[Frost] DPS Help for Raids, have logs

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Kerboom

[Frost] DPS Help for Raids, have logs

Unread postby Kerboom Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello!

I keep parsing grey for raids and don't know what I can do differently.
I usually save frozen orb/comet storm for when an add spawns but not sure if that is effective.

WoWAnalyzer:
https://wowanalyzer.com/report/W3VnFtJQKRXxPh9T
(I don't understand here where it says I'm not utilizing Glacial spike, I use it whenever I have 5 icicles.)

WoWLogs:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/W3VnFtJQKRXxPh9T

I'd really appreciate anyone taking the time to take a look and give me some advice.
This is the first time I've ever played a ranged class in WoW.
Kerboom

Re: [Frost] DPS Help for Raids, have logs

Unread postby Kerboom Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 pm

So I figured the "glacial optimization" was saving a BF flurry to cast right after glacial spike, to increase the crit.
I tested it with a dummy a lot and I crit much more on it (average of about 33%) but the logs I'm seeing most people are around 85% crit on glacial spike.
At that point is it just down to luck?
Enimonemo

Unread postby Enimonemo Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:01 pm

I suggest you read in your spellbook what Shatter does, and think through how it works. You are obviously doing something VERY wrong. Also, check how far you are to the boss, if you are standing too close, Flurry won't reach the boss before Glacial Spike does, which results in a failed combo of course. After that, don't forget to cast your Ice Lance as well!
Kerboom

Unread postby Kerboom Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks for the response, however, I have read and understood what shatter does.

I now have the shatter spike combo working just fine; I have to start pressing the flurry keybind about 1s left on the GS cast.
Any less and it won't work, with this change I now crit GS about 85% reliably.
Huggle

Unread postby Huggle Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:20 pm

On taloc,

your opener is far from ideal.

Opener sequence: pre-pot > pre-cast frost bolt > icy veins > orb > comet storm

After your opener you will ALWAYS hold your flurry proc until you have 5 icicles so you can shatter glacial spike with the flurry, and then instantly cast ice lance after glacial to shatter the ice lance as well.

It seems like you're getting to 5 icicles and then simply casting glacial spike without a flurry proc which is never, ever going to be a good choice.

Even if it means spamming frostbolts to fish for that flurry proc, that is what is going to help your dps.

Also, don't be using ebonbolt on CD or as a prepull spell. The sole reason to use ebonbolt is to fish for a flurry for when you have your flurry+glacial combo. Ebonbolt is never going to be used for it's damage, and in a perfect world you will never cast ebonbolt during a fight.

Also, on Zek and Zul make sure your always using Blizzard when there is more than 2 adds to ensure getting orb off CD as soon as possible.
Make sure also that you're ALWAYS shattering your comet storm with your pet nova - this sequence is: comet storm > pet nova right away before comet storm hits that way most hits will shatter.

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”