Need DPS Help!

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
logan14051

Need DPS Help!

Unread postby logan14051 Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 am

Mod Edit: Moved to Q&A
Log link (My usual 20% or so parse): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PM ... &source=15

My armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... ggan/magey

My sim: https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/ ... fXkfd8ck86

Hello fellow Frost Mages!! I am here in need of dps help! I have read the guide for thermal void and usually follow it as perfectly as I can. I try to maximize my shatter, and use all of my spells to the best of my ability. Even when I do this, on a single target no movement (such as a dummy) I only pull 900K, when, according to my sim, I should be pulling 1.2M. As you can also see by the parse that I have, I am nowhere near to where I should be with my damage. I realize that I am 3% short of the shatter cap, and I am currently working to get that up.

I am looking for any help that I can get, but I think it's mostly my rotation that is messed up.

Thanks all!!
Xinder

Re: Need DPS Help!

Unread postby Xinder Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Ok. You're casting WAAAAYYY too many icelances. You had 89 total chances to shatter an IL but casted 111 Icelances. Position yourself better in anticipation of movement or save some FoF charges when you know you may have movement coming up. You're using Ice Floes which is fine, but if you can save procs of FoF charges when you know movement is coming up you can save the ice floes charges for when you have no procs but want to keep casting and move. Also imo learn to use shimmer. I used to use icefloes all the time and eventually bit the bullet and learned how to optimize shimmer. It's a learning process for sure and I sucked ass while learning it but I think it's superior to Ice Floes.

I know you're not at the shatter cap but even at 30% crit you should have a higher crit % on your ebonbolt casts. Make sure you're following your ebonbolt cast with the free BF proc flurry that you get. Flurry travels faster than Ebon and your ebon will shatter.

You also didn't pre-pot or pot at all during the fight. Also get your other ring enchanted and enchant the neck. You also will want to get the Sentinel Medallion from Sisters if at all possible.

I went back to your Goroth Heroic kill from the 6th of September to see if I could analyze any more of your rotation given the low movement and single target nature of the boss. Your IL casts vs how many BF+FoF procs you had matches up which is a good sign there. Not sure why the KJ fight had so many more of them other than you not having Ice floes charges and using them to move(which is why I said to have more care and try not to do that so much). On the Goroth kill you didn't shatter your ebonbolt once and you casted blizzard. Never ever cast blizzard on a ST fight. Just because you have the instant cast blizzard doesn't mean it's free. It still uses the GCD when you use the instant cast blizzard which means it's 1.5s you aren't able to start casting your next actual dmg spell. It also does shit dmg on ST. Now on KJ you are fine to cast blizzard when the 3 reflections are up assuming you guys stack them on KJ to burn them down. That's a perfect use of the instant cast blizzard you get from frozen orb.

That's what I found. Work on those things and see if it helps. If it still doesn't you can use this thread to post a new log of you trying the new things and we can see if there's anything else. Also preferably link a more ST fight like Goroth to review since KJ has all that downtime and a bunch of movement. It will help to find the rotational gaps.
logan14051

Re: Need DPS Help!

Unread postby logan14051 Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm

We raid fresh heroic tonight so I'll try it out and link logs

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”