
Katsumi

Re: [Fire] Question on Sassz'ine logs

Unread postby Katsumi Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:37 pm

This is a very interesting log. In addition to what Syana said, I believe there are a few more curiosities involved.

Even though your fight times are somewhat comparable, you crit a lot more than he does (72,4% vs. 51,3%). However, he does get a total of seven more pyroblasts off, which is a lot. He also seems to use his bracer procs faster than you do, his uptime is much lower (27,79% vs. 45,44%) than yours even though your procs are comparable (17 vs. 18).

The high damage of the pyroblasts, as Syana pointed out, can be explained by longer streaks of Pyretic Incantation (he has the same uptime of around 65%, but with only around 85% of your total procs), a lot of RNG with hardcast crits and an overlap with five stacks of Incanter's Flow.

However, you seem to be making other mistakes. You're scorching excessively before the execute phase and you're not targeting low adds with it either (34% crit rate pre 3:30). You're also using Dragon's breath, but without getting a lot of DPS out of it. The same goes for CiS considering the amount of time you spend casting it. Finally, the difference in DPS is not due to the difference in pyroblasts nor to the number of flame strikes cast, but because you're not gearing appropriately. He runs almost double the amount of mastery than you have, resulting in more than double the amount of damage done via ignite. Although it's certainly debatable how much cleave you should bring, this largely explains the difference in DPS.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”