Why Am I Bad

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Ginnga

Why Am I Bad

Unread postby Ginnga Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:09 am

Has the frost rotation changed ? Ever since Ant my dps feels alot lower especially compared to other mages i just got my 4 piece tonight but it hasnt changed much the only thing i can think of is my rotation is fucked somehow.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/chara ... low/ginngg

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/rLzY2TBKdD8gXGvZ
Jezrien

Re: Why Am I Bad

Unread postby Jezrien Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 am

Having 2t20 is pretty nice (helm + gloves/cloak is the best combination).

Goroth.
To have splitting ice is not a mistake but frozen touch would be better in terms of dps "procs".
You have trumendously low bracers uptime due to losing so many possible Lance casts. Seems like you didn't just munch 1 BF proc but a lot of FoF too. If you have 2 FoFs and you cast FB and it's still 2 and even 3 you immediately should dump all stacks to prevent it from munching and/or overlapping with BF. Plus you don't cast lance after flurry. The combo looks like this: fb > Flurry (ofc only when BF proc is available) > Lance. Also when you already have BF proc you cast 2 FBs in a row which might lead to munching it. FB>BF procs>FB>Flurry>Lance - that's how you should do. Ebonbolt 50% crit rate which means you either don't EB>Flurry>lance or you do it very slow so EB doesn't hit in the Winter's Chill debuff by Flurry.
Your opener is wrong too. Prepot, precast EB > Veins > Flurry > Lance > Owl > Orb. Correct me if I'm worng but the Owl trinket has GCD, so I don't recommend to use it somewhere in the middle of the combo because you probably will fail it. Or! If for some reason you can't press the buttons fast enough to perform shatter combo at the beginning so EB doesn't crit just swap Veins and Flurry (EB>Flurry>Veins>Lance...). Btw you can press Veins and Flurry at the same time (Veins don't have GCD). It needs some practice, so do it on the dummy.
You better sync Veins with BL. Since you have the ring you can do it whenever Veins is off CD. Usually it looks like this: your personal BL + Veins + Orb + 2nd potion. You can do it better by having good timing of Incanter's Flow, bracers and Chain reaction stacks but I can't say it's must have thing. Which means you don't delay your second burst opportunity just because you can't get any of those stacks to max.

I bet such things happen on other bosses, so I won't repeat, just want to set you right on talents choice.
Felhounds: LW-Shimmer-IF-FT(SI)-?-UM-TV
High Command: LW-Shimmer-IF-SI-?-AG-TV
Portal Keeper: LW-Shimmer-IF-SI-?-UM (if you go in portals and can't AoE adds a lot) or AG (if you stay on the boss platform)-TV. SI for default choice because it's better not to forget, you may not have time to AoE imps but usually you should be able to cleave others.
Eonar: LW-Shimmer-IF-SI-?-AG-TV
Imonar: LW-Shimmer-IF-FT-?-UM-TV
Kingaroth: LW-Shimmer-IF-FT (if adds don't leave that long so they can even survive the construction phase) or SI (if they can and you can cleave them for a while)-?-UM or AG (similar to FT/SI choice)-TV
Varimathras: LW-Ice Flows-IF-FT-?-UM-TV
Coven: LW-Shimmer-IF-SI-RoF or IW-AG (if tanks keep bosses at the minimum distance you can constantly Blizzard them)-TV
Aggramar: LW-Shimmer-IF-SI-RoF (with it mages can be useful with CC)-UM-TV.
Argus: LW-Shimmer-IF-SI-?-UM or AG (useful only on the 3d phase and if tanks move stack 2 melee adds with some who keep casting)-TV.

"?" means the coice is irrelevant.
Even if some encounters can be done with FT (like pure single target Varimathras, Garothi etc) picking SI for any type of the fight is ok. Also the choice between UM and AG depends not only on boss itself but how your raid deals with it. For example, you can keep Felhounds near each other for some period of time before splitting them into pure ST fight type.
House

Unread postby House Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 am

Yes, Jezrien brought up a lot of good points and did highlight the big issue but I don't think he put quite enough emphasis on it.

you're not consuming flurry procs correctly.

Huge and fundamental part of frost mages, when you get a flurry proc you consume it by casting a frostbolt, finishing that cast by using the flurry proc and then immediately casting an Ice Lance.

Flurry makes the target act as if it were frozen, which means your spells will crit (if at the shatter cap) if they hit the target in a short window following a flurry cast.

If you start correctly consuming your flurry procs you will notice a huge increase in damage.
icetea666

Unread postby icetea666 Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:49 am

I don't want to open another topic so i will ask here.Why do you guys go with AG on high command?
I know it's not wrong,i just didn't see any dps increase over UM so far.Maybe i am doing something wrong but casting instant Blizzard, only when orb is up, did the best results so far.Just for the sake of lowering FO cd i guess.

Can this be simmed anyhow?
Jezrien

Unread postby Jezrien Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:18 pm

You should cast Blizzard asap when it can hit 2+ targets. Blizzard becomes better than UM not just with its utility (FO cd reduction) but damage too.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”