What to go for after hotfix.

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
JohnQ

What to go for after hotfix.

Unread postby JohnQ Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 pm

Hello, I am wondering what would be a good spec to go for after the hotfix. It feels that I'm pretty lost atm. It feels that fire is getting nerfed soon enough aswell. Arcane seems pretty descent though I am currently geared as frost but now after the hotfix I'm wondering which spec to go and what would be wise to pick since I do have to obtain new pieces of gear for either fire or arcane.
Komma
Administrator

Re: What to go for after hotfix.

Unread postby Komma Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:09 pm

Frost is just fine. You shouldn't feel pressure to respec.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
JohnQ

Unread postby JohnQ Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Yeah you're probably right but according to the sims, fire and arcane is pulling away from frost a bit and I just thought that it would be better to go for another spec now before I get more gear as frost.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:19 pm

Yeah you're probably right but according to the sims, fire and arcane is pulling away from frost a bit and I just thought that it would be better to go for another spec now before I get more gear as frost.
Not in Highmaul gear they aren't.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Emerys

Unread postby Emerys Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 pm

People seem to take too much stock into sims without realizing that sims take in account BiS gear which I doubt many if any have currently.

I personally believe that at the moment frost is still very much the spec to play, considering the high amount of movement required in Highmaul especially in Mythic. And while I personally am starting to get tired of having to juggle my water ele (we're not warlocks people! Let them keep their pets! :D ) I'll stick to frost for the time being considering most of my gear is multistrike oriented and I've grown used to performing decently.

I am looking forward to shooting balls of fire once again soon :D
JohnQ

Unread postby JohnQ Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:29 pm

hehe thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll stick to frost for now, atleast until blackrock foundry opens and some tier items start to drop. Maybe then I'll take fire or arcane into consideration. :)
Kasc

Unread postby Kasc Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:30 am

Based on the movement I've experienced so far on Mythic Kargath + Twins, and knowing the other fights from heroic, in my opinion Frost is going to be the main progression spec for most.

Fire could be good on Tectus, but only if you're willing to swap gems/enchants.

Method mages are playing Frost right now, as are a lot of mages in top guilds. We'll have to see if that continues once they get gear which would be better for the other specs
Emerys

Unread postby Emerys Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:45 am

Yeah I tried Fire on Tectus HC last night did about 28k dps but I've also made a lot of mistakes as I was unfamiliar a bit with the playstyle (got too used to frost). That was in frost gear and enchants.
JohnQ

Unread postby JohnQ Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:27 pm

Ahh I see, yeah frost still seems to be a strong spec to go for progress. I would think that it's the best before you start getting tier pieces.
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:17 pm

Frost is definately equal to arcane, and it depends on personal preference and the boss you're progressing on. I'm personally going to be doing most of mythic as frost, if not all. Perhaps I'll swap to arcane for butcher, but right now he's on a 4 minute (bugged?) enrage timer and needs 500k raid DPS to beat the enrage.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”