Use of Mage spec in Progress kills

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Persapien

Use of Mage spec in Progress kills

Unread postby Persapien Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Looking at the 7 of Paragons 8 kills that have the raid set-up recorded on wowprogress so far, their mage has been fire for each one whilst some other guilds tend to have more arcane players. Makes the difference between the two specs seem comfortably small, and I may take this as an indication I can just go fire full time without taking too much criticism from guild mates :P
Chev
Global Moderator

Re: Use of Mage spec in Progress kills

Unread postby Chev Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:31 pm

I have split this into it's own topic as this is discussing what top guilds are using in their raid setup rather than the state of Mage specs as they are now.
Shangalar

Unread postby Shangalar Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:43 pm

I believe that you can go Fire over Arcane for single target fights when you get the 4-set bonus as it's a really nice boost to damage. Arcane's is as well, but you won't hurt anyone by playing Fire then. Arcane should be quite stronger on single target before set bonuses.

The difference comes from what you had before. For example, we have 2 mages in our raiding roster, I played Arcane throughout Highmaul and he played Frost. He switched to Arcane/Fire and before any set bonuses, he has a slightly stronger burst phase than me due to crit/multi, but after that he falls behind as Arcane because his Haste is dreadfully low.

But then again, I'm one of those people who write guides and does a bunch of mage stuff, but I'm a casual (far from Mythic for now) raider so I don't really know how to optimize for Mythic yet.
Frosted

Unread postby Frosted Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:20 pm

Wowprogress doesn't snapshot what was actually in on the kill. They just see what spec the classes were when it was updated. Something to keep in mind when looking at kill specs.
Persapien

Unread postby Persapien Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Yeah I have since watched the replays on Devais stream and can see the arcane play. Though some fights one is fire and one is arcane, and some choices that seem interesting to me like using RoP on Oregorger.

Return to “General Discussion”