Fire Macro Help

Ask questions about your mage spec, talents, build, gear, or seek advice on logs encounters here! All requests to help DPS will be relocated here.
fayona

Fire Macro Help

Unread postby fayona Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:21 am

Soooo, I'm wondering with some of these high movement fights I can have a single macro that would do the following:

Cast fireball if standing still
If running, cast ice floes then fireball
if no ice floes available, cast scorch.

Possible? Useful?
Rinoa
Administrator

Re: Fire Macro Help

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:23 am

I'm quite sure that's not possible, as macros can't check the state of things in the game like that. Not on the same button anyway.
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
fayona

Unread postby fayona Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 am

Well I wasn't certain, as someone on another forum recently posted this macro that will check against your geographic location and select the correct mount -- nagrand or your favorite mount. Also another whether flying or ground is possible. Seemed pretty clever, so I wondered what the macro limits were.

/run SetMapToCurrentZone() local f,g,c,s="FLYING MOUNT HERE","GROUND MOUNT HERE",GetCurrentMapContinent() s=(IsFlyableArea() and c>-1 and c<7) and f or g CastSpellByName(s) SetMacroSpell(GetRunningMacro(),s)

/run local m,f="Argent Charger","Flameward Hippogryph";if GetCurrentMapContinent()==7 then if GetZoneText()=="Nagrand" then m="Garrison Ability" end elseif IsFlyableArea() then m=f end CastSpellByName(m)
Hendrikto

Unread postby Hendrikto Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:42 am

Nope, not possible.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:35 am

Soooo, I'm wondering with some of these high movement fights I can have a single macro that would do the following:

Cast fireball if standing still
If running, cast ice floes then fireball
if no ice floes available, cast scorch.

Possible? Useful?
Not possible and not useful.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
Rinoa
Administrator

Unread postby Rinoa Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:47 am

It would be useful to him/her, which is why they asked. :p
Twitter
Armory

Issues with a moderator or moderating action? Send me a PM.
fayona

Unread postby fayona Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:53 am

Indeed, thanks.

I actually got close with some of the tips from howtopriest's castsequence macros:

#showtooltip Fireball
/castsequence [nochanneling] reset=target Ice Floes, Fireball, Scorch
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()

Because Fireball will not cast while moving, it sort of overrides itself by default and hops to scorch. There's quite a bit of castsequence finessing that's out there in terms of resets and timing, but most of it is greek to me. Too buggy to use IMHO, but from what I've been reading it doesn't seem impossible.
Wilderness

Unread postby Wilderness Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:41 am

"Useful?" implies a question - so I responded.

You may get some hacky way to kind of do that like you posted, but its silly - all of that just to remove 2 things off your bars and make one of the simplest spec rotations take even less thought and simply spam that one button instead of having to make a decision as to hit scorch or IF when you have to move?

If someone is that concerned about it then just always use scorch when you move and take another talent besides IF. Sure, its less dps to use scorch instead of IF+Fireball, but no one concerned about their dps is using a castsequence macro.
Ashamanxx || <Good Talk> || 13/13M
fayona

Unread postby fayona Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:13 am

Ok. so disregard the question of useful, I was not expecting to get categorized as an individual that is "not concerned" about dps as a result of asking a question in the help section. I am stepping back into wow after a lengthy break and struggling to manage the myriad of expectations in raiding. While I'm having fun doing it, I have used a few weak auras and macros to simplify a few things I'm forgetting while I get my sea legs in new content. Also, I, like many people who play wow, have a disability that can make some functions difficult under certain factors while in group. I find it hard to believe that people would actually take the time to research coding and ASK for help if they WEREN'T trying to increase their dps. Especially when they're looking to pair two similar spells and a parallel talent, rather than posting asking for a 12-step, one button spam macro. That said, if you're comfortable with your assumptions and logical leaps, I'm comfortable with mine.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:16 am

This is a thread about making a macro thread and has served its purpose. Unfortunately, making a macro that chooses the spell for you isn't quite possible. Locking it now.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!

Return to “Post Questions & Ask for Help >>Here!<<”