Use of Flameglow in Blackrock Foundry

Anything mage specific not covered by any of the other subforums, like raid instance guides for mages.
Shangalar

Use of Flameglow in Blackrock Foundry

Unread postby Shangalar Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Hey all,

I'm opening this thread for a short discussion as I'm a bit hungover and don't feel like doing any math.

Do you think there might be a use for Flameglow for specific fights in Blackrock Foundry during which you continuously take damage quite more often than the cooldown of Ice Barrier allows to block?

My first thoughts were Oregorger and Kromog, but potentially even for Thogar when the Men-at-arms are up as that's the part when you take the most damage.

Bear in mind that I know nothing about these fights on Mythic difficulty, I'm still progressing through Heroic, but I have killed those bosses. Well, except Kromog, I was there for some progress, but missed the kill as I didn't feel like raiding that night.
Zombie240

Re: Use of Flameglow in Blackrock Foundry

Unread postby Zombie240 Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:40 pm

A better question may be what fights would AT be useful on, imo.

I'm not a huge fan of IB, since not only does it cost a gcd, but also doesn't provide that large of a shield. Ginvis/Block/AT can provide a much greater "heal"/dmg negation than Barrier, and if your raid has good healers the absorb proved by Barrier is somewhat negligible overall.

After going 8/10H on Tuesday, Flameglow negated 1.33mil dmg for me, and 941k for Garrod who was also using Flameglow compared to our 3rd mage using Barrier which negated 616k dmg from 13 casts.
ps2dude756

Unread postby ps2dude756 Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:14 pm

My general rule of thumb is if I can use Alter Time to cheese a certain mechanic (Thundering Blows on Kromog when combined with Ginvis) I'll use that. Then if there's some regular amount of damage I want to negate (Shatter on Gruul) I'll use Ice Barrier. For all other cases I'll use Flameglow.
Iceshatter

Unread postby Iceshatter Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:38 am

I used to be a great advocate of the Barrier, but truth to be said, Alter Time is better for huge damage, while Flameglow is a solid passive damage mitigation.
My Barrier mitigates 32.000, Flameglow 2000 per hit. I'd need to be hit 17 times a minute for Flameglow to pay for itself. Dots etc. Yeah, Flameglow is a clear DPS increase and in fights where dots are abundant, its better anyway.
GeorgesMelies

Unread postby GeorgesMelies Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Well I thought it would be interesting to use on our Beastmaster Darmac Mythic tries and first kill, since we take constant damage from Spears/Pinned down.

On our first kill:
Healing done
Flameglow 60.99% total:182.7k hits:85 avg:2,149
Healing Tonic 28.71% 86.0k
Touch of the Grave 10.29% total:30.8k hits:34 avg:906.8

To compare, another Mage was using Flameglow:
Flameglow 67.52% 250.3k 120 2,086.2
Healing Tonic 23.21% 86.1k
Leech 9.27% 34.4k 486 70.7
Nota bene: I took a lot less damage than this Mage on the entire fight, around 30%. So he takes more damage, he benefits more from Flameglow.

The two other Mages were using Ice Barrier. One did not cast it once, the other three times for a total of 114k.

However I am not really sure how Flameglow and Ice barrier interact with absorbs and bubbles of Priests/Paladin.

I am a bit disappointed :O

Better use Alter Time when there's a big moment of incoming damage. I'll try next time ;) But there is a lot of micro moves on this fight, so have to use it really carefully.
I really don't like Ice Barrier anymore though.
dreamlogic

Unread postby dreamlogic Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:44 pm

hey there wanted to share my opinion on Ice Barrier and flameglow , recently i switch from flameglow to icebarrier
since i'm old pvp player i was perfering to use somthing that i can use actively to decrease my dmg taken instand of somthing passive, since my old pvp days i knew how to squeeze 2x barrier on cds for 60k sheild

in my opinion its all depends if you can use ice barrier to his effect since if you wont cast him alot he will be useless
for example we had 21 wipes on blackhand most of them were in phase 2 where theres alot of hits for flameflow to be usefull
one of the mages had flameglow with 2.12m
other mage that had few wipes with ice barrier and switch to flameglow had 1.80
and extra mage that used flameglow had 2.21m

i used barrier for most of the wipes
i used it 108 times and it absorb 4.50m dmg

for me is the best option,if could use it as often as i want,the cons are very clear decrease of dps with the gcds but for me its way more worth it.
TLTeo

Unread postby TLTeo Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:00 pm

I've been using and liking Flameglow more and more lately.

If you spam IB and make an effort to keep it up it will definitely be better than Flameglow in terms of sheer mitigation in a lot of situations, but honestly 1) the shield isn't all that great anyway, no matter how much you try to keep it up and 2) keeping it on cooldown is a very serious dps loss, which Flameglow isn't. If i don't need to use a strong personal cooldown because of mechanics i don't see why you would go IB currently.
Glitzerbling

Unread postby Glitzerbling Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Even if ib is twice as good as fg. Id still go fg, as ib is just damn expensive in terms of lost dps.
Garrod

Unread postby Garrod Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:35 pm

I've been preferring Flameglow over IB for Mythic as the overall damage taken difference between the two doesn't seem to really be worth the lost GCD being used to cast IB. Maybe if IB wasn't on the GCD like Temporal Shield was in SoO it'd be a lot more useful.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/v ... d/advanced Fire for Mythic Raiding
<Side Project> 7/7 Mythic Highmaul 5/10 Mythic Blackrock Foundry
TLTeo

Unread postby TLTeo Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:00 pm

Temporal Shield when you think of it was really ridicolous though. 15% damage reduction and self heal for a 25 second cd was pretty crazy
Mageski

Unread postby Mageski Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Temporal Shield when you think of it was really ridicolous though. 15% damage reduction and self heal for a 25 second cd was pretty crazy
I'd kill for it on fights like Gruul though.

Return to “General Discussion”