Trying fire in need of help to improve DPS.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Xolan

Trying fire in need of help to improve DPS.

Unread postby Xolan Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:44 pm

I played frost for the majority of the expansion but seeing a lot of good parses from fire mages so I wanted to give it a go. Its fun and I really want to be as best I can at it I feel something is off with my rotation or gear/talents? and as a result dps is lower than I would expect. I currently have all utility leggos and bis fire leggos. I've simmed and it says I should be doing a lot better (1.4 m)

Armory
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/ysera/bofh

Log
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PR97z3B4DM8jAC1t

Characer is Bofh.

Many thanks for whatever assistance you can provide me with.
Xolan

Re: Trying fire in need of help to improve DPS.

Unread postby Xolan Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Still looking for some assistance, let me know if there's anything missing from my post and I will gladly update with necessary info.
Bluemanmage

Unread postby Bluemanmage Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Here are a few things I noticed when I looked at your normal Felhounds kill:

-mirror images is pretty weak, use incanter's flow
-never cast 2 fire blasts back to back, only use fire blasts to convert heating up into hot streak
-during combustion you want to avoid hardcasting anything (other than a bracer proc), combustion is where you want to use all of your instant casts
-you cast scorch WAY too much, try to position yourself better and utilize blink, casting scorch outside of <30% with the belt should literally be a last resort

Overall it looks like you just need a bit of practice with the whole heating up->hot steak mechanic, which is understandable since you said you're new to fire. Similar to how frost's bread and butter is Frostbolt>Flurry>Ice Lance, fire's is Fireball>Fire Blast (while fireball is casting)>Pyro
Xolan

Unread postby Xolan Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. I have switch IF and have begun more practice with the rotation and realized I was munching procs quite often (its difficult not to ) but I guess I still have frost rotation on the brain. Anyway I was basing my research on this guide by EZ is this out of date now? he says to use MI
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4453
Bluemanmage

Unread postby Bluemanmage Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Well your best bet when deciding which talents/legendaries is just sim your character. Raidbots.com makes it really simple and that will tell what talents and gear will give you the highest dps. For most mages right now RoP is likely simming the highest, but it can be difficult to use so that's why I'd suggest just going with IF for now until you get more comfortable with your combustion rotation.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”