6.1 changes

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Komma
Administrator

Re: 6.1 changes

Unread postby Komma Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:04 am

Bosses in raids and dungeons are not snarable. In CMs, set bonuses are disabled. It's hard to think of a case where the 4PC would make a big difference.
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
Laurine

Unread postby Laurine Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:00 pm

For the moment it is still 30% more frostbolt damage against unsnared targets (=bosses and everything) and +50% against snared targets.

30% more fb damage will have some interesting effects on haste & mastery, and may create a gameplay similar to 6.0 when we did not want to use ice lances procs.
zhengma

Unread postby zhengma Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:03 pm

For the moment it is still 30% more frostbolt damage against unsnared targets (=bosses and everything) and +50% against snared targets.

30% more fb damage will have some interesting effects on haste & mastery, and may create a gameplay similar to 6.0 when we did not want to use ice lances procs.
IIRC, currently the DPCT of Frostbolt is only around 60% of that of a lance w/ FoF. Even with the 30% buff and some extra haste, I doubt the DPCT of Frostbolt will be high enough for us to ignore FoF procs (and don't forget how FoF improves our mobility!)

Besides, the current Frost Mage builds that stacks multi isn't about FoF, but about BF, and the procced FFB has much higher DPCT than both of those.

And if I'm understanding this correctly, this set bonus is for 660 Warlord Season 1 gear, and the sheer ilvl of what's dropped in Heroic/Mythic BRF will easily overshadow any set bonus advantage.

However, this might be an example of PvP design messing with PvE balance: Frostbolt can be spammed much more freely in PvE, where you usually don't have to worry about the mob interrupting/silencing you.
zhengma

Unread postby zhengma Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:13 pm

IIRC, currently the DPCT of Frostbolt is only around 60% of that of a lance w/ FoF. Even with the 30% buff and some extra haste, I doubt the DPCT of Frostbolt will be high enough for us to ignore FoF procs (and don't forget how FoF improves our mobility!)

However, if we take Icicles into account, the DPCT of Frostbolt may eventually overtake, and it might even be achievable with current items. Can someone do a bit of calculation on this?

Besides, the current Frost Mage builds that stacks multi isn't about FoF, but about BF, and the procced FFB has much higher DPCT than both of those.

And if I'm understanding this correctly, this set bonus is for 660 Warlord Season 1 gear, and the sheer ilvl of what's dropped in Heroic/Mythic BRF will easily overshadow any set bonus advantage.

However, this might be an example of PvP design messing with PvE balance: Frostbolt can be spammed much more freely in PvE, where you usually don't have to worry about the mob interrupting/silencing you.
Ogo

Unread postby Ogo Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:18 pm

In the new build frost's mirror image has _not_ been nerfed, correct?
Dannemmar

Unread postby Dannemmar Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:34 pm

I don't think that Arcane/Fire will remain untouched - it may wait until they see some BRF data, but my guess is that Arcane and Fire will be brought down a bit.
I think that fire will remain a niche spec for the entire expansion. The day it will be competitive on single target it will also be out of control in multi target combat and get nerfed. They need to rework the dot spreading to balance the spec, like full damage on first two additional targets, half on 3rd and 4th or something like this.

With the the current mechanic fire is impossible to balance.
Rabona

Unread postby Rabona Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:30 am

Tier-17 4-piece bonus for Fire Mages is now approximately 0.7 procs per minute (down from 1 proc per minute).

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/3598 ... anuary-29/" target="_blank

:(
Garrod

Unread postby Garrod Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:33 am

Tier-17 4-piece bonus for Fire Mages is now approximately 0.7 procs per minute (down from 1 proc per minute).

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/3598 ... anuary-29/" target="_blank

:(
They really need to up the proc duration to like 5 seconds then. 4 seconds is too short for a proc rate like that.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced Fire for Mythic Raiding
<Side Project> 7/7 Mythic Highmaul 5/10 Mythic Blackrock Foundry
TLTeo

Unread postby TLTeo Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Eh, according to my probably awful napkin math it becomes a 7% single target increase up from 10%, bringing it in line with other set bonuses.
Ghanjo

Unread postby Ghanjo Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:54 pm

This change makes me sad:
Ice Floes: Your next Mage spell can be cast while moving. Castable while another spell is in progress and unaffected by global cooldown. Max 3 charges.
http://www.wowhead.com/news=246084/6-1- ... ebruary-3r" target="_blank
gameorg

Unread postby gameorg Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Ice Floes: Your next Mage spell can be cast while moving. Castable while another spell is in progress and unaffected by global cooldown. Max 3 charges.
portal is still a mage spell :)
yeahyeahyeahhh

Unread postby yeahyeahyeahhh Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Aww that change sucks! It was fun doing stuff like changing specs, disenchanting, etc while movign!
Trylldom

Unread postby Trylldom Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:06 pm

It's not just non-mage spells that are affected by this on PTR. Arcane Missiles, Blizzard, ring of frost, evocation, and loads more can not be channeled/cast while moving using ice floes.

This can't possibly be intended? At least not arcane missiles...
Bashlow

Unread postby Bashlow Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:16 pm

It's not just non-mage spells that are affected by this on PTR. Arcane Missiles, Blizzard, ring of frost, evocation, and loads more can not be channeled/cast while moving using ice floes.

This can't possibly be intended? At least not arcane missiles...
Maybe thats the single target dps nerf to Arcane which some ppl expected... take away even more mobility lol
Chev
Global Moderator

Unread postby Chev Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:32 pm

This isn't a Nerf, if anything they are fixing a bug in a spell which allowed you to get 2 movement casts from one charge. The side effect is that you can no longer finish your current spell on the move to prevent abuse.
Garrod

Unread postby Garrod Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:53 pm

This isn't a Nerf, if anything they are fixing a bug in a spell which allowed you to get 2 movement casts from one charge. The side effect is that you can no longer finish your current spell on the move to prevent abuse.
Yeah that's what I figured was being done. First time playing Arcane all expac on Blackhand last night I noticed I could used Ice Floes to channel AM and I could still use the charge on AB afterwards.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced Fire for Mythic Raiding
<Side Project> 7/7 Mythic Highmaul 5/10 Mythic Blackrock Foundry
gameorg

Unread postby gameorg Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:23 am

This is most likely a Fix to Ice Floes+Hearthstone or Ice Flows+Mounting and stuff like that.

Atleast thats how i interpret it, because beside the word "mage" everything remained the same.
flyinfungi

Unread postby flyinfungi Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 pm

Buff to Comet Storm on PTR. An increase of 10.35%.

Talents
Comet Storm Calls down a series of 7 icy comets on and around the target, each of which does [ 1 + 51.6% of Spell Power 1;] Frost damage, split between all enemies within 4 yards of its impact point. Mage - LvL 100 Talent. 1% of Base Mana. 40 yd range. Instant. 30 sec cooldown.

Live:
Calls down a series of 7 icy comets on and around the target, each of which does (41.25% of Spell power) Frost damage, split between all enemies within 4 yards of its impact point.
Komma
Administrator

Unread postby Komma Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:56 pm

You're misreading the change. 51.6% is just the 25% buff hotfix baked into the tooltip. The actual change is buffing it to 100% per comet.

http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=153595/comet-storm" target="_blank
Admin of Altered Time.

Have an issue with the website or moderation? Send me a PM!
TLTeo

Unread postby TLTeo Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:39 am

So they are essentially doubling Comet Storm's damage?

Return to “General Discussion”