Arcane Mage rotation and problems

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
latrasa

Arcane Mage rotation and problems

Unread postby latrasa Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Hello my fellow mages :) .
Since Antorus I have been playing arcane mage and I feel like I'm not doing things the best way.
Im a bit confused when to reset my charges with arcane barrage and when i shouldn't.
Im pretty new to sims but they definitely affirm my concern.

This is the link to some sims:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/T348FmNKDtdxkjA1

I know my legendaries are not the best but I feel like im doing something wrong.

Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have the legendary ring from argus kill quest and the leggy boots in my bags for any possible swaps
gurudox

Re: Arcane Mage rotation and problems

Unread postby gurudox Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 pm

As a general rule, you're only casting barrage when you're below ~50% mana and you've hit 4 stacks of Arcane Charge. The whole idea is to keep your mana just high enough that you can complete a full burn phase when your cooldowns come up without going OOM.

Assuming you understand when to cast Arcane Missiles so that you don't waste procs, a general fight duration would go something like this:

1. Opener (Pop CDs) ->
2. Burn to Zero mana ->
3. Evocate ->
4. Burn to 50% mana ->
5. Barrage to reset stacks - >
6. Sustain rotation (4x AB -> Barrage) until cooldowns come back up ->
8. Repeat

This is a basic outline, and depending on your mastery, you may be able to maintain your sustain rotation at a lower mana %, so just play with it a bit to figure out what works for you.

If you find yourself in a mana pickle, you may need to cast barrage more frequently than every 4 stacks - but this most likely means you're losing DPS. In that case, you may want to start your sustain earlier than 50% mana (though, I find that going OOM usually means you're doing your rotation a little incorrectly, since there is *so much* mastery on all of our tier gear that it shouldn't be an issue).

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”