[Fire] Why is my DPS so bad? (Logs included)

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Peakz

[Fire] Why is my DPS so bad? (Logs included)

Unread postby Peakz Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:41 pm

Log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/ ... #boss=2335
Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... r%C3%B3gen

The usual question.

So I just killed Shad and my DPS was terrible. My DPS always tends to be around this mark of 30k recently which is way below my sim'd DPS as well as other similar parses.

If someone could take a look and suggest any improvements that'd be great.

Many thanks!
Karrypto

Re: [Fire] Why is my DPS so bad? (Logs included)

Unread postby Karrypto Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:34 am

Hey,
after the first glance I think there are a few different areas that you could improve.

Mainly they are:

- Talents
- Playstyle
- Gear

Talents

What I saw initially is that you used Living Bomb on Shad'har, which is kind of wasted since there are no adds to cleave on for a significant amount of time. In single target situations Conflagration always pulls away. Even on some more add-heavy fights like Vexiona, Conflagration seems to perform better.
If you're unsure what talents/essences/trinkets to use on which fight, you might want to check Warcraftlogs rankings. You can filter these acc. to difficulty and ilvl range.

Playstyle

I think right now you can gain the most dps if you focus on stacking as much damage during your Combustion as possible.
Don't know if you're already familiar with it but I use Wowanalyzer. These are all your current fights in Wowanalyzer
You can browse through that at your own leisure and find many areas to work on, but be mindfull not to be overwhelmed.
The best way is to take one thing at a time to work on. Wowanalyzer also has a section for most used talents/essences/trinkets/azerite traits per fight.

Gear

Enchant your gear!

Right now I'm at work so I cannot dive in fully. I would love to continue when I'm back home.
It would be fantastic If you could provide a simc input of your current gear or a link to a raidbots sim you have containing one.

Sorry for being so broad but I hope the first few links help a bit. I'll try to be more specific in the evening :D
Peakz

Unread postby Peakz Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:02 pm

Thank you for your reply!

That's a good point you made with my choice of talents, Living Bomb was pretty useless on that fight.

As for my playstyle, thank you for that incredibly useful website! Just opened Wowanalyzer and it's looking pretty helpeful.

Here's a link to a recent sim: https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/ ... dD721L1haT
Karrypto

Unread postby Karrypto Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:54 am

As I see it now, the stuff I mentioned above seems to be mostly it. If you follow these tips you should perform better eventually.

If you have any specific questions in the future you can also contact me ingame under Karrypto#2614 if you want.
Peakz

Unread postby Peakz Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Thanks again for your help!
MdI

Unread postby MdI Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi there,

I'm posting in this thread because it seems I'm having quite a similar problem. On Raidbots, my char sims pretty high but my performance "in the field" is really, really bad.

I have to add that I switched from Frost to Fire just a few days ago and most certainly need more time to adjust, but nevertheless my DPS is way off (especially compared to my Frost logs).

If I get Wowanalyzer correctly (what a great site btw.!!!), all the basic stuff (gear, talents, azerite) seems fine and it's just my playstyle which sucks. To be honest, I spend quite some time gearing my fire mage and setting everything up - and now I'm really, really frustrated about my bad performance.

After yesterday's raid our other fire mage told me that it would be pointless to switch to fire without having Hyperthread Wristwraps (which I don't). Is that true? I feel kind of stuck now because I don't know what to do (just practise and practise and practise fire or go back to frost until I have Hyperthread Wristwraps or...whatever).

I would be thankful for any insights you guys have and I won't to apologzie for my bad English.
ohfox

Unread postby ohfox Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:50 pm

1) warcraftlogs are most helpful if anyone is going to help you analyze what you may be doing wrong.

2) hyperthreads are an integral part of doing maximum damage during your combustion phase, which is an important part of being a fire mage. should you give up on fire? no. Simply head over to mechagon workshop and do as many mythics as possible. Mythic 0 - 15, any level difficulty, you will receive 430+ wrists eventually and will be a major upgrade as a fire mage.

3) check out the fire mage combustion visual from Altered-Time discord, available in pins #questions channel:
(also available on the 8.3 fire guide here on this site.. I just had an issue seeing it while at work - internet doesn't allow certain image hosting sites apparently)

https://imgur.com/a/aM5wqgg

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”