returning mage - need some help

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Veltana

returning mage - need some help

Unread postby Veltana Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Hi guys, lemme introduce myself, im Veltana, mage in the Tarren Mill server, ive been playing mage as main for almost a decade now and i absolutely love the class inside and out and always find myself back to my mage.

Now, ive had a little break (just before 7.2 launched) and got back a few weeks ago.

Ive been leveling up my mage a bit and got the t21 4set now(NM) and got myself to around ilvl 950.
Ive always been a fire mage whole legion and i love to play it, used to do alot of dps and ended up somewhere in the top 100 for my server as mage on wowprogress iirc for 7.1

So, now im back, and my dps is absolute horseshit... and im getting rather tired of it.... heres the deal...

I think with my fire on ST i hit just below 100, on fights with aoe i outshine, but as u know there aint many aoe fights in antorus.
My legendaries are not the best, i got KJ/head/koralon as best for my fire. they not the best i know, my rng has been shiiiiit (still need 4 more leggos for fire n dont got shard or marqee), which didnt seem to ever been a problem before :/

Now, i tried other specs, frost, arcane, both grand me a bit of the same problems, for arcane i got the bis leggo ring and on ST i can hit above 100k (think 106 is best so far on first boss even)

Now, the thing is, i get kicked out of eeeeverything because of my lack on dps, this has been going on for weeks, if its not the first boss of antorus on, yes, normal mode, its after the second. (yes, on normal mode). Am i doing something terribly wrong or whats up here?

on fire i can get stats varying between:
crit : 45-53%
haste 24-27%
mastery 20-27%
Vers 4-8%

SP: 55 to 63k

im pretty much on my end here and just frustrated overall that i went from quite ok before to... this :/ so i thought id put a shoutout here and maybe someone can grand me some info. Maybe my stats are just not ok for the moment, or the legendaries are too important now?
All by all im tired i cant even do half of antorus raid without getting kicked, its not that im being a lazy player -.-

all by all, tnx for the read and replies that may come o/
Frantik

Re: returning mage - need some help

Unread postby Frantik Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 pm

With the increased number of essences now just gather 1000 and try to get yourself the bracers.
Have a look at the guides around these forums.

You seem to be using wrong set of talents.
Stop using ROP(unless you re very good at it) it is too tricky to play, go with IF.
Also kindling is the go to for most fights in this tier together with Firestarter.
Stop using LB except maybe at Eonar and go with Unstable magic on ST and Flame patch when there are adds

Otherwise not much to say. Since you played 7.1 there's not a ton of changes until now.
You can also use wow analyzer to check your logs and get some tips from there for example https://wowanalyzer.com/report/FGcw4zJB ... 3)/Veltana
Veltana

Re: returning mage - need some help

Unread postby Veltana Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm

hey, tnx for the reply, yesterday i ended up searching more info about mages and ended up on youtube lol. Apparently i was idd rolling with the wrong traits and ive made some changes, i think ill stay with RoP for now since ive always worked with it, but ill try the other one as well, and see what works best since the rotation seems a bit different for me so far ive learned. Now theres a burn phase and, as i read much here, a very poor sustain, so will figure this out a bit more. Did a dungeon this morning with these new traits as "st fire" and hitted pretty high on my meter and was kind of suprised.

Oh i got 1k essences this morning and got a new legendary, the shoulders xd the rng gods hate me xD only 3 left i need is pyrotex (which im rly curious about now) marqee and shard :D

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”