The struggles of a new frost mage

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Kittiez

The struggles of a new frost mage

Unread postby Kittiez Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi guys, I've been playing Arcane since Nighthold and switched to Frost as it's the better performing spec, so I'm still learning (was previously a healer main for many expansions).
I've been struggling on my damage, doing far less than what I should be according to sims and I'm frustrated and haven't been able to pinpoint what it is that I'm doing wrong.

Here's tonights logs, I'm Kittiez:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jamyd12TZnRQKk4p

And here's my armory:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... on/kittiez

Also, my crit on the armory is below cap, I eat crit food to bring myself to shatter cap.
I switched to Arctic Gale on Mistress (which is what we spent most of the night working on), otherwise it was set to Unstable Magic.
I toyed around with glacial spike and thermal void throughout the night settlings on TV towards the end. in either case, talents aren't causing the problems as the problem is somewhere in my rotation. Sims say I should be around 1.35Mil DPS and I'm struggling to pull 1Mil, even on a target dummy. My burst reaches 2mil, but the longer the fight the lower my dps gets, usually settling around 1.05Mil dps.

I make sure that I FB -> BF -> IL when BF procs, and try to burn every FoF proc as they come, unless IV is coming up in which case I save minimum 2.
Thanks in advanced.
Jezrien

Re: The struggles of a new frost mage

Unread postby Jezrien Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:30 am

Glacial spike is a controversial talent atm. I wouldn't recommend to play GS especially if you have low mastery numbers
Next. You never shatter ebonbolt which must have 100% crit hits. Ebonbolt > Flurry all the time. Even though you don't play around chain reaction but your uptime is a bit low (sometimes you have around 50% but it should be 70-80+) which means sometimes you miss fb shatter combo. It might be due to munching BF procs.
Also you have way more opportunities to cast shatter lances than you do. For example, during the Host fight you have 56 lance casts from 72 possible (37BF + 35FoF). Probably it's because you save some FoF "for better future", which means if BF proc in such situations you don't cast lance after fb>flurry. Also it can be because BF and FoF proc at the same time but even if you have it 10 times you still shatter lances less than you could.
Your opener is wrong too. Use preport at 4.5 and start precasting ebonbolt at 4-3.8 of pulltimer. Then goes flurry (with BF from ebonbolt) > Veins > lance > orb. And if you preport yourself before the pull you can use it once again with BL+Veins.
Kittiez

Unread postby Kittiez Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 am

Host was a pretty bad fight to judge on due to some issues that night but no worries.
I'm staying away from GS now, although I had 80% mastery during that fight :O
I moved some gear around and I'm down to 39% now.
Thanks for pointing out the ebonbolt problem, what I was doing was Ebonbolt -> frostbolt -> flurry -> ice lance, which now that you point that out I see why that's wrong.
In the event where I get back to back procs on BF and FoF (normally when frost orb is out) I've been Frostbolt -> flurry -> ice lance, I'm definitely missing out on FoF procs this way, is this what you're referring to?
Shouldn't I veins before flurry on the opener? (immediately after ebonbolt)
And yes I know how double pot works.
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:52 am

You can do veins before flurry but it has a chance to fail ebonbolt shatter so it's up to you. If you are confident - do it. After I noticed that several times my ebonbolt didn't crit and switched to a 100% version.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”