6.0 Raid Mechanics and how to block em

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
skiz

6.0 Raid Mechanics and how to block em

Unread postby skiz Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:39 am

Please post your findings here regarding any use of mage mechanics that you discover during the course of an encounter. This can include both offense and defensive cooldowns, as well as, specing ideas for certain mechanics, clever uses of game mechanics, individual strategies used, or any other mechanical information found during the process of a fight which may enable other mages to perform better. E.g. Which ability can be blocked / Invised / Evanesced?

I would appreciate all information discovered to be tested and validated. If you find that one of the stated mechanics is either correct or incorrect, please post to let me know so that I can update the thread. I will try to post an indication of those mechanics that are confirmed.

BRF
On beta it was possible to dispell everything with greater invis / block. Not sure about live. Haven't played with mage yet. So it is basically an empty list. ;)

Gruul
- GInvis removes Inferno Slice debuff.

Oregorger
- Block / Immunities / GI can be used to soak the first hit of Acid-Torrent. Same with evanesce / Deterance.

Beastlord Darmac

Flamebender Ka'rgaz
- Evanesce works on Molten Torrent. As usual: do not cast.
- Greater Invis should work on Molten Torrent. Still 160k hit on heroic.

Hans'gar and Franzok

Operator Thogar

The Blast Furnace
- Combustion acts weird under 99% dmg reduce. Mostly it gets wrecked.

Kromog
- Evanesce blocks knockup (I think?)
- Can blink after knockup but you need invis/block to not die from AOE
- AT/GI combo works pretty well for every knockup on Kromog.

The Iron Maidens
- Ice Block and Invis both remove Penetrating Shot (Straight red line)
- Not sure about invis on rapid fire (the fixate), it may just run off in the same way as Siegecrafter lasers

Blackhand
- Invis removes Marked for Death. Resulting in no impale cast at all, if timed decently, e.g. just before debuff expires.
- Ice Block / GI / Evanesce (or BoP) works for Marked for Death impact damage, e.g. run ontop of Blackhand. You'll get the dot ticking for 50k and stacking. It is not possible to dispell this dot.

Highmaul below
Spoiler:
Kargath Bladefist
- Bladerush targets one of the three further targets. Iceblock into BoP allows you to "kite" for the fullduration. Without BoP blinking after Iceblock is possible, but requires decent timing.

Brackenspore
- Greater Invis/Ice Block can both remove Infesting Spores. Infesting Spores has a 50 sec CD and is roughly delayed by 5 to 10 seconds. Amplify magic can be used every other cast, if you want to delay it slightly on every use. Recommended : every 3. Cast.
- Blinking through waves works.
- Glyph of Counterspell is good for interrupting Spore Shooters.
- You're able to stack flamethrower buffs and burst afterwards. Fixing dps requirements.

Twin Ogron
- Using Greater Invis + Ice Block liberally against Blaze stacks and Pulverize helps a lot.
- You can "dispell" yourself the charge Debuff with Iceblock or Greater Invis.
- Dodging fire behind one of these axes is a lot easier.
- Roughly 1:20 between Quakes. It should be possible to use Amplify Magic every other cast.

Tectus
- Invisibility does not work on Crystalline Barrage. It will keep chasing you. Ice Block + Blink also doesn't work because Barrage will damage/kill you before you Blink.
- BoP works against Crystalline Barrage. Evanesce should work, too.

Ko'ragh

- Mage Armor will lead to your Fire debuff expiring earlier than others
- Can Greater Invis when Expel Magic: Frost is cast on you, prevents the spell from being casted. Cast time is ~1 sec so you need to be prepared and react quickly.
- Greater Invis removes Expel Magic Fire but not shadow (not fel I think?). Ice Block removes everything. Fire still explodes when removed. Fire is applied roughly every 90 seconds.
- Alter Time helps with soaking center. If you're not soaking, Flameglow is an option for reducing Fire damage by a little.

Butcher
- There's the infamous "two mage soak" strategy, where you alternate blinking and using Greater Invis to soak all cleaves. Blessing of Protections makes you immun to charge, too.
- Alter Time is pretty good for healing yourself after he charges you.
- Flameglow is incredibly good for reducing bleed damage from dot, recommended if you're inside a camp.
- Ice Floes to prevent spell interruption from the knockback. You'll still get interrupted if you're channeling.
- Since it's a 4 min fight, delay the second usage of 2 min clickable trinkets to sync up with 3 Min CDs/Prismatic Crystal.
- Greater Invisibility and Ice Block do not remove the bleed from the cleave.
- Evanesce blocks Explosion from Adds, but does not block slow / ticks from voidzones.

Mar'gok:
- PC gets Dominance Aura from Goblin Warmages during Transition. This has no effect on the damage dealt / received from PC.
- Ice flows recommended due to high movement.
- Iceblock / Greater Invis prevents damage from Arcane Wrath. Evanesce works, as long as you're not casting when it expires.thanks, komma
- Destructive ressonance has an "arming time" and is applied on cast end.
- You're able to blink through Force Nova. With glyph you're able to blink through all 3 Novas in p3.
thanks, allysonna
- You're able to use Evanescence against Force Novas. On replicated Novas you do not damage other players.

P4
This part is a little bit more detailed. This wall of text roughly handels obvious parts, skip if not necessary.
List of abilities: Link to Mmochampion in short..
Not listed: http://www.wowhead.com/spell=176537" target="_blank which just indicates who is targeted.
Not relevant: Edge of the Void.

That phase is a soft enrage. With increasing "raid"-dmg due to Enveloping Night / Glimpse of Madness.

1 Glimpse of Madness spawns every 30 seconds. Soaking the "Gaze" cast results in ~430k dmg over 20 seconds with 4 hits (you'll have 4 stacks - 1 cast / 5 sec). Letting the debuff run out is 280k dmg. Getting stacks is a bit more deadly, then letting them drop.

You'll get 2 Glimpse of Madness before each Enveloping Night. One Enveloping Night per minute, first one roughly 1 minute after Chogall is there. Third Enveloping Night does 600k dmg, you'll die from that one, roughly 3 minutes after chogall appears. No gaze cast after Enveloping Night for roughly 10 seconds, it may still be possible to get 1 hit of "Gaze" at the same time (Would like to see logs about this one).

If you do soak glimpses, I would recommend having a big cooldown for the second Enveloping Night. If not, accumulated absorb from "Infinite Darkness" is enough to be save. Having one spare big cooldown for third Enveloping Night may be usefull.

- It may be possible to block "Infinite Darkness", not sure about effects. Not recommended.
- Evanesce works on Gaze, Dark Star and Enveloping Night. Do not to cast during Evanesce. thanks, komma.
- Ice block cancels http://www.wowhead.com/spell=176537" target="_blank but you'll still get the hits, immune hits. Furthermore, it dispells all of your current "Gaze" stacks resulting in the usual small explosion.
- Greater Invis breaks from Gaze hits, you'll get hit even if you're invis. It does reduce the damage of these hits.
- Greater Invis / Iceblock work both against Enveloping Night.
Last edited by skiz on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:25 am, edited 21 times in total.
Komma
Administrator

Re: 6.0 Raid Mechanics and how to block em

Unread postby Komma Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:53 am

- Ice Floes to prevent spell interruption from the knockback. You'll still get interrupted if you're channeling.
I noticed this as well with AM :( .
- Evanesce should not work against Arcane Wrath.
Pretty sure it does work, as long as you're not casting when it expires.

Casting:
01:29:23.116 Komma gains Evanesce from Komma
01:29:23.650 Komma begins casting Arcane Blast
01:29:24.124 Environment's Branded: Displacement fades from Komma
01:29:24.125 Komma's Evanesce fades from Komma
01:29:24.145 Imperator Mar'gok Arcane Wrath Komma 216122 (O: 2817)
Not casting:
01:43:33.238 Komma gains Evanesce from Komma
01:43:34.726 Environment's Branded: Displacement fades from Komma
01:43:36.246 Komma's Evanesce fades from Komma
Log: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wK ... iew=events" target="_blank

Do you know if Evanesce works on Gaze or other mechanics during Cho'gall phase?
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Dutchmagoz
Administrator

Unread postby Dutchmagoz Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:10 pm

Evanesce works on gaze as long as you're facing the clone when its applied. Not very practical.

This isn't very mage specific, but hand of protection makes you immune for the charge on butcher, so if you hit enrage that's a huge thing.
Owner of Altered Time.

Twitch - Twitter - Arcane Guide (AT) - Arcane Guide (IV) - Fire Guide

For any issues with a moderator or the website, send me a PM!
Allysonna

Unread postby Allysonna Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:49 pm

for Imperator Mar'gok:

For Phase 3, the http://www.wowhead.com/spell=146659 will allow you to quickly blink thru two of the the Force Novas that are cast together. You can either Invis or Ice Block the third.
skiz

Unread postby skiz Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:09 am

for Imperator Mar'gok:

For Phase 3, the http://www.wowhead.com/spell=146659 will allow you to quickly blink thru two of the the Force Novas that are cast together. You can either Invis or Ice Block the third.
It is possible to blink to all 3 novas. Cooldown gets ready again. Blinking into Tank debuff range is possible on ~first nova.

Anyway, depending on your arcane wrath tactic, wasting all charges of blink for nova, may be the wrong way.
ps2dude756

Unread postby ps2dude756 Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:59 am

Great thread. Was just looking for something like this.
Evanesce works, as long as you're not casting when it expires.
Is this the intended functionality of Evanesce, or the result of a bug?
Iceblock / Greater Invis works against Arcane Wrath.
When you say "works," do you mean it just prevents all the damage, or actually stops the debuff from jumping to another player? In other words, does removing a debuff still count as it "expiring?"
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:04 am

Evanesce works, as long as you're not casting when it expires.
Is this the intended functionality of Evanesce, or the result of a bug?
I think it's a bug.
When you say "works," do you mean it just prevents all the damage, or actually stops the debuff from jumping to another player? In other words, does removing a debuff still count as it "expiring?"
It only prevents the damage.
Admin of Altered Time.

Novox

Unread postby Novox Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:13 am

On Mar'gok, Evanescence works with every Force Nova. On replicated novas you don't AoE so you can stay on top of another player just tunneling boss/adds.
skiz

Unread postby skiz Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:14 am

bump for 6.1. Basically, I would like to have some input. :)
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:58 am

Kromog:
Evanesce blocks knockup (I think?)
Can blink after knockup but you need invis/block to not die from AOE

Maidens:
Ice Block and Invis both remove Penetrating Shot (Straight red line)
Do not invis rapid fire (the fixate), it'll just run off in the same way as Siegecrafter lasers

Blackhand:
Invis removes Marked for Death
Admin of Altered Time.

Novox

Unread postby Novox Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Kromog:
Evanesce blocks knockup (I think?)
Can blink after knockup but you need invis/block to not die from AOE

Maidens:
Ice Block and Invis both remove Penetrating Shot (Straight red line)
Do not invis rapid fire (the fixate), it'll just run off in the same way as Siegecrafter lasers

Blackhand:
Invis removes Marked for Death
Strange, when I used G. Inv. on Rapid Fire after the first shot, she did not shoot anything more.
Allysonna

Unread postby Allysonna Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Gruul:

If you talent into Greater Invisibility, you can use G. Invis to remove the debuff left by Gruul's Inferno Slice mechanic. Since G. Invis has a longer cool-down than Inferno Slice, you can't use it all the time. So use it whenever it becomes available.

Allysonna
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Strange, when I used G. Inv. on Rapid Fire after the first shot, she did not shoot anything more.
Odd. I got my raid bombed with it.

Blackhand: Ice Block (or BoP) soak Marked for Death, and then Greater Invis to remove the DOT. This is getting popular for raids that kill the demolishers after 2 throws, so as to avoid the demolisher spitting fire on the ground. The Mage then soaks and cleanses the 3rd throw, by running on top of Blackhand with an immunity.
Admin of Altered Time.

Garrod

Unread postby Garrod Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:28 pm

AT/GI combo works pretty well for the knockup on Kromog.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced Fire for Mythic Raiding
<Side Project> 7/7 Mythic Highmaul 5/10 Mythic Blackrock Foundry
ShaObito

Unread postby ShaObito Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:29 pm

Blackhand: Ice Block (or BoP) soak Marked for Death, and then Greater Invis to remove the DOT. This is getting popular for raids that kill the demolishers after 2 throws, so as to avoid the demolisher spitting fire on the ground. The Mage then soaks and cleanses the 3rd throw, by running on top of Blackhand with an immunity.
Do you think the gylph for iceblock would work there, instead of using GI?
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:44 pm

Do you think the gylph for iceblock would work there, instead of using GI?
No. Immunities do not remove the DOT.
Admin of Altered Time.

ps2dude756

Unread postby ps2dude756 Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:43 pm

AT/GI combo works pretty well for the knockup on Kromog.
I had good luck using Ice Block + Cold Snap, but I'll have to give this a try, since it'll be up for every knockup as opposed to Cold Snap only being available every other.
Garrod

Unread postby Garrod Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:52 pm

The timing lines up perfectly and allows you to do it for every knockup. You also don't lose any DPS from scrambling to get to a rune and can basically just keep tunneling the boss until it's time to break people out of the hands.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced Fire for Mythic Raiding
<Side Project> 7/7 Mythic Highmaul 5/10 Mythic Blackrock Foundry
Novox

Unread postby Novox Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:32 am

Is this fixed? Can't make it work right now...

EDIT: pretty sure it is fixed now.

EDIT2: Blue Post came out. Fixed, sadly. :(
Spent like 2 hours yesterday's night trying to explain to Raid Leader and officers that it wasn't working. :D
skiz

Unread postby skiz Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Is this fixed? Can't make it work right now...

EDIT: pretty sure it is fixed now.

EDIT2: Blue Post came out. Fixed, sadly. :(
Spent like 2 hours yesterday's night trying to explain to Raid Leader and officers that it wasn't working. :D
Cleaning up dot got hotfixed. Soaking throw is still possible? May still be a okayisch strat.

Return to “General Discussion”