Mages in RBGs

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Enimonemo

Mages in RBGs

Unread postby Enimonemo Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello!
I wanted to start a discussuon about mages in PvP, specifically RBGs.
What is a mages role in an RBG?
Why is Arcane the go-to spec? AoE wise its sub-par to Fire due to range limitations and ST it’s weaker compared to Frosts Glacial Spike combo.
Do you focus more on CC, AoE Damage or aim for key targets, such as healers, flag carries, flankers.

Personally, I much prefer Frost in PvP and I aim to kill key targets with powerful ST combos with BF proc, Glacial Spike and talented Frozen Orb. The combo provides quite a lot of CC too, in the form of a stun, AoE slow and occasional roots due to the chill effect.

On a different topic, do Arcane mages take Mass Invisibility? Is it a tactical move or just a minor nuisance for your and the enemy team?

All replies are welcome regarding the topic of mages in RBGs!
Wraithwan

Re: Mages in RBGs

Unread postby Wraithwan Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:48 am

I mean...I also prefer Frost for the same reasons you do. I'm curious to the answer between Arcane vs Frost in RBG
nirdana

Re: Mages in RBGs

Unread postby nirdana Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 am

As a mage you will probably never do more damage than shadow priest or warlock, but you have the burst that is needed. As an arcane mage, especially in ctf maps, you want high mobility and high burst without the need of casting too much. That's exactly what arcane offer. Cast slow, mass invis, mark of aluneth gain charges and burst. No chance to be interrupted. In other BGs you do quite good AoE with your explosions with oppurtunity to burst someone with 3 charges of missiles.
I would say for the ctf BGs arcane is the better pick, but for other maps, play what you like. Also temple of Kotmogu... displacement is just awesome :)
)

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”