Question about most recent Beta build

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
diab802

Question about most recent Beta build

Unread postby diab802 Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:46 am

Talents
Resonance: Arcane Barrage deals 10% increased damage per target it hits, down from 15% increased damage.
Reverberate: If Arcane Explosion hits at least 3 targets, it has a 40% chance to generate an extra Arcane Charge, down from a 50% chance to generate an extra Arcane Charge.
Touch of the Magi: Now accumulates 15% of the damage you deal to the target for 8 seconds, down from 20%.

Fire
Fire Mage: Damage and healing penalty for all abilities increased from -5% to -16%.
Flamestrike: Damage decreased by 9.1%.

Frost
Frost Mage: Damage and healing penalty for all abilities increased from -18% to -24%.
Frozen Orb: Damage increased by 15%.

What does it mean by "Damage and healing penalty for all abilities increased"? Does it mean they nerfed Fire by 11% and Frost by 6%?
Julia

Re: Question about most recent Beta build

Unread postby Julia Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:03 am

What does it mean by "Damage and healing penalty for all abilities increased"? Does it mean they nerfed Fire by 11% and Frost by 6%?
yes and no.

Fire and frost already had a damage penalty, that damage penality got increased by 11% and 6%
They use this kind of tuning to make a class that works good on a rotational basis fall in line with the other classes. Currently these nerfs were made since Fire was looking like a massively overpowered spec in prepatch when abusing bracers and pyroclasm as bracers alone did up to 18% of the mage's damage and frost was dominating on beta so was overal already in a more than excellent spot. These aura nerfs makes it so they are still ontop but no longer as insane as before, so nothing to worry about.

In regards to the no side of things.
Since they already had a damage penality the actual nerf is bigger than 11% and 6%, allow me to show you by using frost as example:
Frost was doing -18% damage, meaning for every 100 damage their normal rotation did, they now did 82 damage. This 82 damage got scaled down to 76 damage. This is a 6% nerf on the 100 damage but a 7,3% nerf on the 82 damage since 82 would be the new 100% of frost's damage and not the unmodified damage.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :) I hope this cleared up a few things and I can't stress how this isn't something to worry over right now.
diab802

Re: Question about most recent Beta build

Unread postby diab802 Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:11 pm

yes and no.

Fire and frost already had a damage penalty, that damage penality got increased by 11% and 6%
They use this kind of tuning to make a class that works good on a rotational basis fall in line with the other classes. Currently these nerfs were made since Fire was looking like a massively overpowered spec in prepatch when abusing bracers and pyroclasm as bracers alone did up to 18% of the mage's damage and frost was dominating on beta so was overal already in a more than excellent spot. These aura nerfs makes it so they are still ontop but no longer as insane as before, so nothing to worry about.

In regards to the no side of things.
Since they already had a damage penality the actual nerf is bigger than 11% and 6%, allow me to show you by using frost as example:
Frost was doing -18% damage, meaning for every 100 damage their normal rotation did, they now did 82 damage. This 82 damage got scaled down to 76 damage. This is a 6% nerf on the 100 damt a 7,age bu3% nerf on the 82 damage since 82 would be the new 100% of frost's damage and not the unmodified damage.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :) I hope this cleared up a few things and I can't stress how this isn't something to worry over right now.
Thank you for the thorough response. I understand fully now, I was not worried, I just didn't understand the aura thing. Thanks!

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”