what spec should i play?

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Celbrise

what spec should i play?

Unread postby Celbrise Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:35 am

getting back into my mage tomorrow but im lost on what spec i should main. im probably going to practice arena's and RBG's for next expansion and some mythic+ as well but not so much raiding this expansion my guild isn't really raiding atm but we will be next expansion which im fine with.

Fire- played it during EN and found it fun; really not a fan of there sword artifact weapon though and for some reason im not so good at AoEing with fire compared to frost. idk why.

Frost- i find it extremely dull to play. in pvP it is fun and pretty easy for me to stay alive more due to all the slows. i like how there artifact weapon looks. ST i find is really good i have no issues with ST but in AoE i almost always get discourged because my AoE is so low.

Arcane- haven't played it since cata. feels mostly the same imo burn/conserve phase. might have it more bad in PvP if i need to spam AE to build Arcane power though. don't like being in melee range in general.

any help is appreciated. i am mainly looking to push a lot of high mythic+ keys, hopefully decent rating for arena but also for RBG's, and mythic raiding next expansion. just want to focus on 1 spec currently though if it helps i am a belf.
Jezrien

Re: what spec should i play?

Unread postby Jezrien Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:58 am

Who knows what mages will look like in the next expansion. If your goal is a result in a cost of enjoyment then check what spec people use in high m+ and high rbg ratings. Imo fire is better than frost due to more AoE dps and if you can't play it then you should learn through guides, videos/streams. Can't tell anything about PvP since I've seen people play all 3 specs at 2k+ mmr.
Celbrise

Unread postby Celbrise Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 pm

yea they all seem pretty good in mythic+ depending on the affixes and i know all 3 are good in pvp.

i narrowed it down to fire and frost still having trouble deciding though. think i will just flip a coin at this point and learn from scratch
Foolosophy

Unread postby Foolosophy Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:46 am

As fire AoE, Bellular gaming had a macro / tips&tricks video on YouTube this week. There he had a macro that helps tremendously with fire AoE. It makes your AoE spell cast without a click on the ground. Which helps a lot for me.

Next to that, pick the highest hp target and work from there by getting procs and stuff.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”