Questions galore!

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Stallari

Questions galore!

Unread postby Stallari Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:05 pm

I have recently returned to raiding after a looooong time.
I read that Frost mage is the best spec for Mage with t21, so I leveled as that.
My ilvl is 930, and SimC says that I should be able to pull around 1.2mil dps. I am able to hit 1.1ish on a dummy and nowhere near that in actual raid.
We did some heroic Antorus tonight and I just was not pulling the numbers I had seen previously.

I was wondering if there is any specific rotation I should be doing? Or any gear that I should be focusing on?

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... s/stallari That is my armory link.

Please help me out!
Jezrien

Re: Questions galore!

Unread postby Jezrien Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:12 am

First of all, frost mage depends on procs. Which means you can have pretty good logs even without such requirements like 4t21+2t20 + good legendaries set + good stat values. But all those things make it easier to reach desired dps. Following your armory you have none of it: no 2t20, no 4t21 and no even 4t20, bad legendaries, low haste. Ofc it's not like your fault because this mage is fresh but still.

You have wrong opener. Do it like: prepot at 4 seconds of timer, right after it start casting ebonbolt then veins > flurry > lance > orb. If you notice that your ebonbolt doesn't crit (it hits the target faster than flurry) then change veins and flurry: ebonbolt > flurry > veins > lance > orb. The idea is to shatter EB and lance with winter's chill debuff from flurry.
Do NOT use Blizzard on single target. Never.
EB crit rate must be 100%. Seems like you don't shatter it all the time.
Low chain reaction (<60%) is a sign you ignore shattering FB too. The combo is FB>flurry>lance and it's important not because of chain reaction but critical FBs reduce Veins' cooldown as well.
Low crit rate of Ice Lance is possible only if you abuse casting "empty" (without FoF and BF) lances. Such thing is a pure dps loss.
Do not munch procs. Flurry cast count must be equal to BF proc count. If you have less Flurry than BF it means you munch it, if you have more Flurry than BF it means you hard cast it.
Stallari

Unread postby Stallari Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:20 am

Yeah I had a feeling that gear was a issue, it may say that I have 930ilvl but none of the gear is actually amazing.

Wait, how do I shatter FB/EB on bosses?
So I never wanted to hard cast Flurry? And I never want to Ice Lance without FoF?
What do you mean by Chain Reaction?

Damn, seems I know nothing about mage at all! Thank you so much for all of this info btw!
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:48 am

You shatter FB and EB because of Winter's Chill debuff you apply on the target after casting instant Flurry (when Brain Freeze procs). It has short window to hit the target with a couple more spells and thanks to winter's chill your target behaves like being frozen to those spells. So, shattering FB or EB looks like this: you have BF proc, you cast FB and then immediately right after you cast Flurry and Ice Lance, Same with EB.
There is absolutely no reason to hard cast Flurry. And yes you never cast Ice Lance without FoF or BF even if you have legendary bracers.
Chain reaction is a buff (via artifact trait) you gain when FB critically hits. It doesn't have the highest priority but if you don't fail with FB>flurry combo you will have 70-75% uptime.

Things look like this: if BF procs and you don't have any FoFs you always shatter FB. For example:
1. you cast FB.
2. BF procs.
3. You start another FB.
4. You cast Flurry
5. You cast Lance.
6. If after 2nd FB you gained another BF proc - repeat.

If you have some FoFs during this period then you do it like this:
1. You cast FB
2. BF procs
3. FoF(s) procs
4. You cast another FB
5. Flurry
6. Ice Lance.
7. If BF procs again then - repeat.
8. If BF doesn't proc you look at do you still have FoFs or not.
9. If yes you just spam Lances until all FoFs gone.
10. If there are no FoFs then just start casting FB again.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”