When do I cast Phoenix's Flames outside of Combustion?

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Aesear

When do I cast Phoenix's Flames outside of Combustion?

Unread postby Aesear Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Hey,

I was using a couple tools to look at my logs and realized that I leave Phoenix's Flames not on cooldown a lot (~40% of the time). I know how to do the combustion rotation and atm is the only time I use it.

My normal rotation is fireball until heating up, fire blast during the next fireball's cast, then an instant pyro as the fireball travels. Where do I put in the extra phoenix's flames? Icy Veins has its priority above the instant pyro while it has 2 charges, but is that right? It would I be doing a phoenix's flame with hot streak already up then casting the pyro?

Appreciate it guys!
Rouze

Re: When do I cast Phoenix's Flames outside of Combustion?

Unread postby Rouze Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Depending on how close I am to my next combustion, I look to spend a charge of PF when I'm about 30 seconds away from capping at 3 stacks. (Watch out for the procc that reduces PF cooldown by a flat amount of time.)
I try to use it when I have no heating up and no hotstreak buff, preferably during a concordance procc or any other procc.
Usually I cast it just after a Fireball, so if the Fireball crits I get a hot streak, and if it doesn't I can spend a Fire Blast to get one.
Bluemanmage

Re: When do I cast Phoenix's Flames outside of Combustion?

Unread postby Bluemanmage Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:25 am

You could also use them whenever you need to reposition. Say something spawns a few yards away that you need to soak (too close to blink to it), you can throw out a PF and use that global to move.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”