Feedback on my mage / stats etc

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Paigey

Feedback on my mage / stats etc

Unread postby Paigey Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:56 pm

I've been a Mage since Pandaria and love this class so much. I started off as Arcane for dungeons and Frost for raids in Legion. What I would like to know is if I am on the right path as far as my stats go for my Frost spec. I've not been very lucky in regards to Legendaries yet but I am determined.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... /beautevil

I've read these forums and the wow mage forum and have become even more informed. I think I am going in the right direction but would like second or third opinions on you great mages here. At this point I am focused on building up my vers since I am at shatter cap (maybe a little over) and lowering mastery to bring up haste too.

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any suggestions on gear where I can boost up that vers without losing too much of the other stats (of course I'll be simming these results).
music49

Re: Feedback on my mage / stats etc

Unread postby music49 Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Just from what I've been reading up on, and seeing, is that your crit is right where it should be, but you should be switching a lot of that mastery to haste. At least for the thermal Void build. I don't know the exact percentages you want

I personally main fire and use the glacial spike build when I switch so I don't have to have a different set of gear, not very good at sustained but those lucky big juicy crit make it worth it for me
Paigey

Unread postby Paigey Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Just from what I've been reading up on, and seeing, is that your crit is right where it should be, but you should be switching a lot of that mastery to haste. At least for the thermal Void build. I don't know the exact percentages you want
Thank you for your feedback, its what I was thinking too but haven't had much luck finding gear with crit/haste or haste/vers its always mastery and something else. :)
music49

Unread postby music49 Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:57 pm

You can always try Glacial Spike build while you farm haste gear, those big glacier spikes can hit pretty hard
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Your stat weights on armory look perfectly fine. The 33% shatter cap helps but if you had to drop to 31% crit to gain a bunch more haste and vers it likely would be worth it, so just keep that in mind. Simming yourself is going to be the way to get your stat weights, but I'd suspect with where you are it's going to say haste is now your top stat with probably vers behind it. If you have a log to link that can help sort out if your rotation is going well and if there's room for improvement. Armory doesn't tell us those types of things.
Paigey

Unread postby Paigey Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:27 pm

If you have a log to link that can help sort out if your rotation is going well and if there's room for improvement. Armory doesn't tell us those types of things.
Sure. Here's are logs last week in Normal TOS take your pick on which one you want to look through. Appreciate any advice you can give so I can get better.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/C4 ... 9G#fight=1

My Mage is Beautevil.
Xinder

Unread postby Xinder Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Ok. I checked your Goroth normal kill and overall it looks ok. You only had 60 procs that could give you a shatter IL yet you casted 69 ILs. I'm guessing they were maybe for movement or when the procs of FoF were flowing in and you hit it one too many times so a non shatter IL casted. You're running shimmer, so try and avoid casting a non shatter IL to move and instead work on positioning to be able to shimmer out of danger and keep casting. You didn't cast shimmer once on that fight and you have to move to at least hide from the infernal burning so you should be able to shimmer to safety. Since you have the belt, make sure you're not casting blizzard on ST until you reach the max 5 stacks of the belt buff. Only then is it a DPS gain. You may already be doing that, I just wanted to make sure to mention it. Other than that the rest looks fine and as you get better legendaries for frost that should help your dps rise.
Paigey

Unread postby Paigey Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks very much for looking at the logs I do tend to get unlucky with BF/FOF procs and it's aggravating :D but I keep going cause I love this class and spec. Thanks for the comments on shimmer and the belt I will make sure to improve on those and make no casting blizz without 5 stacks. Happy Maging!
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:23 am

You can always try Glacial Spike build while you farm haste gear, those big glacier spikes can hit pretty hard
Spike build is trash after rework, it's playable in normal/heroic though (as everything else because... who cares lol).

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”