Frost Mage

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
Solaih

Frost Mage

Unread postby Solaih Sat May 31, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi,

I know I have a few issues. Mainly the fact I have no tier gear. I think my uptime for IE and LB is mostly decent but I'm not sure what to do in terms of reforging. Currently I'm geared for the 14242 Haste Cap and then Mastery for the rest but after looking into it I could actually make it to the 18960 Haste Cap should I make some changes; I would drop a lot of Int and SP though and I doubt it'll be better.

Basically, beyond getting the 2pc bonus I'm at a loss in terms of how I should gear for reforges and enchants. Do I stay at the 14242 Haste Cap or push further or am I just gimped from lack of tier gear?

Today's Log: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6aHg9KZrfW4FX1jt" target="_blank
More logs with Normal kills: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/pGc ... y&source=6" target="_blank

Armoury: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... aih/simple" target="_blank

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Niphyr

Re: Frost Mage

Unread postby Niphyr Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:21 am

The 14242 cap is fine for your gear level, a weapon & 2pcT16 should be your first priority looking at gear, and of course a normal PBoI.

As far as encounters go, from your logs it looks like you just need something to help you track your buffs/procs/cooldowns a bit better. Also while Presence of Mind is theoretically a dps increase, in practice Blazing Speed is often better, allowing you to quickly get into position. Especially when you have no or few procs up so no instants to get full dps from. Most of this analysis is around your CD usage & uptimes.

Galakras
  • Bad - Frost armor uptime only 4.5% going by logs? Be sure to double check you always have it
  • Bad - 8:30 fight, you can afford to be popping your 3 minute CDs more often (3 times total). You only used AT once and it wasn't with IV/potion. Potion only once as well.
  • Bad - Looks like your water ele was hardly up that fight. Maybe 5-10% of it? Huge dps loss.
  • Minor - You cast evocation 30 times? Hopefully just between add waves.
  • Good - Same number of FFB as BF procs
  • Good - 100% Invoker's Energy uptime
Iron Juggernaut
  • Bad - Frost armor uptime only 27% going by logs? Be sure to double check you always have it
  • Bad - No AT used on the pull, quite a big dps loss
  • Minor - 34 brain freeze procs but 37 Frostfire bolts - are you hard casting the extras?
  • Minor - 32 FoF procs, 33 Ice Lance cast - not a big deal but still one more than you should unless you're dumping icicles on the knockback
  • Good - Used MI/IV/Potion twice and together
  • Good - 100% Invoker's Energy uptime
Dark Shamans
  • Bad - No second AT with your other 3min CDs, nor a second potion.
  • Bad - No water elemental at all?
  • Minor - 23 BF procs but only 20 FFB
  • Minor - If your guild/groups strats is tanking them together, take NT instead of LB
  • Minor - If you're going to take PoM at least use it more than once
  • Good - Used MI/IV used twice
  • Good - 99% Invoker's Energy uptime
Garrosh
  • Bad - No third AT with your other 3min CDs, nor a second potion.
  • Bad - No water elemental for the first portion of the fight
  • Minor - 69 BF procs but only 63 FFB
  • Minor - If you're going to take PoM at least use it more than once
  • Good - Used MI/IV used three times, AT twice with IV.
  • Good - 99% Invoker's Energy uptime
Summary
  • Bad - Keep frost armor up 100% of the time. It's probably dropping when you change talents/glyphs, just be sure to reapply it
  • Bad - Keep your water elemental up 100% of the time. Welly is a nice free and easy dps boost
  • Bad - Be sure to hit all your 3 minute CDs basically each time they're ready (some fights you'll save them for particular times if the delay isn't too long). This includes your second potion and AT.
  • Minor - Try to cast AT when you have trinket procs, BF/FoF procs and IV up. This will give you more IV time and some free procs that hit big thanks to trinkets
  • Minor - Once you're more comfortable with the encounters, take Greater Invis instead of Cauterize. You can remove many of debuffs in SoO with it, and its damage reduction is a nice way to sometimes soak things you shouldn't, or avoid death without stressing the healers.
  • Good - Good Invoker's Energy uptime!
  • Good - Good Frost Orb usage as well
  • Good - Good bomb uptime on all fights, 95%+
Last edited by Niphyr on Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:29 am

Not sure if the Frost Armor uptime thing is accurate on WCG. I think sometimes the uptime isn't recorded properly unless you apply it in combat, or some mob attacked you, since there's no duration on it.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Niphyr

Unread postby Niphyr Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:30 am

Yeah I was just looking at my logs and mine weren't showing up 100% either. I'll edit my post. Learn something new every day!
Solaih

Unread postby Solaih Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Summary
  • Bad - Keep frost armor up 100% of the time. It's probably dropping when you change talents/glyphs, just be sure to reapply it
  • Bad - Keep your water elemental up 100% of the time. Welly is a nice free and easy dps boost
  • Bad - Be sure to hit all your 3 minute CDs basically each time they're ready (some fights you'll save them for particular times if the delay isn't too long). This includes your second potion and AT.
  • Minor - Try to cast AT when you have trinket procs, BF/FoF procs and IV up. This will give you more IV time and some free procs that hit big thanks to trinkets
  • Minor - Once you're more comfortable with the encounters, take Greater Invis instead of Cauterize. You can remove many of debuffs in SoO with it, and its damage reduction is a nice way to sometimes soak things you shouldn't, or avoid death without stressing the healers.
  • Good - Good Invoker's Energy uptime!
  • Good - Good Frost Orb usage as well
  • Good - Good bomb uptime on all fights, 95%+
Thanks for taking the time to do this I really appreciate it. I can't find the function for multi-quoting but I've read subsequent replies and I have to say I don't think my Frost Armor dropped. Equally, I wonder if WCL may have the same bugs for Water Elemental as I can't recall losing that either?

I will definitely make more use of my 3min CDs. I hold onto them with the intent of using them towards the end of the fight but as you point out they're 8:30mins long so I should be using them more frequently. Additionally, is it worth keeping AT to use alongside my 3min CDs in the hope I'll catch the trinket/FoF/BF procs too?

Interesting point about PoM and Greater Invis, I'll definitely looking into those. Thanks again!
Niphyr

Unread postby Niphyr Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do this I really appreciate it. I can't find the function for multi-quoting but I've read subsequent replies and I have to say I don't think my Frost Armor dropped. Equally, I wonder if WCL may have the same bugs for Water Elemental as I can't recall losing that either?

Yeah I think it's certainly got an issue with frost armor as mentioned above. I haven't had water ele logs bug on me, a few times it's come up as another friendly player on world of logs though. Your shamans kill in particular is strange, I can't see ANY damage the entire fight from water elementals frost bolt. Perhaps just a log glitch!
I will definitely make more use of my 3min CDs. I hold onto them with the intent of using them towards the end of the fight but as you point out they're 8:30mins long so I should be using them more frequently. Additionally, is it worth keeping AT to use alongside my 3min CDs in the hope I'll catch the trinket/FoF/BF procs too?

Interesting point about PoM and Greater Invis, I'll definitely looking into those. Thanks again!
The 3 min CDs with potions do make a huge difference, capturing the IV/trinket procs with AT and any fof/bf procs you can as well. If I don't have trinket procs I'll often delay AT until a BF/FoF proc, and see if a trinket comes up... but not delayed so long as I lose hero or IV time.

[edit] Here is a log of when I had decent trinket procs and manage to capture them both times my 3 min CDs were up (heroic garrosh progression):
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MF1 ... e&fight=17
I came 4th on that, with around 430k dps when we wiped after 7 minutes.

Here is one with terrible procs and/or bad play on my behalf:
http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MF1 ... e&fight=15
That fight was almost 7 minutes as well, only 380k dps and like 14th.

The talents will be a lot about personal preference, if you use blazing speed often it can be extremely helpful especially dealing with mechanics / survival. Likewise for greater invis has lots of utility (talking HM):
  • Immerseus - You can invis the dot he applies (Swelling Corruption), as well as invis to soak the Sha Pool if it gets too large without taking too much damage. Can also invis Swirl if blink isn't up or you don't want to risk it bugging in some spots.
  • Norushen - You can invis the blind hatred beam to save moving all the way around.
  • Protectors - Nothing too fun here, you can invis off the garrote debuff and shadow word bane
  • Galakras - You can invis the fire debuff in final phase to drop stacks
  • Juggernaut - You can invis to soak a mine, and save yourself on shock pulse if healers don't top you up
  • Shamans - Only thing worth invising here really is the Iron Prison debuff if you aren't topped up for it
  • Nazgrim - Invis off bonecracker if needed to survive
  • Malkorok - Can invis displaced energy during blood rage, save needing to be dispelled. Only do this if you're not stacked up (most guilds don't stack in HM). You can also invis with blazing speed / rocket boots to clear orbs during blood rage. You can also invis the smashes if you can't get out for some reason, like adds slowing you.
  • Spoils - You can invis the bombs rather than having to drop them, just hit it right before the timer runs out
  • Thok - You can invis off the corrosive blood debuff letting you get more dps on the boss (most guilds require you stack during this phase for mass dispel). You can also invis if he's about to chop you and you're out of speed boosts for some reason but he'll spin around and possible kill someone so be careful.
  • Siegecrafter - You can invis the fire debuff if you get it, and you can invis as he casts sawblades at you, and the sawblade will never be thrown. May take some practice on the timing though
  • Paragons - if you invis when Aim is cast on you, he won't finish the cast so noone needs to soak. You'll still get the snare/stun though. You may be able to invis mesmerise, I don't recall as I haven't had it on me for weeks.
  • Garrosh - Only thing I've found invising here is empowered whirling, especially if you're away from healers.. and in transition (heart rooms) if you miss the buff to avoid dying in HM.
... on another note we should really have some kind of sticky or something with this stuff in it!

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”